Back to basics

sanadsaad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. I have gone back and forth with digital, analogue, slr and rangefinders and keep coming back to a rangefinder. I have decided to bite the bullet and go completely analogue and master the basics. I still haven’t settled on a focal length (28,35 and 50) but I aim to take a step back for a year, sell all my gear (Nikon Fm3A, f3HP and F6, leica M3 + all non-leica lenses). I will keep the M6 TTL and use the 50 summicron I have currently. I have also booked a darkroom development and printing course so I can learn the basics and set my own darkroom up. I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips/book recommendations/YouTube recommendations/courses to further my development in photography? I enjoy it a lot and have my camera on me at all times but I think I need to be more disciplined in the way I shoot and hopefully a theme emerges. 

• Like 3

I would keep the M3 and have 2 film Leicas. I did that for 30 or so years with 2 M2s. I had a 35 Summilux on one and an 85 Nikkor f2 LTM on the other. The 35 stayed but I would sometimes use a 25 Canon on the 85's camera.

What is keeping me from going total film is I like color and my last 2 rolls of color took 12 days to get back to me. Go back in time to where I got E6 in 4-6 hours and negative color in 24, I'd go back. Partially my fault for living in the sticks.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 35 Minuten schrieb spydrxx:

... but DON'T sell the fine cameras you presently have, chances are at some point that you will not only miss them but end up trying to replace them at more inflated prices.

Yeah! My sentiments exactly. At the very least, keep the Nikon FM3A and two or three Nikkor lenses, even if you don't plan to use them in the foreseeable future.

Apart from that—switching to a Leica M6 with a 50 mm Summicron as your main (or basically only) working camera definitely is a good plan. It will make you a better photographer. Maybe you can add a 35 mm or 28 mm lens at some point. If you happen to own a non-Leica M lens in one of these focal lengths then keep it for the time being. You may replace it later with a Leica lens ... or not, it doesn't really matter. Just have a wide-angle besides your 50 mm ...

Edited by 01af

As much as I respect Nikon SLRs, their backwards rotating focus goes against my muscle memory and slows me down. I find either Nikon or Leica (and any cine lens).

I like the idea of one lens. As I’m generally a fifties guy, my natural choice would be the 50mm Summicron. But for storytelling, I find the 35mm better suited. So, I work with both all the time.

I don't own a Leica rangefinder camera but 2 R6/6.2 for B&W (for colour I shoot digital). I have 2 of the same because I cannot afford to wait when they need service, plus I like to change lenses (35mm/50mm) instantly by swapping cameras. Because they are the same, I don't have to adapt to a particular camera. I only shoot Delta 400, which again pays into a smooth workflow, but this is another story.

If I were in your shoes, I'd swap the M3 for another M6, get a 35mm Summicron and be done with it. But it's worth noting that I do reportage-style projects. For cityscapes/landscapes, you may need a whole other set-up.

The FM3a is a great camera. Better than the M7, IMO. The F6 is as advanced as any film camera ever got. You could lose the F3, I suppose. 

I sold a M3 to buy a M4. Which I sold for a M2, which eventually went for another M4. That’s how it goes sometimes. I like the M4. 

Good idea. I also thought similar but didn’t go fully film. I kept my digital kit but they see little use now. I also use my M240 for scanning negatives. 

My workflow is hybrid. After shooting film (BW developed myself and color from lab) I scan it to digital. I add EXIF to digital file for camera, lens and exposure info. This has helped me in learning process. I can go back and check what exposure settings and development time I used.

My ultimate output is mostly digital medium. Even if I print, it is digital print. Looks like you are going full analog for printing. All the best 😊

BTW, for film BW development I find “Massive Dev” app very helpful. It has development time database for all film types.

There is nothing like loading a new film in the camera and heading out. 😊

• Like 1

Thank you for the links @Doc Henry and the advice everyone! I think I'll probably not sell anything now and shoot with the Leicas. Currently I have a 35mm biogon on the m6 and a 50mm summicron on the M3. I'll use one for colour and one for B&W for the next few months and then see which focal length I gravitate to and for what purpose. Hopefully a pattern emerges. Found a good darkroom course nearby where we can try out different enlargers as well. Looks quite legit. Here's a link: https://www.davebutcher.co.uk/darkroom-workshops/

I have plenty of room in the garage so I can set something up once im a bit more confident in my skills. Also purchased Ansel Adams's three books (Camera, Print, Negative). I think the theme for 2022-23 is less gear, more craft skills. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saad ... you are welcome 😀

about the lab here is mine ...

What a pleasure and what a good time spent to make "real" photos , not in front of your computer or softwares and your laser printer

which gets clogged from time to time

Best

Henry

...   Leitz Focomat enlarger and Focotar lens 😀

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

@sanadsaad I'd keep all the Nikon stuff and sell the Leica cameras if I wanted to make a grand gesture. It's far more versatile in this period of self discovery and cheaper if you decide to add to your equipment. You'll get just as good results. 

You don't say where you are, or what you think you might be interested in, but the most powerful thing a photographer can have is 'A Project'. As soon as you know what you want to shoot the faster you'll home in on how to do it better. So it might be a scramble to do the Fall, and people are spending more time indoors, but maybe plan to photograph the Winter wherever you are, it could be Winter Street Photography, or Winter Landscape Photography. Essentially if somebody asks 'what do you photograph' whatever you answer should be something you are excited about. And it should be considered your work, take it seriously, think about it in capital letters. Everything else follows, you are no longer plucking things out of the air, you can gravitate towards YouTubers who have similar interests, you will discover techniques and materials that specifically help you, you may even decide that 35mm isn't large enough and want a medium format camera.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update:

Sold most of the Leica gear and got the new M6. Shot a few rolls with 50mm summicron in Italy and pleased with results. Although struggling with it as a street lens as I’m more used to wide angles (35 or below). It is a nice challenge. I will try the 35mm biogon 2.8 in Paris and see which focal length I gravitate towards. Once I decide, I’ll go for a summilux in that focal length and call it a day. Loving how film puts limits on and while experimenting, interesting results come out. I sometimes carry my Rolleiflex 3.5F with me with a colour film and load a black and white in the Leica. @250swb I’m based in Sheffield. Im planning on a shoot of different locations in the Peak District in different seasons. I’m black and white and colour. Will be interesting to compare once the body of work builds. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sanadsaad said:

@250swb I’m based in Sheffield. Im planning on a shoot of different locations in the Peak District in different seasons. I’m black and white and colour. Will be interesting to compare once the body of work builds. 

Greetings. Top tip, research a 'what's on' calendar of forthcoming events in the Peak District (and around Sheffield of course), local customs, agricultural shows, events at the country houses like Chatsworth etc. for your people pictures. With all the grockles that descend on the area there are so many projects possible. Of course for landscape your cup is full at any time of year. 

As regular followers of the forum will have noticed elsewhere I am just now rejuvenating my interest in film (B/W). I am enthused by the prospect after encouragement from contributors. I cannot run to Leica film equipment at the moment but have a rangefinder camera of old which I am running a film through to asses how I get on and whether the camera can still deliver the goods. I'll Lab process for starters before returning to home processing.   You know, I have found two basic elements I miss from my other Leica C(122) which I keep for colour - first, the fixed 50mm lens which makes one think more carefully before shooting without having the zoom knob facility; and second, the shutter trigger is down beside the lens not on the top of the camera like to-day's cameras.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I thought I’d update you on how my journey is going. I ended up buying the new M6 which I’m absolutely love shooting with. I also shoot with a Rolleiflex 3.5F which is a whole new experience of shooting film for me. I kept sending the rolls to be developed and although I enjoyed the results, I felt they wouldn’t be the same till I print in the darkroom. Luckily, I found a great darkroom locally and made my first print yesterday. Blown……..away! Not going back to digital anytime soon. Bought a few darkroom books and signed up to the darkroom annual membership. Very excited! Would love your advice as I learn darkroom techniques more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3