I'm counting 25 M-A's on eBay

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

54 minutes ago, lmans said:

Are not the MD cameras of old (1960's) more meant for scientific work and not casual or professional photography above that of science? I know I might have mentioned this prior but my dad was a biologist and he used them for taking photos from within his microscope. I am not sure the intent of Leica was for these types of cameras to be used beyond that scope, or am I wrong as obviously people are or are they really in numbers doing so? Because I might argue that the purity of that camera is almost too pure.... or borders on being impractical. 

As a biologist I can confirm that’s what MDs and M1s were used for and they were made in the hundreds not the thousands. You could put a viewfinder in the cold shoe to turn an MD into an M1. Leica was saving a huge amount of money by excluding the rangefinder and you’re always overcharged for scientific equipment.  

There’s a story on the web about a photographer at a holiday camp in England who used an M1 and guessed the distance to the subject. That means using a Leica as a point and shoot. One could save oneself a large amount of cash and just get a point and shoot. Is a point and shoot a purer experience, well that would be a personal choice I think ;)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, williamj said:

As a biologist I can confirm that’s what MDs and M1s were used for and they were made in the hundreds not the thousands. You could put a viewfinder in the cold shoe to turn an MD into an M1. Leica was saving a huge amount of money by excluding the rangefinder and you’re always overcharged for scientific equipment.  

There’s a story on the web about a photographer at a holiday camp in England who used an M1 and guessed the distance to the subject. That means using a Leica as a point and shoot. One could save oneself a large amount of cash and just get a point and shoot. Is a point and shoot a purer experience, well that would be a personal choice I think ;)

I don't know of any P&S that can have a Noctilux 50 0.95 mounted on it.  It's how I like to use my MdA - I need the challenge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huss said:

I don't know of any P&S that can have a Noctilux 50 0.95 mounted on it.  It's how I like to use my MdA - I need the challenge.

Nothing wrong with a challenge… can’t deny that. Do you close your eyes too :)… just kidding. Hv fun