Combining digital and analog workflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For every +/- 100 images shot digitally there is also one film exposed on my cameras.
Do you have a specific workflow combining analog and digital

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I hope this is what you are asking about......

I used film for much of my life, mainly using commercial D&P services, but occasionally B&W D&P at home. I stopped using film around 2005, but restarted during the pandemic or a bit before, with large format, then 35mm.

I now develop all my B&W film at home, scan it using my SL2-S, then print/post-online as with my fully digital images. I get colour developed commercially, then scan at home the same way.

I scan as DNGs, invert in Lightroom, then convert to TIFF for further editing (which removes the hassle of Lightroom sliders going the wrong way). I now have an inversion preset which also adds a suitably shaped tone curve.

I have always inverted B&W myself, just reversing the Lightroom tone curve, then adjusting black and white points.

I started out inverting colour using the Negative Lab Pro plug-in, but eventually found I could do at least as good a job myself in Lightroom, using a similar process to B&W, but sometimes adjusting the 'black' and 'white' points separately for each of R, G and B.

I scan 35mm film as a single strip before cutting, running through the Essential Film Holder above a Kaiser light panel, setting the SL2-S for interval shooting and auto exposure (A-mode). I use a Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 lens + ELPRO, which allows 1:1 reproduction.

I scan 5x4 sheets with a similar set up, but use the V-E 24-90 SL set at 90 (gravity takes it to 90 whatever I do), and a homemade black cardboard mask.

I have done some 5x4 colour slide shots (Fuji Provia 100F) which do not need inversion, but I use a Fuji Provia 100F target by Dr Wolf Faust to create a colour profile for Lightroom. This works very well.

As for combining digital and analogue earlier in the process....I sometimes go out with a bag holding a Q2 and a film camera, deciding at the time which camera to use for each shot.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Thank you for your thorough answer, I was actually asking about if anyone else combines photos taken with digital Ms and film Ms for their work/portfolio/pleasure. I have shot analog 135, 120, 4x5 and 5x7 for about 15 years and was super ultra excited when digital cameras finally became *usable* for professional work in about 2003. I needed 10 years completely away from film to fall in love with it again and now I mix both digital and analog (mostly 135 and 120) all the time.

I scan my own negatives on an Epson Perfection Photo Scanner and/or with my GFX on a stand. The companies I work for use Imacons and even old Hell drum scanners.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

@LocalHero1953 looks like a good process. I’m just trying to figure my analogue workflow integration with my digital workflow, I might incorporate some of your process. 

Currently I’m using the Plustek OpticFilm 8200 35mm film scanner and scanning to DNG raw files, using Silverfast 9 that came with the scanner (trialing Vuescan soon to see if it any better/easier). Once I have the DNG raw files they will then slip into my usual digital workflow, with an additional step of using Negative Lab Pro to create positive image tiff files.

I don't own a digital M, but use a Nikon Z6ii as platform for Leica M and LTM and other legacy lenses.

The lenses matters the most, I think. A modern lens made for digital has a clinical quality that may appear almost synthetic when viewed next to an image produced by an older film age lens.

Two images, digital+film, taken with lenses from the same era/eco-system typically can work well together, but sometimes the lack of grain structure in the digital image creates a barrier for using the two images as a continuous series.

Whereas the two photos may work very well next to each other if only linked for a thematically relation rather than that of continuity (if this makes sense?)

I have not succeed in manipulating a digital image in order to create a grain texture that would allow seamless mix of film and digital photos, and honestly, I do mostly prefer things remains what they are and not pretending digital is film and vice versa.

As a consequence I will need to decide on film or digital on projects that requires visual continuity.

Projects that have evolved over years will generally already have variations in feel & texture due to variations in filmstock, technology, equipment, time-markers etc. and are more open to mixing. 
However, I have realised that I am better off using film era lenses on my digital camera for things I am serious about and expect to work together with film photographs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

I have not succeed in manipulating a digital image in order to create a grain texture that would allow seamless mix of film and digital photos, and honestly, I do mostly prefer things remains what they are and not pretending digital is film and vice versa.

Try Nik Collection's Analog Efex Pro (latest version). You have customizable structures and you can build up detailed film emulations, even with various types of grain, dust and scratches. As close to film as it gets in Photoshop.

9 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

@Al Brown one question begs to be asked: Are you actually using the golden M on top? I imagine I see some wear in the hot shoe?

Absolutely! I use all Leica equipment I own, life is too short to have a Leica collection in a cupboard, dust it from time to time and then die. I have other cameras for collecting, I post them here occasionally.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

This😄😉

I imagine it is possible - in PS anything appears to be, but as I noted, I don't feel super comfortable trying to twist one technology to look like another. Not shaming anyone for whom it works, just my thing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Absolutely! I use all Leica equipment I own, life is too short to have a Leica collection in a cupboard, dust it occasionally and then die. I have other cameras for collecting, I post them here occasionally.

Great! You are my hero. I hope to see a golden leica in the wild one day. I imagine it would draw some attention?

1 minute ago, nitroplait said:

Great! You are my hero. I hope to see a golden leica in the wild one day. I imagine it would draw some attention?

Thanks. Definitely not for all places to take. Where it could be shady, critical or uncomfortable I use the M2.

I combine my digital/analogue workflow by working with film nearly all of the time and 'scanning' the negatives with a digital camera.

If I did have a digital image I wanted to show people I'd add some grain first, but not the hairs and dust. 

Hi Al,

i shot about 50-50 between my analog and digital M, i develop both colour and BW at home, i scan ‘em using either M10r and a macro adapter with 50 mm lens and a EFH holder, a plustek when i have the time, or an epson v600, mostly for my medium format

scanned as DNG, convert it using negative lab pro, apart from the preset in NLP, i hardly do editing after, so like almost it is what it is…

for digital i’m back with M10-r after a short spell with m11, i have my presets in Lightroom

26 minutes ago, OThomas said:

Which macro adapter @jakontil?

Hi Othomas, i have the leica macro adapter, this alone good when scanning the medium format, but not quite ideal, then i pair with a pixco brand macro tube, i could almost get the whole 135 frame

i also i have the KnF macro tube adapter, works equally well.. i wish i have a 90mm lens i could try, but so far im quite happy with the results

40 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Hi Othomas, i have the leica macro adapter, this alone good when scanning the medium format, but not quite ideal, then i pair with a pixco brand macro tube, i could almost get the whole 135 frame

i also i have the KnF macro tube adapter, works equally well.. i wish i have a 90mm lens i could try, but so far im quite happy with the results

@jakontil thanks for the info.  

EDIT: which lens are you using with the adapter?

Edited by OThomas