M9 Monochrom converted to M9M-P

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm wondering if anyone has had their M9M converted to M9M-P for the improved shutter, and if so what cost would I expect? 

I have queried Leica NJ but could not get a straight answer beyond " send in your camera and we will look at it." They also do not give estimates without having the camera in the shop.

Thanks, Brent

In what way was the M9-P shutter different from that of the M9? As far as I was aware (having owned both models and still owning an M Monochrom) the only real* change was the adoption of a sapphire-glass screen for the P model.

Philip.

* i.e. non-cosmetic.

Yes, the M9-P changes were merely cosmetic… top plate engraving and dot deletion, sapphire screen… the shutter was unchanged.  Some were nevertheless willing to spend near $2k at the time for a complete upgrade, and about $1300 just for the screen.

The M Monochrom already essentially is a P version, including sapphire screen.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Yes, the M9-P changes were merely cosmetic… top plate engraving and dot deletion, sapphire screen… the shutter was unchanged...
The M Monochrom already essentially is a P version, including sapphire screen...

Thanks; that's what I thought. My own M Monochrom is even more like the M9-P in that it has the Leica script engraving on the top-plate (cue gratuitous photo-op...:lol:...)...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the many platform benefits of the M10M vs M9M, sensor/rendering aside. The M10M incorporates the M10-P design benefits, including quiet shutter, as well all the other M10 platform build quality improvements… VF/RF, weather sealing, etc.  The M10 (and M240 before it) also eliminated the awful shutter re-cock sound from the M9, which is separate from the shutter ‘click’ sound.  Discreet mode only delayed the inevitable.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 20.11.2022 um 21:39 schrieb fotografr:

The only improvement I would have hoped for in converting to M9M-P is a quieter shutter. That was one of the more significant improvements with the M10-P over the standard M10. 

I use both and the shutter of my 9P is significantly softer than that of my M9. It's more muted and feels half as loud, so every time I switch to the M9 I get a real shock. My M9P sounds almost like my M246, only with more length. The M9P does not have the strong click sound of the M9. You should test it at the dealer?
Marcus

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biotar said:

I use both and the shutter of my 9P is significantly softer than that of my M9. It's more muted and feels half as loud, so every time I switch to the M9 I get a real shock. My M9P sounds almost like my M246, only with more length. The M9P does not have the strong click sound of the M9. You should test it at the dealer?
Marcus

And some feel the opposite.  Probably as much to do with sample variation, lens mounted, shooting conditions. etc. 

Leica states that it’s the same shutter.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, pippy said:

Thanks; that's what I thought. My own M Monochrom is even more like the M9-P in that it has the Leica script engraving on the top-plate (cue gratuitous photo-op...:lol:...)...

Philip.

I recognise that . . . even without the boysenberry leather covering 😃  

Must say it does look nice with that chrome 90mm lens!

• Haha 1

I'm so glad I walked into Red Dot that morning...

Hopefully you are having as much fun with the M10M as I am with 'your' special-order. I do still have the Boysenberry leather and occasionally think about re-skinning the body. Perhaps some day I'll gird my loins and return it to factory-spec?......:-k......

Philip.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:12 AM, pippy said:

I'm so glad I walked into Red Dot that morning...

Hopefully you are having as much fun with the M10M as I am with 'your' special-order. I do still have the Boysenberry leather and occasionally think about re-skinning the body. Perhaps some day I'll gird my loins and return it to factory-spec?......:-k......

Philip.

You must atone and return that gorgeous red!

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 5:02 AM, pippy said:

Philip.

My M9 Monochrom is identical to yours! Stefan Daniel did this per my request. There are most likely only a handful of M9 M cameras in silver chrome and M9-P top engraving.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

You must atone and return that gorgeous red!

Ha!Ha! Hi Setuporg; hope you are well?

Yes; as you know the Boysenberry leather has been put aside and from time to time I do think about doing just that. Perhaps in time for Summer?...

5 hours ago, derleicaman said:

My M9 Monochrom is identical to yours! Stefan Daniel did this per my request. There are most likely only a handful of M9 M cameras in silver chrome and M9-P top engraving.

Hi Bill! Interesting to hear that. I've no idea how many M Monochroms were produced in S-Chrome but, of those that were, I can readily believe that not many received the Engraving treatment. As alluded to in the three previous posts when I acquired the camera (s/h with 114 clicks) it had a different covering. T25UFO, the original owner (see post #9) and who, I believe, ordered it through the a-la-carte programme, was informed by Leica that it is the only MM so finished. This (previously posted) pic shows what it was like on the day it came home with me;

Philip.

EDIT : Completely unimportant trivia, of course, but for those who might be curious some of the backstory behind the camera pictured above - including the reasoning behind the re-skin -  is related (quite 'in-depth') in a few posts within this thread starting from post #9;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/310784-silver-monochrom/#comments

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1