shutter aperture

pilu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good evening everyone. I would like to ask you for some information. I would like to know how to disable the opening of the shutter curtains every time I turn on the camera. As soon as I turn on the M11 I hear a sound, similar to "clack" and the sensor is uncovered if I remove the lens. Is there any way to turn the camera on without this happening every time? I had the M10 and M246 where there was a setting (I think 'exposure mode') whereby the shutter curtains would only go up with 'clack' when live view was activated. On the M11 can you tell me where to find this function on the menu? Thank you for your answers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, matted said:

I wonder why the shutter is closed when the camera is off, unlike the SL series which otherwise operates in the same way.

LOL every one was complaining the sensor is exposed and the wanted the same function as their Nikon, Now you got it and nobody wants it?

Personally I don't care about exposed sensor, I have it many other cameras and learned to clean of the dust.

11 hours ago, pilu said:

Good evening everyone. I would like to ask you for some information. I would like to know how to disable the opening of the shutter curtains every time I turn on the camera. As soon as I turn on the M11 I hear a sound, similar to "clack" and the sensor is uncovered if I remove the lens. Is there any way to turn the camera on without this happening every time? I had the M10 and M246 where there was a setting (I think 'exposure mode') whereby the shutter curtains would only go up with 'clack' when live view was activated. On the M11 can you tell me where to find this function on the menu? Thank you for your answers

You can’t. As you can see the M11 shutter blades are just black now. The camera meters off the sensor unlike all the other Ms. it has to open the shutter to be able to meter. 

In the m10 and previous the shutter was closed all the time, except in live view when it meters off the sensor. Otherwise it used the shutter blades to measure the light. 

Edited by Chimichurri

8 hours ago, Chimichurri said:

You can’t. As you can see the M11 shutter blades are just black now. The camera meters off the sensor unlike all the other Ms. it has to open the shutter to be able to meter. 

In the m10 and previous the shutter was closed all the time, except in live view when it meters off the sensor. Otherwise it used the shutter blades to measure the light. 

I know there are still some bugs in the camera, but you are right.
I love the highlight metering in the camera now, I use this most of time in auto ISO.

13 hours ago, Photoworks said:

LOL every one was complaining the sensor is exposed and the wanted the same function as their Nikon, Now you got it and nobody wants it?

Personally I don't care about exposed sensor, I have it many other cameras and learned to clean of the dust.

Hey I wasn’t one of the ones complaining! I was just curious why they went two entirely different directions… it’s all the same to me. I almost never clean sensors and don’t really worry/think about dust. Whether the sensor is exposed or not when you change lenses, once the dust is in there it has a chance of ending up on the sensor so who cares. 

14 hours ago, darylgo said:

Is the M11, the M5 of digital? 

No, the M5 of digital was the odd thicc video thingy M240.
The M11 is still the best digital Leica ever made. Not a fanboy (I do not even own one) but it's a fact.

Edited by Al Brown

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I know there are still some bugs in the camera, but you are right.
I love the highlight metering in the camera now, I use this most of time in auto ISO.

Im on the M10R. I’m always on auto ISO also. Never had an issue. IMO, ISO is a film problem. 

Edited by Chimichurri

35 minutes ago, elmars said:

Of course they can. But therefore a new shutter is needed. 

Is that true? Olympus was able to add EFCS with a firmware update to its E-M1. In theory, any camera with an electronic and a mechanical shutter should able to support EFCS.

The problem is that EFCS is not needed to fix a Leica IQ problem, as it does with other cameras. Therefore, Leica may not be inclined to implement it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elmars said:

Of course they can. But therefore a new shutter is needed. 

A quick research on slow motion of mirrorless shutters, there seems to be no differences in the usage of shutter curtains with EFCS or not. This is on a7rii, leading me to believe if a shutter can do full mechanical shutter action and full electronic shutter, it should be able to do the EFCS. Unless I'm missing something.

• Like 1