Leica Q Sharpness/AF issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I’m in need of some opinions/help:

I recently bought a 2016 Q second hand. 
The camera is aesthetically perfect and all functions seem to be working fine except for the fact that the images aren’t as sharp as I expected. First of all what I see on my screen isn’t what I get as a DNG file. I know they aren’t the same thing (screen is brighter and just a preview) but still the AF isn’t precise and I get a lot of motion blur (at least that’s what I think it is) even at high shutter speed. Very rarely do I get sharp results. Overall the quality isn’t good enough. I also get a lot of noise at 400/800 ISO. I can’t figure out what the issue might be/what I’m doing wrong. Maybe the old battery? I have read somewhere this can influence the AF performance. Many thanks or you help!

Hi all

Here are some straight out of camera shots. I am not sure if I'm sharing/uploading the image correctly

Thank you for taking the time to help, it is much appreciated!

This photo: ISO 400, f 1.7, 1/320, exposure program normal

I appreciate that the subject's hands are moving but I feel like there should be way more sharpness and detailing especially on the skin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This photo: ISO 400, f 2.2, 1/1250, exposure program manual

Here the focus seems to be more on the grass at the bird's feet (than on the bird itself) so that might be the issue but I got a lot of shots with the same problem even trying to manually change the area(s) in focus 

Might just be that I need to practice zone focusing more?

This photo: ISO 400, f 2.8, 1/1000, exposure program manual

In this one I specifically focused on the kid and father but it is not sharp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So far, I don't see a general problem (taking into account that the images probably lost some sharpness due to forum downsizing).
The first picture has a rather shallow depth of field and the sharpest point seems to be on the paper, not on the hand. So maybe just missed focus? Same seems to be true for the bird, focus is on the body/leg, not the head. With the third picture I don't see a problem actually.
Depending on what you've used previously, the Q has a learning curve.
Things you could check/try:
Is AF in AFs or AFc mode? AFc isn't great on the Q, stick to AFs to begin with.
I don't have my Q at hand right now, so I'm not sure it has this. But some cameras have an option for AF priority or shutter (speed?) priority when you press the trigger. This could lead to the camera taking the picture before the focus is perfect.
To find out if the camera has focus issues in general, you could take a couple of AF shots of something and then use MF with peaking to set the focus perfectly by hand. Preferably from a tripod or set the camera on a table. If the AF shots are consistently less sharp (e. g. focus is always behind the object), something's wrong.

Do you expect too much? Lets take the peacock. That bird is moving. Maybe next time you could make a few shots of the sceene to be sure to get at least one sharp one.

The first image is focused on the left hand of the man (or paper at that spot) and to me the result seems to be fine. But here too the hand is moving. You used 1/320s which can be too long.

Try to practise with fully still sceenes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Is the focus metering frame in the center of the viewing screen? If not a double tap should recenter it. What focus metering are you using? Multi-field, Field, Face recognition, Spot or Tracking? All make a difference.

Hello

I use 1 point/spot

Yes, it starts in the centre then I move it to the subject I want in focus

16 hours ago, LeicaKyu2 said:

Could it be that your aperture setting is too wide? 

Hello

Yes, absolutely. At the beginning I realised most shots had too wide an aperture. The other day I made sure to use it differently but unfortunately still got the same issue

Please see this photo: ISO 400, f 10, 1/320, exposure program manual

12 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Do you expect too much? Lets take the peacock. That bird is moving. Maybe next time you could make a few shots of the sceene to be sure to get at least one sharp one.

The first image is focused on the left hand of the man (or paper at that spot) and to me the result seems to be fine. But here too the hand is moving. You used 1/320s which can be too long.

Try to practise with fully still sceenes. 

Hello 

Yes, I generally do :) 

I did shoot different photos of the bird at different moments and only one was nailed - not an easy subject for sure!

With still scenes most of the time I can see the quality on my screen before shooting, I then shoot and when I review the images on screen (on my computer too) I still get the impression that they are missing sharpness, they look dull to me

22 hours ago, Almizilero said:

So far, I don't see a general problem (taking into account that the images probably lost some sharpness due to forum downsizing).
The first picture has a rather shallow depth of field and the sharpest point seems to be on the paper, not on the hand. So maybe just missed focus? Same seems to be true for the bird, focus is on the body/leg, not the head. With the third picture I don't see a problem actually.
Depending on what you've used previously, the Q has a learning curve.
Things you could check/try:
Is AF in AFs or AFc mode? AFc isn't great on the Q, stick to AFs to begin with.
I don't have my Q at hand right now, so I'm not sure it has this. But some cameras have an option for AF priority or shutter (speed?) priority when you press the trigger. This could lead to the camera taking the picture before the focus is perfect.
To find out if the camera has focus issues in general, you could take a couple of AF shots of something and then use MF with peaking to set the focus perfectly by hand. Preferably from a tripod or set the camera on a table. If the AF shots are consistently less sharp (e. g. focus is always behind the object), something's wrong.

Hello

I have used Canon for many years and a Leica T more recently

Yes, definitely need a lot more practice with the Q. Thank you for the suggestions, I will try to test it again

I have been told the following from Leica customer service "It could be that focusing needs adjustment. Or perhaps sensor is out of position.  Need to readjust back focusing to the factory standard"

I wonder if anyone ever got their lens calibrated

On 11/1/2022 at 3:31 PM, simarght said:

Hi all

Here are some straight out of camera shots. I am not sure if I'm sharing/uploading the image correctly

I appreciate that the subject's hands are moving but I feel like there should be way more sharpness and detailing especially on the skin

I feel that using a "DOF" calculator for acceptable sharpness to a near and far distance based on lens aperture could help to determine the cause.  1.7 F stop based on the focal distance would give a very short DOF to a given focus point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simarght said:

Hello

Yes, absolutely. At the beginning I realised most shots had too wide an aperture. The other day I made sure to use it differently but unfortunately still got the same issue

Please see this photo: ISO 400, f 10, 1/320, exposure program manual

This is where a brick wall test will be much more useful than the 3-D scenes you are posting. While I wouldn't rule out the probable cause that Leica told you about, it may be worth shooting a flat test chart.

Jim Kasson has an excellent write-up on this topic of lens testing: https://blog.kasson.com/lens-screening-testing/test-instructions-capture/

He is active on dpreview and very helpful - if you post there and tag him, he may be able to opine. 

Edited by ravinj

My advice is to have someone who is familiar with rangefinder camera operation and have them do some tests with you.  If the resulting photos are sharp, then it's user error.  If they are out of focus, you may have an issue.  In the meantime, put the camera on a tripod and use the self-timer to expose a few frames and check the results. 

On 11/1/2022 at 10:31 PM, simarght said:

Hi all

You are using f/1.7, so depth of field is very shallow at close ranges. Try stopping down and see the difference. Leave ISO on Auto.

The auto focus on my Q2 Monochrom will not activate. The only way I can focus is manually. What's going on ?  Please, give me your thoughts. I have reset the camera 10 times, taken out the battery, checked all my settings...............????  What could possibly be my, or the camera's, problem ? Please help me.