Very wide M lenses

andybarton

On 10/31/2022 at 10:07 AM, 01af said:

That's the worst choice, as the Tri-Elmar-M is a retrofocus design and the Super Wide Heliar is not. Better use the code for Elmarit-M 21 mm.

The third version of the Voigtländer 15mm f/4.5 is in fact a retrofocus design. The two earlier versions were made for film (and not retrofocus designs), but the III is made for digital and is even available in Sony E mount. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on cameras of course but the tiny CV 15/4.5 v2 is a smaller lens than v3 and works fine on the M11 with no red edge at all. Here at f/4.5: 

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-CV-1545-v2/i-HqfJcxS/0/2ed63216/X4/M1003242_sips-X4.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Depends on cameras of course but the tiny CV 15/4.5 v2 is a smaller lens than v3 and works fine on the M11 with no red edge at all. Here at f/4.5: 

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-CV-1545-v2/i-HqfJcxS/0/2ed63216/X4/M1003242_sips-X4.jpg

That (downsized, granted) test shot looks pretty good, particularly considering it's wide open and that the lens was designed for film, not digital.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LarsHP said:

That (downsized, granted) test shot looks pretty good, particularly considering it's wide open and that the lens was designed for film, not digital.

Larger size here (link). The CV 15/4.5 v2 is a lens i bought for a crop camera (CL), but it works fine on FF BSI sensors as well. It is not often said on this form but one of the advantages of the M11 is its Sony sensor allowing to work more or less like a film camera as far as WA and UWA lenses are concerned. The Super-Angulon 21/3.4 is another example of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is another totally overlooked sleeper lens few are aware of, the "ultra-fast-for-UWA" Lomography Atoll 17mm/2.8... Accepts filters, is RF coupled, has awesome distortion characteristics and is super affordable.

https://shop.lomography.com/eu/atoll-ultra-wide-2-8-17-art-lens-m-mount

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb LarsHP:

The third version of the Voigtländer 15 mm f/4.5 is in fact a retrofocus design. The two earlier versions were made for film (and not retrofocus designs), but the III is made for digital and is even available in Sony E mount. 

Oops! You're right. I didn't realize that the version III is so much different from the two earlier versions.

While the Super Wide Heliar 15 mm III's back-focal length is shorter than the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm Asph's by approx. 2 - 2.5 mm, it is still longer than the focal length. Hence it's a retrofocus design indeed.

So please forget what I said earlier in post #19. It was true for the 15 mm versions I and II, but not for III.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, FrozenInTime said:

For static shots, stitching, even handheld works in a lot of situations ; though for non-panoramic situations ultra-wide still trumps it.

12mm VC MkII on M10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After that day, I did not use the lens again for several years, so ended up selling it.

Changing lenses also leads to more sensor dust; another reason, aside from saving money, to stitch.

Funny seeing this shot, as I was there too for the opening of the new Queensferry Bridge. My wife’s parents were also there 50 years earlier for the same opening and walk across the previous bridge which made for a nicely historic family moment. We met Nicola Sturgen too and I took photos of my wife’s parents with her with my then M240 and 28mm Elmarit M. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of cheaper ultra-wide angle options from Voightlander, a couple of my friends use them, 15mm springs to mind, but also one recently purchased a 21mm for not a lot of cash and is getting good fun results. I had the 21mm Elmarit M which was nice but too close in FL to other lenses and not worth the extra weight to carry it all the time in my bag. These days I use the WATE, 16-18-21 which is always in my bag. I really like the fact that this lens is so light and convenient. I found a used one a few years back and it’s one o those keep forever lenses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, swatch said:

I prefer compact lenses and have been putting my eyes on Hologon 16mm.  How does this lens perform on digital M ( mount to be converted / on M10 or CL)?

I’m wondering the same thing for a M10M and MP. It’s such a rad little lens! I’m guessing the light meter won’t function but worried it might damage the shutter blades on the M10M. 

21 SEM is my go-to wide (or the 11-23 on my TL2) but I bought into the "myth" of the 16 Hologon.

Super small and cool-looking but however IMHO 16mm is a very hard angle to shoot.

For me the 21 SEM is actually wide enough...and I also have 24 Elmar which eliminates the "wide-angle"issues (see other threads!)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NigelG said:

21 SEM is my go-to wide (or the 11-23 on my TL2) but I bought into the "myth" of the 16 Hologon.

Super small and cool-looking but however IMHO 16mm is a very hard angle to shoot.

For me the 21 SEM is actually wide enough...and I also have 24 Elmar which eliminates the "wide-angle"issues (see other threads!)

Been thinking about getting a 21 SEM for awhile now myself, but I’m going to hold off for a little while. The thing about the Hologon is I know 16mm will be hard to shoot with and I’m sure 99% of my photos will be just bad, but from what I’ve seen when you get it right it’s AWEsome. Alan Schaller’s work with a WATE as wide as it goes comes to mind.

Plus like you said the mythos is there and I really like the puny almost bodycap-like size of the Hologon. Just a really cool lens all-around.

• Like 1