Unusual Leica 1A Case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a Leica 1A and was pleasantly surprised by a free hood clipped onto a ring in the top part of the case (looks like a pretty unusual early FISON hood too, without the normal set screw) - I can't find much info on the case though. Does anyone know when it's from? (also wouldn't mind some info on the hood) Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The hood is the early FISON, period correct for the early cameras. The earliest version had a rectangular opening, this is a slightly later version that is still "push-on" with circular opening but still without locking screw. I have never seen an ever ready case that holds the hood internally. Usually, the higher top cases were to contain the rangefinder.  The two holes that show in the top next to the stored hood may have been for the clip that holds the rangefinder. Unless someone can correct me, I think this might have been an after marketing modification.

Most interesting, can you show the IA camera and also how it looks when mounted in the case?

Edited by alan mcfall

Here is a photo of case that externally identical to yours, but showing the rangefinder clip.

• Like 1

Ah thanks very much for the info - yeah I haven't found any info about a similar case. It does seem to work well though, holds the camera with attached rangefinder and lets you store a hood or extra filter.  Pics of the camera that camera with the case:

2 minutes ago, alan mcfall said:

Here is a photo of case that externally identical to yours, but showing the rangefinder clip.

Ah interesting, seems like my case has most likely been modified then 

5 hours ago, Thomasb42 said:

Ah interesting, seems like my case has most likely been modified then 

Maybe modified by Leitz itself... the camera was surely converted by Leitz (it has interchangable lens, with DOF scale, and you can see the two signs of the original "hockey stick") , the flash sync is also a later modification, and note that there is a matching hole in the case too  (the case, I think, was coded as ESMAL) 

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1