Confused? I am.

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone who knows, share what name the LHSA is now going by please?

I think it’s 

Leica Society International

But LeicaRumors have it as 

International Leica Society

It even seems to be confused about the society changing its name, from the same name.

Thanks!

Leica Rumors has it wrong.   It is changing (or maybe already changed) to Leica Society International.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlanJW said:

Leica Rumors has it wrong.   It is changing (or maybe already changed) to Leica Society International.

Leica Rumors getting something wrong? surely you jest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, andybarton said:

Can someone who knows, share what name the LHSA is now going by please?

I think it’s 

Leica Society International

But LeicaRumors have it as 

International Leica Society

It even seems to be confused about the society changing its name, from the same name.

Thanks!

It will be Leica Society International , as Alan says,  and the changes to the website and social media will be made in the coming days. Andy, I’m surprised that you would be reading Leica Rumors. I treat it the same as Sir Desmond Glazebrook treated the Financial Times in Yes Minister 😀.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, pedaes said:

You budgeting for £7pm to support Mr.Musk? 🤮

From the pre-Twitter days when chaps were chaps. To explain what I was talking about. 

Musk may be hoping that Twitter is regulated and then he can start a 'free Twitter' campaign. As for politicians and, indeed, the rest of us, they and we haven't changed, but the information environment in which they and we operate has. Social and other media have produced a wealth of additional information which we don't actually need and which a lot of us don't have the time to read. The Rumors sites fall somewhere in there. I only look at them when somebody draws my attention to something that they contain. Their propensity to get things wrong is remarkable, even about vintage models. I suppose they would not be doing their job if they did not get things wrong at least 50 % of the time 😀

William 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@andybarton

Thank you for posting this question.  We need to change all of the LHSA sections on the forum to read:  

"Leica Society International"

And the shortened acronym is:

"LSI"

Here is the announcement which was posted yesterday.

https://leicasocietyinternational.org/blog/were-now-leica-society-international

Andy, can you help us make the change here?

My best,

David Knoble

I am still confused...

I thought that the name was the "Leica Historical Society of America" - LHSA

The gif on their website linked above is

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is/was the "International Leica Society" the same as LHSA, and has LHSA also become Leica Society International?

In answer to my question, I found this, on their website.

Known as LSI in abbreviated form, we also have a new logo to mark this milestone.    

We have gone by different names since our founding as Leica Collector’s International. Many joined our organization when we were known as Leica Historical Society of America or most recently, LHSA – The International Leica Society.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, andybarton said:

In answer to my question, I found this, on their website.

Known as LSI in abbreviated form, we also have a new logo to mark this milestone.    

We have gone by different names since our founding as Leica Collector’s International. Many joined our organization when we were known as Leica Historical Society of America or most recently, LHSA – The International Leica Society.   

LHSA - International Leica Society has now become Leica Society International (LSI). It will become more clear as our website and social media are changed over the next few days. We will also, as David and yourself have pointed out, need to change our presence on this forum. Again, this will take a little time.

I should probably also have posted this link before this about our recent Dublin Conference:

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/10/17/lhsa-becomes-leica-society-international-to-reflect-new-world-role/

William 

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

I have just received an email today from Richard Rejino, advising me that the LHSA has decided at the Dublin Meeting, to change its name from the LHSA to The Leica Society International. I am guessing this was done without consultation with the UK based Leica Society, whose origins as the Leica Postal Portfolio in 1936, has a rather longer history than the LHSA and is I believe, the longest continuously running Leica association in the world. I feel this change in name may well cause some confusion and is rather stepping on the toes of the Leica Society. 

What do others think, particularly Leica Society members? Due to health and age reasons, I gave up my membership of LHSA this year. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, willeica said:

LHSA - International Leica Society has now become Leica Society International (LSI). It will become more clear as our website and social media are changed over the next few days. We will also, as David and yourself have pointed out, need to change our presence on this forum. Again, this will take a little time.

I should probably also have posted this link before this about our recent Dublin Conference:

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/10/17/lhsa-becomes-leica-society-international-to-reflect-new-world-role/

William 

It seems that there is now growing concern about the similarity of the name with The Leica Society, was this considered at any time?

2 hours ago, OThomas said:

@ianman what have they ever done for us …eh? Well apart from …

The change in word order was to get the word Leica first, no more, no less. Today everything has to be based on search criteria and social media etc. Nothing to do with the Romans, although we are considering having a meeting in Rome next year with assistance from Leica Italia. 

49 minutes ago, Matlock said:

It seems that there is now growing concern about the similarity of the name with The Leica Society, was this considered at any time?

I am a member of both societies, as are several other regular participants on this forum, and I don't see any conflict or confusion. I regularly write articles for both societies. I heard LHSA/ILS (now LSI) being referred to as 'The American Society' earlier this year, but it is no longer that. LSI now has 3,000 members in over 70 countries and 1,000 of those members are in Europe. Only about 50% of members are in the US. Up to last month I was the only European member of the Board of LSI, but now I have been joined by two other members from Europe, Jono Slack from the UK and Hari Subramanyam (also a forum member here) from Germany. It is easy to make fun of people who join such societies, but harder to join and do some work on behalf of the global Leica community. Both The Leica Society (TLS) and Leica Society International (LSI) do great work and serve their membership communities very well.

Apart from that, indeed.

William 

• Like 2

• andybarton changed the title to Confused? I am.