D-Lux 7 unofficial accessories

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello dear fellow Leica owners.

I am very excited to own my first Leica camera. and looking forward to bond with it further.

As I look for additional accessories I notices that there might be affordable alternative to Leica's official stuff.

Any advise would be appreciated on 

- Batteries: I am looking to get Cellonic's pack that includes 2 1000mha batteries and a charger. Any feedback ? Better option ?

- Auto lens cap: my understanding is that Panasonics' DMW-LFAC1 is identical or at lease compatible with D-Lux 7. Can you confirm?

- Cases: any recommendation would be welcome.

Many thanks !

Thanks stuny, I will go ahead with that.

Now I'd love to hear from owners about battery alternatives. I was very disappointed with how quickly Dlux7 sucks juice out of its battery... I come for Canon 60D SLR, I could go on forever.

With this greedy little beauty I can't live with only one battery, but not so keen on paying 90€ for 1 additional battery from Leica.

11 minutes ago, BenjieB said:

Thanks stuny, I will go ahead with that.

Now I'd love to hear from owners about battery alternatives. I was very disappointed with how quickly Dlux7 sucks juice out of its battery... I come for Canon 60D SLR, I could go on forever.

With this greedy little beauty I can't live with only one battery, but not so keen on paying 90€ for 1 additional battery from Leica.

Smaller battery is part of the price you pay for a compact camera.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, wda said:

Smaller battery is part of the price you pay for a compact camera.

Nah, battery isn't that small. There could be at least twice more mah in there. Just think about smartphone's batteries. They are not bigger and can go up to 5000 or more mah .

Anyways, any advice on cellonic or other unofficial batteries for Dlux ?

thanks

• Like 1

FYI: As stuny advised, panasonic's LFAC1 cap fits and works perfectly well on D-Lux 7 !

this is a very useful accessory.

News... batteries and cases

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BenjieB

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, BenjieB said:

Cases: any recommendation would be welcome

Case: MegaGear Ultra Light Neoprene Camera Case (Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M6ZHMR5  The case has a carabinier that clips around the strap nicely. This will protect it from normal knocks although it won't from harder ones. I tend to keep my camera in a jacket pocket so this is ample. The build quality is fine as well.

Strap: VKO Camera Lanyard,Camera Wrist Strap (Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FK4HQF3 The one that came with the camera had an annoying tendency to resonate with my walking speed so a parasitic oscillation would start and I would always end up having to use one hand to stop it swinging. There are also limits with neck straps. The strap here is a wrist strap that has the same protective design as the one that comes with the camera (and has a nice build quality about it as well). I have found it useful to orient it so that the strap points down, not up - it is not around your neck so it is not limited to pointing up - see the photograph.

Protective Screen: I would like a protective screen (I thought to myself) - just like my mobile phone has. So, I bought a glass one of Amazon and found that it fitted rather well. However, the screen that it is protecting is not flat - there is a slight indentation on the left side of the screen that is obviously caused by the plastic that it is made from being thicker there. There is a simple manufacturer's solution to this:- make the mould that the plastic flows into to produce a screen have a smooth hollow there that reflects the thickness of the plastic (ie, the shape of the depression) and it will end up flat. This technique has been known about as long as injection moulding has existed and it is caused by the plastic shrinking.

Instead of correcting the mould, Leica has instead produced a flexible, plastic anti-scratch screen (just see a bit of it in the photograph) and that sits nicely on it, just like the glass one did but without the air bubble where the hollow is in the moulding on the left hand side. However, if it gets warm (such as if you are working on a lot of RAW files), the edges start to curl up very slightly and produce a gap that is just big enough for a bit of dirt to get in at the edge. As a result, it starts to look like the one in the photograph after a while.

One word of warning with this is that when you put it on for the first time, it comes adhered to a plastic sheet that you peel it from. When you do that, you alter the water balance of it and it curls a lot, taking in the order of an hour or so to start to get flat. You can put it under a tap in order to wash away any dirt gently from the surface and you can put it on the camera back wet as well and let the water run from the sides of it so that you don't get air bubbles in there - remember, of course, that you should mop up any water that does come from this - treat the camera as though the only waterproof part is the solid plastic bit you are putting this on with paper towels everywhere else.

The solution to this is simply to manufacture a plastic screen that has a flat surface in it in the first place. For those of us that have one with the depression in it, Leica's screen is probably the better but not by much.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!