Software for Native Monochrome

Lightroom Classic.  I have my own import preset for it.  I’m beginning to prefer Capture One, but haven’t quite developed a preset for it that matches the look I’m after.  It’s possible with any software to get a “warm” look; it’s a matter of you taking the time to experiment.

• Like 2

Silver Efex Pro is the standard, part of the 'Nik Collection' now sold by DxO Labs. You get a vast array of editing options like selective dodging and burning, image borders, etc. dedicated to B&W and customisable colour settings including duo-tone. You need to set ACR output for Tiff/RGB to edit the image in Silver Efex. Also within Nik Collection are Color Efex which is a very useful editing package in itself, together with a neat quick editing programme called Viveza and a couple of analogue film rendering programmes that can add random dust or scratches but I think these are aimed at the Lomo crowd.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I use Capture One, which offers a great deal of latitude in things like dodging and burning, masking, etc. Since you can create layers for each adjustment, it's a lot easier than some software. I treat my Q2M file editing almost like working in a darkroom (which I haven't done for decades), there's a lot less to do because there's no color, but there's a lot more you can do with these files in terms of adjustments to light and dark.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Capture One Pro for sure — using the linear profile, which best preserves the M10 Monochromes tonality and more control over shadows and highlights

Example from last Friday:

I started in Lightroom and gave up in despair. In Capture One, opened the images, linear profile, pulling back highlights -40: Done.

• 1 month later...