MP or M7 or Nikon F6?

fursan

Thomas, you are sagacious. my lust seems to have cooled considerable after a

fiasco I had on ebay yesterday. There is a thread about it in the customers forum.

best wishes.

As you have a ZI and a M8 with a large set of lenses already, there's a lot of wisdom is this advice.... Use well what you own; the tools you have are awesome. Lusting after more gear is merely wanting for the sake of having, the acquisitive philosophy of Smaug the dragon applied to camera gear; I think James is definitely onto something.

i can relate fursan....sadly. i would prefer to pay a bit more and deal with someone who is accountable. but i am glad that currently i am quite content with my existing small film RF kit (4 lenses, 2 bodies), so i have no film related lusts :) at some point, though, i'd like to acquire a digital M....

I wish I could start from scratch all over again. I would limit myself to max 2 bodies

and 2 lenses. But I have been foolish..though have enjoyed the very expensive ride.

luckily, have no regrets monetarily but regret having succumbed to marketing

pressures. Oh well, you only live once.

Hope you enjoy your hobbies in health and happiness.

i can relate fursan....sadly. i would prefer to pay a bit more and deal with someone who is accountable. but i am glad that currently i am quite content with my existing small film RF kit (4 lenses, 2 bodies), so i have no film related lusts :) at some point, though, i'd like to acquire a digital M....

It is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking "if only I had that body or this lens........." I'm sure we've all done it at some point. I have far too much equipment but that's because I find it hard to sell stuff - I keep telling myself to rationalize and sell the stuff I don't use, but there's always a chance I'll need to use it again!

Yet when I go on a trip I take a very limited amount of equipment and rarely feel I needed more.

So right Stefen. Things I can see.

My question is probably answered by my response before, personally I seldomly use the macro or long telephoto lens.

I assume you are familiar with SLRs - the viewfinder is a question of taste. For myself I made the observation I look 'through' the SLR finder rather and tend to ignore objects in the image which disturb me later in the image.

But then there are other people who don't like rangefinders...

James, i guess i am falling into this same trap. i too have far too much stuff. excatly

how i feel.

i did the right thing to ask advice of others. they have surely advised me wisely.

thank you all for it.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking "if only I had that body or this lens........." I'm sure we've all done it at some point. I have far too much equipment but that's because I find it hard to sell stuff - I keep telling myself to rationalize and sell the stuff I don't use, but there's always a chance I'll need to use it again!

Yet when I go on a trip I take a very limited amount of equipment and rarely feel I needed more.

MP, problems, what problems?!

I've only one and it's been in continuous use over the past three years now.

The first problem has arisen now, once every few rolls light lines in the frame but remember, this is after thousands of rolls without any malfunction.

And this camera is realy used ( USED ) documentary and reportage stuff in awkward environments.

Bump, scratch, drop, ouch!

There's a lot of complaints about the MP on the internet but people I know that have and use them are all very pleased with it so forgetting about it for reasons of reliability is not just imho.

regards,

Francis

Bad luck two in a row.

Anything technical can and eventually will fail.

Unfortunaly this counts M7's and F6's in as well.

I just seem to be lucky with cameras, my dslr Nikon works fine, the Mamiya too.

And the MP, i'm confident it'll be OK again after the CLA.

Still it is mainly a choice of RF fully manual or A priority in a small package or all the automation you can wish but with view through the lens in a rather large piece of equipment.

without any hesitation I´d go for the M7 since you´re used to rangefinder photography. the apature priority exposure is very convenient but doesn´t change the nature of the camera compared to an M6/MP too much from my point of view (if you´re more puristic minded, go for the MP)

I myself sold all my SLR stuff (Nikon FE2 / FM) a while after I got addicted to M. I would find it very very hard and inconvenient to use such a clumsy body like the F6.

yours

olaf

Help me choose, please.

I have a ZI, but not totally satisfied with it. Superb VF..but..

with the F6 I have a complete set of lenses..I mean complete.

I have a M8 with lenses from 15 to 90mm minus 24mm.

Lust beckons and the wife is unaware of some freed funds!

Help, Please.

We will only confirm what you already know. Ask yourself. Why did I buy the F6; what do I like about it; why did I buy the M8, what do I like about it. Do I want to live without M camera or without F6. If you are happy with the F6 go for it. You have the ZI, so you know very well the shortcomings of an RF system compared to SLR, as well as the advantages.

Guest darkstar2004
Meters kept breaking even after a couple of services. Finally, had them fixed and sold them.

MP, hands down. I've had mine since they first came out and have had not one problem. Before I got the MP, I briefly considered the M7. I do not regret choosing the MP; I like the full manual capability and the fact that it will continue to function even with a dead battery.

I have Nikon for applications like macro and long lens work, where the Nikon system exceeds the capabilities of the M system, but for all around photography, it's the MP I reach for first.

Sorry to hear of your meter failures, Joe. As FRC points out though, any man made device can break, even a Leica MP.

I have Nikon for applications like macro and long lens work, where the Nikon system exceeds the capabilities of the M system.

I use my F5 for telephoto starting at 85mm. It's easier to my eyes. But I guess telephoto is an SLR thing. My eyes on Rangefinder is only good through 75mm. Leica R would've been better if it has the AF capability. Let's see what the coming R10 has. I hope it come with AF, matrix metering and vibration control. Pls... but not the 8 AA battery of the F5.

-Ron

California State University, Fullerton

I have an M6TTL, M3, F-100, and a F5. I have an internal struggle deciding what kit to take each time I go out to shoot for pleasure--Nikon or Leica, Leica or Nikon???

They are totally different cameras, and I'm glad I have them both. The Nikon is the better all around kit for telephoto, macro, and general photography. The Leicas are just plain Magic!

I'm actually considering buying an M7 or an MP to replace my M6TTL.

I am thrilled. My brand new black paint MP is speeding to me on its way from

London. I should have it by Friday/Saturday. Just cannot wait to get it in my hands

and start trying it out.

I would like to thank all folks in this forum, who were kind enough to make suggestions

and recommendations. This has played a significant part in my decision to go with

the MP.

Thank you all and best regards.