I'm counting 25 M-A's on eBay

kivis

You must be paying for the premium eBay experience because I can only find eleven, most of which are new and from the usual outlets in Hong Kong. But the regret of not buying a camera with a meter may mean there are more M-A's being dusted off for sale when the new M6 becomes more available 😉

I think the MA is a good example of those that 'wanna-be' but find that once they have it in hand, they have no idea on what to do 🙂 .... So whether 11 or 27 or in between, most will most likely be new from stores, while the used ones will be from people who find they prefer a light meter and have spent a ton of money to a camera they can't quite get used to yet. 

Edited by lmans
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lmans said:

I think the MA is a good example of those that 'wanna-be' but find that once they have it in hand, they have no idea on what to do 🙂 .... So whether 11 or 27 or in between, most will most likely be new from stores, while the used ones will be from people who need a light meter and "P' mode...

I'm sure there's some method to their madness, but I'm not sure why Leica made the finish of the film cameras a factor in whether one chooses an M-A or MP. If you want black chrome you have to forego a meter.  If you want black paint or silver chrome you have to have a meter whether you want one or not.  Since the camera bodies are identical why not just offer the same finishes for both?

I know, I know, too many variations, too complex, a la carte is dead, etc etc.  Then pick two finishes - let's say classic black paint and silver chrome - and make those available on both cameras.  It seems like black chrome is becoming verboten anyway.

Sign me up for the BP M-A 😁

But to show perhaps why they do this........'sign me up ' for the black chrome....much more 'quiet to the eyes' as opposed to the glitter of the black paint of the MP...

Now the real question should be not in regards to the MA and MP as the MA has no light meter. THAT is a choice one makes and prefers. But if the M6 had black chrome and the MP stuck with shiny black, well then....I could see an argument for keeping both. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I'm sure there's some method to their madness, but I'm not sure why Leica made the finish of the film cameras a factor in whether one chooses an M-A or MP. If you want black chrome you have to forego a meter.  If you want black paint or silver chrome you have to have a meter whether you want one or not.  Since the camera bodies are identical why not just offer the same finishes for both?

I know, I know, too many variations, too complex, a la carte is dead, etc etc.  Then pick two finishes - let's say classic black paint and silver chrome - and make those available on both cameras.  It seems like black chrome is becoming verboten anyway.

Sign me up for the BP M-A 😁

I think they did it to differentiate the models a bit more.  Of course the MA is just the MP w/o a meter, but if you want black chrome, only on the MA!  Different!

1 hour ago, lmans said:

I think the MA is a good example of those that 'wanna-be' but find that once they have it in hand, they have no idea on what to do 🙂 .... So whether 11 or 27 or in between, most will most likely be new from stores, while the used ones will be from people who find they prefer a light meter and have spent a ton of money to a camera they can't quite get used to yet. 

I'd agree with that.  Many people like the idea of the MA, get one, then realize while they like the idea, they actually would have preferred a meter in it.  Especially if they are new to the game.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Huss said:

I think they did it to differentiate the models a bit more.  Of course the MA is just the MP w/o a meter, but if you want black chrome, only on the MA!  Different!

I know we will never know, but it would be interesting to see the sales for the MA to the MP. Obviously the MP is leading in my thinking but there is no way Leica can ever get rid of the MA now, as it is the direct descendant of the M3, which I feel is the heart and soul of what Leica stands for. But the MP can be discontinued and then you have the MA and the M6 is black chrome.

22 minutes ago, lmans said:

I know we will never know, but it would be interesting to see the sales for the MA to the MP. Obviously the MP is leading in my thinking but there is no way Leica can ever get rid of the MA now, as it is the direct descendant of the M3, which I feel is the heart and soul of what Leica stands for. But the MP can be discontinued and then you have the MA and the M6 is black chrome.

Black Chrome is no longer an option, the M6 is Black Paint only.

29 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Black Chrome is no longer an option, the M6 is Black Paint only.

It's not clear if Black Chrome is being phased out or not.  There's been some mention of it on this forum (vague talk of environmental issues, etc.) but nothing definitive, and I haven't seen any explanation as to why black chrome is an issue but silver chrome isn't. 

The black chrome M-A is still current in the lineup so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens to that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, logan2z said:

It's not clear if Black Chrome is being phased out or not.  There's been some mention of it on this forum (vague talk of environmental issues, etc.) but nothing definitive, and I haven't seen any explanation as to why black chrome is an issue but silver chrome isn't. 

The black chrome M-A is still current in the lineup so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens to that.

The M11 is Black paint as is the M6. The reason given by Leica is that Black Chrome is no longer available for "new build" cameras due to environment concerns. Note the "new build" comment.

28 minutes ago, Matlock said:

The M11 is Black paint as is the M6. The reason given by Leica is that Black Chrome is no longer available for "new build" cameras due to environment concerns. Note the "new build" comment.

The black chrome was a finish 'sealed' into the silver chrome.  Chrome plating is very environmentally toxic  and now requires many more controls.  I wonder then what this means for silver chrome cameras?  Perhaps that is the reason why there will not be a silver chrome M6?  More conjecture!

vor 56 Minuten schrieb logan2z:

It's not clear if Black Chrome is being phased out or not.

It's just a marketing decision. Some camera models are available in black paint but not black chrome (M9, M11), some are available in black chrome but not black paint (M9-P, M10), and some may be available in both. Maybe in two years or three, a variant will come along that offers the missing option. Or not. Or something totally different.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Huss said:

The black chrome was a finish 'sealed' into the silver chrome.  Chrome plating is very environmentally toxic  and now requires many more controls.  I wonder then what this means for silver chrome cameras?  Perhaps that is the reason why there will not be a silver chrome M6?  More conjecture!

As you say, conjecture. The M11 is available in silver chrome as well as the black paint on aluminium.

2 hours ago, Matlock said:

Not sure what 'new build' means. Does that mean 'new models' or newly built versions of existing models?  I wonder if the M-A will switch to the M6/M11 black paint once the existing supply of BC bodies is exhausted.   

Black chrome is essentially the same as silver chrome, it's chrome plating. And despite environmental concerns imagine how many metals would rapidly degrade in the environment without being plated. So this is a decision by Leica to offer a paint version now so they can then offer a plated version later.

I sold mine to help pay for a minty black-paint M4 and instantly missed it. That finish marred pretty easily {strap half moons for example) but that didn’t bother me.  I’m old but not too old to plan on another one day in the future.