What does the D in M10-D stand for?

sunung1188

2 hours ago, Chimichurri said:

Just means “Digital” since it looks just like a film camera and at first glance you may say, where’s the film advance lever? Well, it’s an M-D (Digital). The D says I’m not an analogue camera. 

So the original Leica MD series cameras from the 60’s were really digital bodies, far ahead of their times? 

Jeff

• Haha 2

Because I've wondered this too, I sent the question to Leica to get an answer once and for all. In less than 10 minutes, I got this answer:

Dear Mr. Vikne,

Neither the M10-D nor the M-D have a rear display.
While I personally think, they should have been called M10-ND and M-ND respectively, the D stands for "no display".

Best regards,

Tim Ketzer

Leica Camera AG
Customer Care

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, evikne said:

Because I've wondered this too, I sent the question to Leica to get an answer once and for all. In less than 10 minutes, I got this answer:

Dear Mr. Vikne,

While I personally think, they should have been called M10-ND and M-ND respectively, the D stands for "no display".

Best regards,

Tim Ketzer

Leica Camera AG
Customer Care

So the original MD stood for no viewfinder, no rangefinder?  Post #7 seems more likely.

Jeff

The answer from Leica to evikne would make perfect sense if the - isn't perceived as a hyphen at all but the mathematical symbol 'minus'; M minus Display (version of the) Typ262 / M10 minus Display. This would also explain why these pair of cameras are not called the M minus No Display and the M10 minus No Display...

Hmmm....in which case where does that leave the M10-R?.........

OK; Carry On!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

So the original Leica MD series cameras from the 60’s were really digital bodies, far ahead of their times? 

Jeff

13 hours ago, evikne said:

Dear Mr. Vikne,

Best regards,

Tim Ketzer

If Jeff got this email he would’ve said “So the original Leica MD series cameras from the 60’s were really digital bodies with Displays!, far ahead of their times? 

Jeff”

Maybe they should make it “Devoid” of something. Since the D’s seem to be lacking something. 

4 minutes ago, Chimichurri said:

If Jeff got this email he would’ve said “So the original Leica MD series cameras from the 60’s were really digital bodies with Displays!, far ahead of their times? 

Jeff”

Maybe they should make it “Devoid” of something. Since the D’s seem to be lacking something. 

Post #7…. ‘Deleted’

Jeff

24 minutes ago, grahamc said:

My guess is 'Damn' - for every time you look at a memory card full of photos taken with the lens cap on 

Sorry Graham, I don't agree 😵.

Impossible with my M-D, if I take care not leaving the shutter button other position than "A".

After the first frame, the long "speed" will warn operator and this "speed" blinking  in VF will double, no way to cancel this.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Sorry Graham, I don't agree 😵.

Impossible with my M-D, if I take care not leaving the shutter button other position than "A".

After the first frame, the long "speed" will warn operator and this "speed" blinking  in VF will double, no way to cancel this.

It sounds like a great feature. I had wondered what the A (“attached”) mode was for ! 😁

Edited by grahamc

the 'Darkside'  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

I changed the buttons to black.  So happy with it that I sold my 10-P reporter the day after receiving it 

How did you go about that? Did Leica do it for you? I would love to get the brass black painted top from the Leica m10r BP put on…

• Like 1

After endless digging, I think I can now quite confidently confirm that the D stands for, ‘Das Wesentliche’ - which translates in English to, ‘The Essentials’.

I found a M60 owner back in the day that said this was brought up in an interview with Leica when they released the M60 - the first M without a back screen.

This is as close as I can get to the meaning of D but don’t quote me on it - but it does make sense! (Keeping only the essentials for photography).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sunung1188 said:

After endless digging, I think I can now quite confidently confirm that the D stands for, ‘Das Wesentliche’ - which translates in English to, ‘The Essentials’.

I found a M60 owner back in the day that said this was brought up in an interview with Leica when they released the M60 - the first M without a back screen.

This is as close as I can get to the meaning of D but don’t quote me on it - but it does make sense! (Keeping only the essentials for photography).

I strongly doubt that, because the German word "Das" just means "the". It's just an article with no meaning in itself. 

It's a bit strange that no one seems to accept the response from Leica Customer Care in post #23, but continues to search for an answer.

• Like 3