Photoshop Rescue

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These are two longtime friends who I photographed through a window at an art opening for another friend. The guy on the left is a very accomplished guitarist and leader of a successful local band. The guy on the right is an acclaimed local artist/instructor. Back in the film days, I probably wouldn't have even shot this, and if I had I would have trashed it later. With a few minutes in Photoshop, the image was saved.

M9M/35 Summicron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

vor 40 Minuten schrieb fotografr:

Thanks. I just use Photoshop with Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw. The editing tools there are nearly identical to Lightroom. 

Thank you. I just wondered if I could do with LR only. Normally I do not like PS too much but have it in LRClassic of course.

And again. You really did a great job. Thanks for showing.

Edited by M11 for me

On 10/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, M11 for me said:

Thank you. I just wondered if I could do with LR only. Normally I do not like PS too much but have it in LRClassic of course.

And again. You really did a great job. Thanks for showing.

Thank you. I did most of this with the clone tool and a bit of healing brush. 

Edited by fotografr

Thanks for the detail. I have downloaded your picture (its only 500K but it will do) to try it out. 

The recent LR Classic has now improved tools that I did not try out yet in detail.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 1

Am 27.10.2022 um 22:06 schrieb M11 for me:

I just wondered if I could do with Lightroom only.

With one of the more recent versions of Lightroom Classic, you can.

And of course you could do the same in Camera Raw; no Photoshop required.

Edited by 01af

vor 19 Minuten schrieb 01af:

With one of the more recent versions of Lightroom Classic, you can.

And of course you could do the same in Camera Raw; no Photoshop required.

Thank you. I am always up-to-date with my LR versions and have to try over the weekend.

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

When you have finished, please show your results. Thanks. 

I am so sorry not to be able to present any result. With LR Classic 12.0.1 it is not possible to fix this. I tried to lookup Youtube tutorials or Google information but I could not find anything usable. I must assume that it does simply not work with the new Lightroom Classic tools: neither Clone nor Healing nor the new eraser work in that complex situation. 

I have downloaded your image from this forum (total about 500K). The small size of the image should not be the cause of my failure. I imported it into LR and started to work on it as usual. 

Maybe someone else tried the same as well and came to another conclusion?? I would be extremely interested.

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

I am so sorry not to be able to present any result. With LR Classic 12.0.1 it is not possible to fix this. I tried to lookup Youtube tutorials or Google information but I could not find anything usable. I must assume that it does simply not work with the new Lightroom Classic tools: neither Clone nor Healing nor the new eraser work in that complex situation. 

I have downloaded your image from this forum (total about 500K). The small size of the image should not be the cause of my failure. I imported it into LR and started to work on it as usual. 

Maybe someone else tried the same as well and came to another conclusion?? I would be extremely interested.

I don't use Lightroom so I can't say this with certainty, but it's possible the clone tool and healing brush in Photoshop are better than what's offered in Lightroom.

This is my attempt at fixing the botched original. Not perfect but useable, and created using Camera Raw 15.0 only, no Photoshop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M11 for me said:

@01af I am not so used to the insights: Is camera raw what I have in Lightroom classic? If true then I would like to attend a course with you.

This is the Camera Raw 15 window. The editing tools are shown at the top right. For the image of the two guys talking, the tools most useful here would be the masking tool and the healing brush. Photoshop has a more extensive set of editing tools.

Thank you. This seems actually to be the tools that are available in Lightroom Classic as well 1:1. I am really amazed. I wonder how you or 01af came to your result. Maybe I am just not patient enough. But I still have your image in LR Classic and will try again. Harder this time.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb M11 for me:

Is Camera Raw what I have in Lightroom Classic?

Yes, it is. Camera Raw 15.0 basically is the same as the Develop module in Lightroom Classic 12.0.

vor 27 Minuten schrieb fotografr:

... the tools most useful here would be the masking tool and the healing brush. Photoshop has a more extensive set of editing tools.

That's right. Photoshop's vast toolset can do things Camera Raw or Lightroom Classic cannot. Still, Lightroom's limited toolset usually is more than adequate for many retouch jobs. For the picture in #16 I only used Camera Raw's healing brush.

vor 23 Minuten schrieb M11 for me:

I wonder how you or 01af came to your result. Maybe I am just not patient enough.

Yes—some patience is utterly required. You cannot simply swoop along a blemish and expect it to magically disappear. Each of the unwanted reflections in the picture require several dozen clicks with the healing brush in different modes and sizes.

Of course, in Photoshop you'd be able to arrive at the same (or better) result using the same method, a similar method, or a totally different method. In Photoshop there's always more than one way to accomplish a task, and usually none is 'the best'. Anyway—my point is, you can do the job using Lightroom Classic only. It's more powerful than most users think.