MP or M7 or Nikon F6?

fursan

Tomas, thanks a lot. I guess it worked after all!

I hope you too get your MP soon, if that's what you wish for.

Regards.

Congratulations!!! I guess that my telepathy worked!! Only the bad thing is that I don't have MP :)

I got a silver MP last week and spent the weekend shooting the fall leaves in Wisconsin with slides. They came out to be some of the best pictures I've taken in my life! I traded in my Canon EOS 1D MkII for the MP.

I'm really happy :o)

Next month I'm going to get a Pentax K10D (I think). So then I'll have covered my purist and techno sides.

Enjoyed this thread.

Munish,

Congratulations. may you enjoy your MP in good health.

I have not received mine yet, but am waiting anxiously. Never used a film leica

before, so am a bit apprehensive, and raring to learn about film!

Best.

I got a silver MP last week and spent the weekend shooting the fall leaves in Wisconsin with slides. They came out to be some of the best pictures I've taken in my life! I traded in my Canon EOS 1D MkII for the MP.

I'm really happy :o)

Next month I'm going to get a Pentax K10D (I think). So then I'll have covered my purist and techno sides.

Enjoyed this thread.

• 1 year later...

I have a F6 for almost 5years now. I dont know what to think about this camera. It has some problems with film rewinding, sometimes it stops with frame around 24, sometimes it does not rewind film completely to the cassette at the end. It is really annoying, ...i have damaged quite a few rolls when i was opening back too soon. The second problem are batteries: they are completely full ...or flat empty. It is a problem when you camera suddenly stops working without any warning in the middle of nothing. Than the DOF button just felt off after few weeks of usage. There was no any mechanical damage to the camera,...it just felt off. Reapairing was 150€. I dont know,...it happens, but it would be better if it would not.

Beside that it is heavy and big, which is, i think the bigest problem with this camera. You can not carry around camera like this all day...or do street photography, travel photography,..... It is pain and it is not fun.

Viewfinder should be bigger and brigther. Im crazy about huge viewfinders. My 35 years OM10 has bigger VF,... i dont understand why.

Im not happy with Nikon lens. It is true, ..i havent used any of the top lens they have,...but medium priced lens are almost all plastic, low quality build, ......shortly,..cheap.

It has a lot of functions which i have never used. I just want to take photos and not making space shuttle licence. Shooting film with this,...i would even dare to say,...half digital camera is not fun. It fells like driving electric car,..drinking non alcohol beer,...and so on.

What is good about F6?

It has that "holding a gun" felling. It fells solid, well made. When i was in Sahara desert it went so hot that i burned my finger on the black prism. ... but it was working perfectly.

there is something important missing here: What do you want to do with it?

I totally agree! But in 5 years i didn't find what F6 is good for. Maybe it is good for travel photography in extreme environments because it is reliable,..but again,..it is heavy and clumsy. It is a camera that pros would use,...if there was no digital.

As you have a ZI and a M8 with a large set of lenses already, there's a lot of wisdom is this advice.... Use well what you own; the tools you have are awesome. Lusting after more gear is merely wanting for the sake of having, the acquisitive philosophy of Smaug the dragon applied to camera gear; I think James is definitely onto something.

Thomasw what do you think of the sonnar 1.5? I am very tempted by this lens because of its potential unique characteristics?

I shoot alot of soft focus for figure and portrait using LF 4x5 and 8x10. I have a Cooke ps945 which starts out with incredible soft focus and gradually sharpens up. I also shoot 8x10 with an ultimate and unique Pinkham & Smith series II semi-achromat from the early 1900's.

I dont have a legit soft(softer) focus lens for my 35 mm rangefinders and can not seem to find alot of detailed info by anyone shooting this lens for these attributes. Most modern LRF users seem to be preoccupied with sharpness - to the detriment of all other characteristics.

There is no dealer here in Scottsdale, AZ who has this lens available to test or I would go check it out myself.

George

Thomasw what do you think of the sonnar 1.5? I am very tempted by this lens because of its potential unique characteristics?

I shoot alot of soft focus for figure and portrait using LF 4x5 and 8x10. I have a Cooke ps945 which starts out with incredible soft focus and gradually sharpens up. I also shoot 8x10 with an ultimate and unique Pinkham & Smith series II semi-achromat from the early 1900's.

I dont have a legit soft(softer) focus lens for my 35 mm rangefinders and can not seem to find alot of detailed info by anyone shooting this lens for these attributes. Most modern LRF users seem to be preoccupied with sharpness - to the detriment of all other characteristics.

There is no dealer here in Scottsdale, AZ who has this lens available to test or I would go check it out myself.

George

I am very pleased with it, George. I bought mine from Popflash optimized for f1,5, as it made sense to have a speedy lens focus correctly wide open; I find at smaller aperatures, the increased DoF covers the slight shift -- indeed I have yet to lose a picture due to it. You must love the celestial glow of portraiture with a Sonnar? If you do, I recommend the lens very highly. There are a few recent image samples on my flickr page. Here's a couple that capture the qualities of the lens rather well:>

3557458679_1f8760c423_b.jpg

3573837933_37272f358c_b.jpg

thomasw. Not meaning to hj this thread. The Sonnar looks to be a magnificent lens for its unique rendering. Im going to call popflash and see if they can correct this lens to focus at 1.5. Ill just get a couple of ND filters if needed to shoot shallow. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...

I have an F6 as well as M5-7-8s. They really are very different tools and your type of photography can help you pick the right tool.

I can tell you the F6 is a terrific camera... I just shot it at Pebble Beach this last weekend. That said for street shooting It's almost always one of my Ms.

Enjoy!

Kent

Different tools for different jobs - discreet intimate photography with wide angels/normal lenses RF all the way. Tele or macro work, buy a SLR. If you can't make the right tool work for the right job, practise ! It won't matter if it's a ZI, Voigtlander or Leica, it takes time to get used to shooting RF; it is a whole lot easier focussing wides and standard lenses with RF than manual SLR.

Enjoy your new MP and tell your wife you've had it some time!!!

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
Help me choose, please.

I have a ZI, but not totally satisfied with it. Superb VF..but..

with the F6 I have a complete set of lenses..I mean complete.

I have a M8 with lenses from 15 to 90mm minus 24mm.

Lust beckons and the wife is unaware of some freed funds!

Help, Please.

I would see the freed funds as something you should discuss with your wife. That is if you respect her and don't wish to be deceitful and then with her full understanding you will be able to make a choice in a much more open and honest way

In the past month I sold an F6 to buy an M6. The F6 is a terrific camera, but behaves much like a digital SLR...fast, highly automated, lots of modes, etc. It's a rugged, big, heavy point and shoot.

The M6 is slower, more methodical, and more discreet. People react differently to the cameras. To the F6, people tend to wonder who you shoot for, and some don't want to cooperate. To the M6, it looks like a little personal camera, and people don't seem threatened by it.

In order to get the F6 experience, I bought a D700...a really terrific SLR. But I really like bumming around the city with an M6 classic and a 35/2 mounted on the front. Different cameras for sure, but for film, I feel the M's are a natural. For all the automation of the F6, I'd rather shoot a digital SLR. It WAS, however, bulletproof. I shot the F6 in a driving rainstorm, got inside, and wiped it down...no problem.

Hi Folks,

Almost 2 years have gone by since I started this thread. Overwhelming response, suggestion and informative discussion in this thread. Thank you all for your kind and considered inputs.

A postscript...I now just have a D700 and 2 zf lenses. Sold all the others except the

28/1.4 and 85/1.4. Could not part with them.

The F6 went the way of all dreams..pooof!

The ZI needs to be sent to zeiss for VA correction. Never really used it. Sad.

M8/MP/M7 and a set of fab lenses is what I enjoy nowadays.

Did not need to tell the wife anything, since I took an early retirement and am content to use existing equipment till one of us gives way.

Best regards.

p.s. will there be a new M8 or 4/3? don't really care.:D