M11 - just one aspect ratio?

Jon Warwick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am I right to think there is zero way to change the aspect ratio on the M11, ie, it’s always 3x2 only? …..I don’t have an M11, hence why asking, I’d have thought it might have been possible in live view / Visoflex, but I don’t think that’s the case? I often print on 20x16” paper so something akin to the 4:3 aspect ratio that can be done on SLs would have been useful for visualisation.

Alternatively is there any other way to visualise the 4:3 ratio, ie, can one set up a “grid” overlay in live view to at least approximate where different aspect ratios might fall?

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 1

If you use turn on the 6x6 grid in Capture Assistants you can effectively get a square within that grid to aid composition for 1:1 ratio images for EVF/Live View. It's pretty busy visually but you should be able to get used to it. There is no other support for square imaging in the M11. 

Edited by sdk
  • Thanks 1

I think the only M that had Frame lines options was the M10 special edition for 100 years of cinematographers , ASC 100.

There are to grid option on the M11 available in LV

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I think the only M that had Frame lines options was the M10 special edition for 100 years of cinematographers , ASC 100.

There are to grid option on the M11 available in LV

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks, the top grid looks quite useful if one visually crops off the far-left and far-right hand columns, not far off 4x3 and certainly better than a complete guess of how much to crop in post from the 3x2 aspect ratio.

Actually you can easily set guiding frame lines for 1:1 and other aspect ratios for EVF and Live view on the Leica M series (typ 240). Pressing the up or down buttons on the multifunction control while live view is on switches between differ guide lines or none. It is easy to accidentally change them. But they don't affect the file output. 

Edited by sdk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

If you are just using the back of the screen ! just get a screen protector and a marker.

Visoflex is going to be harder.

Good point re marker pen on a screen protector. I’m quite a regular user of a tripod, even with Ms, so it’s more feasible in my circumstances than it might sound for many!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Am I right to think there is zero way to change the aspect ratio on the M11, ie, it’s always 3x2 only? …..I don’t have an M11, hence why asking, I’d have thought it might have been possible in live view / Visoflex, but I don’t think that’s the case? I often print on 20x16” paper so something akin to the 4:3 aspect ratio that can be done on SLs would have been useful for visualisation.

Alternatively is there any other way to visualise the 4:3 ratio, ie, can one set up a “grid” overlay in live view to at least approximate where different aspect ratios might fall?

I would make a little mask from black paper to stick on the viewfinder.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Just like with any full-frame film camera. Even if you could change the aspect-ratio in-camera, you would lose sensor area.  So, just like with film, and as advised above, just mask your LCD for the composition you want.  Or shoot away and crop in post.  Back with film you could have extra focus screens and sharpie the size you wanted right on the focus-screen.  Alas, no mas. 

Leica could offer it in firmware

To make the M10-P 'ASC 100 Edition' a tool for professional cinematographers, it will enable users to select from different frame lines used in cinematography. Once activated, the corresponding frame lines are displayed as a bright-line frame. This enables cinematographers and directors to view and assess scenes with any desired lens before shooting begins.

• 9 months later...