M6 2022 - Availability?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I think all official Leica stores work this way in Europe anyway i.e. you can't actually pre-order on an official European Leica store but dealers websites are set up so you can even though they might not be able to fulfil this for months and of course they know this to. There have been various posts about this before in the sense that the dealers put an order into Leica for say 20 units, who can't confirm when it will turn up and also I don't think it's done on actually allocating the pre order they've taken, to the Leica system, by individuals.

In other words the dealers know they'll eventually get some stock so put the option to pre-order on their website to attract as many deposits/payments as possible but they'll always come after Leica fulfilling their orders direct from their sites as the item becomes available and then it's shipped (in Europe) direct from Germany within about 3-5 days.

You'll see a number of posts on say the 35mm APO when it came out with people thinking they had a firm order with Leica via a dealer and of course they didn't and the dealer kept changing the delivery date.

In Europe therefore the fastest way to get something new on launch is to add your email against the item and as soon as you get a stock alert go straight on and buy, it's simply first come first served. The other option is to pre-order with a dealer who actually runs a list of where you are, if you're in the top 10 then you stand some chance of getting it within a reasonable time after Leica starts shipping units from their website. Outside of that you're in the wilderness and it's very unlikely that anyone can give you a realistic date.

Edited by SJH

If I was in the market for a new M6 (which I'm currently not, but I'm weak so who knows), then I'd probably just wait until the dust settles and all of the early adopters have taken delivery of their cameras.  Remember, it's a regular production piece so there's no FOMO in play here...

Edited by logan2z

13 minutes ago, logan2z said:

If I was in the market for a new M6 (which I'm currently not, but I'm weak so who knows), then I'd probably just wait until the dust settles and all of the early adopters have taken delivery of their cameras.  Remember, it's a regular production piece so there's no FOMO in play here...

I agree with this however we all know that Leica has a penchant for releasing regular production pieces that are in high demand/low supply then casually raising the price of these items.  I'm thinking of the 35mm APO-Summicron-M.  Its price has gone up at least once since launch and many from the original release waiting list are still waiting for their copy.  In this environment, I think it's wise to get one while you can, while the price is where it is.

38 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I can't recall what I was looking to buy, but whatever it was the Leica USA site showed it as 'in stock' and the dealer I was trying to purchase from didn't have stock and couldn't tell me when they'd have any.  I naively said "But Leica's own site says they have them in stock, can't you just get one from them?' to which I was told 'That's not how it works'.  Apparently, Leica allocates stock to dealers using some sort of strategy and keeps some stock for sale through their own site.  And Leica dealers can't just order stock from Leica when they run low.  

Since Leica maintains its own e-commerce operation and the dealers I tend to buy from aren't local to me anyway, I'm not sure what the advantage is of buying from said dealers. Theoretically, it's more personalized service but that's certainly not always the case.

Yeah but this is a Leica Store, so the official Leica 'franchise', not a indie dealer that sells Leica (and is authorized to do so) as well as other gear.  Like B&H.

But it does seem I am experiencing what you describe. 

58 minutes ago, Huss said:

Yeah but this is a Leica Store, so the official Leica 'franchise', not a indie dealer that sells Leica (and is authorized to do so) as well as other gear.  Like B&H.

But it does seem I am experiencing what you describe. 

In my case it was Leica Store Miami, so an official franchisee. They still couldn't get the product, which I now remember was a 50mm Summicron v5.  Not exactly a rare/exotic product in the Leica lineup.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Kreeshp said:

I agree with this however we all know that Leica has a penchant for releasing regular production pieces that are in high demand/low supply then casually raising the price of these items.  I'm thinking of the 35mm APO-Summicron-M.  Its price has gone up at least once since launch and many from the original release waiting list are still waiting for their copy.  In this environment, I think it's wise to get one while you can, while the price is where it is.

Point taken, although I would think that the 35 APO Summicron would have a significantly wider appeal than the new M6. But then again they might make fewer of the M6s as well.

I personally don't like getting caught up in frenzy buying so I'll sit on the sidelines for now and see how this all plays out. 

Leica UK website does not ship outside the UK, so I wouldn't have been able to buy from them to take advantage of the exchange rate anyway.

When do Portuguese/German factories close for the holidays anyway?  Christmas, New Years, whatever else?  They have way better holidays in Europe than here in the US!

That would effect availability too.

Edited by Huss

Further on my comment in another thread - I got a notification from Leica UK that the camera was available for purchase.  Since previously it had not been available for purchase, I ASSUMED that if I still wanted to buy it here (UK) I could have done that.  Today the website shows it's "out of stock."  So I ASSUME there were at least a few M6's available...at least for a few minutes.

I watched the Camera West unboxing video. I noticed on the outside, the box that covers the Leica, original box, there's a big enormous California Prop 65 warning. This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. 

Must have used horrible thing like epoxy paint, etc.

Delays could be, in part, regulatory, packaging labels etc.

I've been through that before when I worked in the appliance industry. 

5 hours ago, mshchem said:

I watched the Camera West unboxing video. I noticed on the outside, the box that covers the Leica, original box, there's a big enormous California Prop 65 warning. This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. 

Must have used horrible thing like epoxy paint, etc.

Delays could be, in part, regulatory, packaging labels etc.

I've been through that before when I worked in the appliance industry. 

There’s pretty much a Prop 65 warning on everything.  It could be because of the one little battery that is in the box.  Or the Prop 65 sticker has some toxic glue on it.

• Like 1

has anyone actually received their new M6 in the meanwhile? 

I have subscribed to the email alert if it becomes available in the German online store from day 1 but have never received any alerts. Has it actually ever been available for online purchase since the release day (November 3rd)?

1 hour ago, Jewl said:

has anyone actually received their new M6 in the meanwhile? 

I have subscribed to the email alert if it becomes available in the German online store from day 1 but have never received any alerts. Has it actually ever been available for online purchase since the release day (November 3rd)?

Yes I received my on Monday after a couple of days delay shipping from Germany. In the UK it was available n the Leica UK store for about 30 minutes the previous week, that’s when I got mine. It was (unusually for Leica) available very early in the day so I expect that many people hadn’t seen their email alerts. I suspect therefore that whilst it was up for the 30 minutes there weren’t that many camera’s.

It’s a real joy right down to the 80’s style packaging when you open the box, it’s now loaded with Portra 400!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Telecaster:

I have placed an order but did not receive any info when it will arrive. I got frustrated and ordered an MP. 🙂

Best,

Andreas

And my MP has already arrived. Wow this looks and feels amazing. Initially I was not sure I would like the shiny black paint, but I think it just looks stunning in reality. 😍 Also love the minimalist look with no logo, the film advance lever in full metal feels great.

I loaded an HP5+ and now I am going to shot film again - first time after 25 years or so. I am super excited - x-mas is early this year!!!! 🤓👏

Cheers, Andreas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Am 17.11.2022 um 17:54 schrieb Telecaster:

And my MP has already arrived. Wow this looks and feels amazing. Initially I was not sure I would like the shiny black paint, but I think it just looks stunning in reality. 😍 Also love the minimalist look with no logo, the film advance lever in full metal feels great.

I loaded an HP5+ and now I am going to shot film again - first time after 25 years or so. I am super excited - x-mas is early this year!!!! 🤓👏

Cheers, Andreas

Nice! Love the MP look!

also, just got the feedback from one of the Leica Stores in Germany that they expect a waiting time of at least half a year… wow. That would be very annoying especially as the demand could have been better forecasted I believe… 😞 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Jewl:

Nice! Love the MP look!

also, just got the feedback from one of the Leica Stores in Germany that they expect a waiting time of at least half a year… wow. That would be very annoying especially as the demand could have been better forecasted I believe… 😞 

oh wow - half a year is long!! But I think Leica is not unhappy to see demand exceeding supply. I guess it's part of their brand positioning. They may also keep supply low in the beginning in order to create a bit of buzz - similar to other luxury brands.

Cheers,

Andreas

I received mine this week. It's my first film M. The last time I shot film was with an SLR 25 years ago. I put a roll of HP5+ in and look forward to developing it later. I chose the M6 over the others because the black paint on my M11 has held up so well and I'm not a big fan of brassing. The finish on the M6 is smoother than on the M11 and feels like black chrome.

Overall I'm very enamored with this thing. It looks and feels amazing.

Edited by mosh1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Last weekend Leica Store Wetzlar told me 3 to 4 months waiting time for the new m6 and 6 months for a black paint mp.

They could not give an estimate on the waiting time for the new 35mm summilux steel rim.

• Like 1