Dreamy and compact 28mm

IanH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28mm or other focal lengths always is a long run to find THE lens.

In my view, this never-end journey will last and happy never "end" for me.

so many but not "end" 28mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

more

seen here

• Like 3

On 10/30/2022 at 5:42 PM, IanH said:

Hello forum fans.

I’ve lusted over the 28mm Summaron reissue for my film m. The sharp centre, vignette, colour rendition and small form are the main pull.  The 1m MFD is a shame; but I could live with it. The price is just out of my range..

Does anyone have experience of alternative compact 28mm for film which offer sharp centres and some “character”? I’m less interested about corner to corner perfection.  Or, is the Summaron-M heads and shoulders in front of other options?

Orion-15, the LTM Summaron 28/5.6 and Hektor 6.3 seem to be good options but I haven’t used these. TT artisans 28/5.6 and Voigtlander CS 28/3.5 look good, but are judged to render in a clinical / modern manner.

My main lens on my M2 is a Summicron 35mm V2. I shoot both colour and B&W.

Would love to see some romantic / enigmatic people shots using these lenses. 

Thanks! 

I will own this one at some point in the future. The 28mm I have now really leaves nothing to be desired (except For that special vintage look you’re talking about). It’s just bang on every time I press the shutter. If I didn’t like my 50 so much I would probably keep it as my only lens. 

This will render like the Summicron so not really that vintage look you’re wanting. But what a lens! 

Thing is, the Summaron is a special lens. Nothing really would replace it for me. I thought maybe an alternative but, let’s face it, I’m always going to lust after it. Nothing will scratch the Summaron itch.  

That cheap alternative from TTArtisan is the closest you’ll get. It won’t be the same results, the pictures won’t have THAT look, but I guess it’ll give you that vibe of a tiny 28. But to be honest, for me it would be just a band-aid until I get the real thing. And as a lens, my Ultron is just a better lens, and a much more useful f2..

So my Ultron II will do until I’m comfortable spending for the Summaron. 

I also thought about a summicron or a Summarit. But once you experience the Ultron II it’s like; why would I spend that much to basically get the same thing? 

so if not the Summaron the Ultron II is all the 28mm anyone would ever need. 

The colors and everything  it’s just lovely. And it vignettes at f2 and f2.8 nicely. Other than that it’ll give you more of a modern rendering than a classic vintage one  

But what a fucking lens! 

Edited by Chimichurri
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, IanH said:

Thank you everyone for your comments and wisdom responding to this forum topic. It’s great to see that there’s a part of the community that still value compactness, character and imperfections in the older more funky lens options. 

@IanH Lovely image of the MG.  This looks like the kind of “defects” that I am seeking for my work.  I have a couple of questions about the lens:

1. How does the image progress from wide open to stopped down?  Or maybe easier to consider is at what stop would you consider the lens to produce more “normal modern” images.  When does the image have flare/ghosting under control?
  2. It seems you are an analog guy, have you spent any time with this lens on a digital M yet?

Thanks for the post. I find it inspiring after a 6 month hiatus from my M10P having used only my Olympus XA and my trusty Ricoh GRII.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 9:18 PM, KFo said:

@IanH Lovely image of the MG. 

Thanks for the post. I find it inspiring after a 6 month hiatus from my M10P having used only my Olympus XA and my trusty Ricoh GRII.

Hi @KFo, I’m afraid the car shot isn’t mine - courtesy of @justru49.

Great to hear you’re a Ricoh GR ii fan too. I replaced my APSC v1 after tens of thousands of shots after the lens mechanism failed. Easy to take anywhere and not obtrusive. 

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, shirubadanieru said:

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 ltm is amazing & better than the summaron from my PoV (while also being 1.5stops brighther)

It's a beautiful lens & super compact - very similar in size/design to the Leica summaron 35 (vers 1)

Edited by romualdo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

It's a beautiful lens & super compact - very similar in size/design to the Leica summaron 35 (vers 1)

Indeed it goes amazingly well with Leica cameras and it’s better than any 28mm leica has ever released (prior to the lux 28/cron 28 but those lenses are huge and weight a lot). Looks great on your MP! 

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Indeed it goes amazingly well with Leica cameras and it’s better than any 28mm leica has ever released (prior to the lux 28/cron 28 but those lenses are huge and weight a lot). Looks great on your MP! 

Step right up if you like lens flare.

4 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Curious to know if this one is contains thorium or lanthanum. I’ve been eyeing this lens for a while but worried about those elements.

There is no need to worry about thorium or lanthanum in camera lens glass, unless you plan to ingest it or have it reground for a lens implant in your eye. The amount of radiation is less than most people on the planet get in day from other common sources.

Another vote for the Summaron for compactness. I also bought the TT in black because I couldn’t find a so rare black Summaron. I haven’t had a flair issue with either of them. But I’m not shooting into the sun with them.

For stealth shooting the black TT wins out over the shiny bright Summaron, as can be seen in the photo. The Summaron is tiny, but seen from straight ahead it can be attention getting in otherwise dark surroundings.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 8:20 AM, LeicaS2 said:

Another vote for the Summaron for compactness. I also bought the TT in black because I couldn’t find a so rare black Summaron. I haven’t had a flair issue with either of them. But I’m not shooting into the sun with them.

For stealth shooting the black TT wins out over the shiny bright Summaron, as can be seen in the photo. The Summaron is tiny, but seen from straight ahead it can be attention getting in otherwise dark surroundings.

Nice! Leica made a limited edition (of course..) black Summaron 28 which looked incredible.  That was the lens that made me by the black TTA 28 - mimicked the look but of course not the optical characteristics.

The most similar to the Summaron would be the Canon LTM 28mm f2.8. Size, lack of contrast, but enough sharp and clear. The rendering is nice. It is way more afordable than the other proposals and f2.8. This lens also has a lot of charisma.

3rd mention of this lens on this thread, maybe you could check out some test and review of the tiny Canon

Edited by Kay P

Not sure if this is what you mean by 'dreamy', but the MS Optics Perar 28mm f4 is as compact as they come. Sometimes flare can be a factor if the source is in the frame. I like it a lot, especially when I want to carry as little as possible. These were taken on the M10 Monochrom. 

• Like 3