An auction like no others

By any evidence, the seller was at all not aware about some particularities of certain Leitz items... 😉 : a great day for him !!  Personally, the price looks exaggerated to me... but ,ok, a black paint rigid Summicron (supposedly original... and indeed others are reported inits batch) is undoubtly a gem for a collector.

3 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

By any evidence, the seller was at all not aware about some particularities of certain Leitz items... 😉 : a great day for him !!  Personally, the price looks exaggerated to me... but ,ok, a black paint rigid Summicron (supposedly original... and indeed others are reported inits batch) is undoubtly a gem for a collector.

I hope for the sake of the purchaser that the black Rigid lens is genuine. In any of the photos I have seen it is covered with a reversed lens hood. The M3 camera is described as being from 1951 which cannot be true as that was 3 years before the camera was introduced. The serial number indicates that it is from 1958. The seller struck lucky here, but in the normal course I would go to one of the big auction houses if I was selling an item like this. There are no set values for such items. The value is whatever the market determines. What is paid for such items is not an indication of good a camera or lens is, but rather how desirable it is. 

I think I have covered all of the relevant points, unless you can think of some more, Luigi 😇.

William 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, willeica said:

I hope for the sake of the purchaser that the black Rigid lens is genuine. In any of the photos I have seen it is covered with a reversed lens hood. The M3 camera is described as being from 1951 which cannot be true as that was 3 years before the camera was introduced. The serial number indicates that it is from 1958. The seller struck lucky here, but in the normal course I would go to one of the big auction houses if I was selling an item like this. There are no set values for such items. The value is whatever the market determines. What is paid for such items is not an indication of good a camera or lens is, but rather how desirable it is. 

I think I have covered all of the relevant points, unless you can think of some more, Luigi 😇.

William 

I agree on . your observations, Will.. not by chance I wrote firstly "A great day for HIM!!" (the seller... 😉) : as for me... I would never spend such an amount for an item I haven't seen and inspected with my eyes...  and so much for an item which relies, for its value, on a paint-finishing... looking better at the pics, there is indeed some little detail on the lens that makes me think "i'd be curios to have it  in my hands... 😗".. but don't want to elaborate onto, here... it has been a great odd sale and maybe the auction site provides "parachutes" for aftersale issues...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

so much for an item which relies, for its value, on a paint-finishing...

Very well put. It's all about the paint, actually. Same lens as the silver, and a great lens optically. 

My personal idea was to grab it without anybody else noticing. Then sell it ... but ... then I knew it would be hard to part with it. So, I guess my willingness to bet $3,000 (and max $5,000) expresses the actual value in my eyes for a great lens in another color.

Could be the buyer was able to visit the auction house and inspect it. Or simply took the chance. The high price paid doesn't indicate it is for resale.   

11 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

... whatever "bad surprise" the buyer could discover, I doubt he can make any claim...

As the auction is in Sweden (EU) and online, buyer has 14 weeks return privilege according to consumer law (if the buyer is a private person - not a business).

If he/she suffers from buyers remorse or the item does not live up to expectation, the buyer can claim a refund.

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1