Sign in to follow this  
techpan

Most compact leica lens made...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...It's an outstanding lens...

Really like its bokeh Sean?

Seen on the web here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/82004301

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/CV_3525_bokeh_03.jpg&key=5803b8fdbb80b98d1b30e0b1c03e35323e0c30258a72d291ce896bbaf4f1fa4b">

Sean, are you suggesting its better to buy a 35mm Color Skopar in screw mount and buy like say a millich adapter so you can code it easily rather than buying an M mount version?

Yes, exactly. The two are supposed to be optically identical and, having owned both, they indeed seem to perform identically. You could also have the P II version milled but that's a more involved process.

Cheers,

Sean

[quote name=carstenw;366633

Sean' date=' I didn't realise that this was that lens in your review. I will go back and re-check, thanks.[/quote]

Hi Carsten,

The tested version was the Skopar version. It's the same optically and also extremely compact.

Cheers,

Sean

Looks a bit shorter than the 40/2. Without hood & cap i mean, otherwise the 40/2 is the winner due to its collapsing rubber hood and snap-on cap.

(28/2.8A - 35/2 IV - 40/2 - 50/2.8)

For practical purposes I find the 50/2.8 Elmar a pig of a lens to have to pull out each time you want to use it. The 40/2.0 is 'ready' all the time, one-stop faster and more compact AND Cheaper!

[/url]

Sure, it looks good in the pictures I've made. Although my tendency, at various focal lengths, is to have a compact lens (for use outdoors) and a less compact, but faster, lens for use in low light.

I need to finish the OOF section of the 35 mm lenses reviews, don't I? I'm part way there.

Cheers,

Sean

Looks a bit shorter than the 40/2. Without hood & cap i mean, otherwise the 40/2 is the winner due to its collapsing rubber hood and snap-on cap.

Thanks for that very useful picture.

Cheers,

Sean

the question is, which is more compact and lighter. The The 35/2.5 Color Skopar PII or the 40/2.0 Summicron C ?

My guess is the 40/2.0 is still the better lens if you are a speed freak. Now imagine if the CV brought out a pancake 35/2.0 or 35/1.4!

The only thing I can see where the CV lens will swing the vote is if people want to code the lens with an adapter (much more hassle witht the 40/2.0 as it is already M mount). And also for some reason if the CV has better colour, as the 40/2.0 is a few decades old now

Sean, is the 35/2.5 Color Skopar PII still available in screw mount. It seems here in the UK that only the M mouont is available

[/url]

Sure, it looks good in the pictures I've made...

Are your pics different to the above one and those?

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/CV_3525_bokeh_01.jpg&key=8341602626519230b05bb1b49a4f76039d6521d636fa4bba0041b241efe14245">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/CV_3525_bokeh_01crop.jpg&key=c50fc17f342431953d54f8555f1947bffc04e4dc8f946e1777c1a137e7335efe">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/CV_3525_bokeh_02.jpg&key=bd2cfa220639b4c54bf05f48638b572f7fa10363f9fd5495fcb427b21264546d">

Sean, is the 35/2.5 Color Skopar PII still available in screw mount. It seems here in the UK that only the M mouont is available

Hi Sparkie,

The PII, by definition, is an M-mount lens. The 35/2.5 Skopar (same internals, different body, LTM) is still available though I believe its out of production.

Cheers,

Sean

the question is, which is more compact and lighter. The The 35/2.5 Color Skopar PII or the 40/2.0 Summicron C ?

That was only half the qestion --- OP originally asked, " I wanted to ask if anyone knows which lens is the smaller one and also if there is another lens out there that I missed that might be more compact."

Hence my comment on the 28 Hektor

Cheers,

CV lenses and Bokeh... It's why I much prefer Leica glass myself. I have a 15 and a 21 P, but the Bokeh on the 21P looks just like yours Ict --- all falls to a smeary mush in the background when focused close or bothersome, clumpy highlights when focused mid. Too bad, because I really like most everything else about the lens. The 15 has almost unlimited DoF the way I use it, usually f8 --- and I use it only rarely to begin with --- so Bokeh isn't as much of a concern. But it's troublesome on the 21. As soon as I find a *good* replacement, that 21P is his-tor-y...

Sean, since you seem to be getting better, or at least different, results with yours and have done all that testing, maybe you can 'splain to us why the variation? I mean I realize there is a focal difference, but lct and I are getting similar bokeh results with two different focal CV lenses...

Cheers,

Hi Sparkie,

The PII, by definition, is an M-mount lens. The 35/2.5 Skopar (same internals, different body, LTM) is still available though I believe its out of production.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks for info Sean. The 35/2.5 Skopar looks a lot bigger than the PII. The reason I like the PII is for its compactness. You sure its the same internals? how can they pack all that (in the Skopar) into the PII

That was only half the qestion --- OP originally asked, " I wanted to ask if anyone knows which lens is the smaller one and also if there is another lens out there that I missed that might be more compact."

Hence my comment on the 28 Hektor

Cheers,

Heh, looks like you're right Jack. I'm not a SM guy myself which is why I missed this lens on my 'radar'. What leitz or Leica lenses have you got in your arsenal now. Or is it too long to list?

Hi Carsten,

I happen to love very compact lenses myself. The Leica lenses have been covered pretty well above but here are some others (pardon the overlap of my list with previous posts).

Canon 28/2.8 LTM

Canon 35/2.8 LTM

CV 12

CV 15

CV 21 (LTM or M)

CV 15 (LTM or M)

CV 28/3.5 (the great sleeper lens)

CV 35/2.5 (LTM or M)

Zeiss 21/4.5

Cheers,

Sean

Sean, any reason you left out the CV 25?

Sean, any reason you left out the CV 25?

I think the "CV 15 (LTM or M)" line was meant to be the 25, as the 15 was already mentioned and there is no M version.

Hi Sparkie,

Cheers,

Sean

One factor is that the M-mount lenses look a bit more solid, and perhaps offer more reliable quality. In your recent review, it took 4 CV 21/4 samples to get a good one, and you had a good 21/4 P on the first try. (I have one on order. We'll see soon if the 21P goes 2 for 2 or 1 for 2.) I agree that getting it bar coded is more of a hassle.

Two more super compact old-style lenses that you still see around -- the Canon 35/2.0 is tiny, and the 50/2 Summicron collapsible is quite sharp and tiny when collapsed.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.pbase.com/skirkp/image/78263193.jpg&key=f00373f5d97a40738dcfc20c0e702673100d850d2365040eb80485fb5fca3231">

The 35/2.0 is not is the same league for image quality -- sort of a portrait lens.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.pbase.com/skirkp/image/73201570.jpg&key=c74635077b1e9c2e3b10d57f65202c50e2dd14420f0fce7e48c8ed19b4d9b886">

regards,

scott

Looks a bit shorter than the 40/2. Without hood & cap i mean, otherwise the 40/2 is the winner due to its collapsible rubber hood and snap-on cap.

Ah yes, the 50/2.8 is only compact when on the camera and collapsed. That 40/2 is tiny...

For practical purposes I find the 50/2.8 Elmar a pig of a lens to have to pull out each time you want to use it.

I don't have the 50/2.8 but I agree with you when using the 90/4. More than once, I've been taking pictures after forgetting to extend it. Not great results...