Suggestion: Closed-Open-Closed mechanical shutter mode

thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

$9000 divided by $13/roll = 692 rolls of Tri-X.  And developing chemistry ain't free.  My point?  Film is not a permanent solution to the cost of making photographs.

In the end, both film and digital photographers will bleed money, one way or the other.  I don't care, though.  Photography is a quality of life issue. 

you forgot archiving cost and backups. LOL

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, Photoworks said:

what is that anyway ?

M6 shutter was fabric that opened one direction and closed a different way... vertical and horizontal.

Q2 is more classic with central.

They made extra research and came up with a faster shutter for minimal blackout. and we won't to give that all up for some sound? sound that is less then M10 or M9?

Re: classic – referring to all pre-M11 metering on M bodies when not in Live View. The M11 is full-time live view metering, and it no longer has the separate meter to make non-live view metering/shooting possible. Reason it gets brought up is some prefer the shorter, less noisy, non-live view shutter of previous Ms that is only possible with the old dual metering. It's been suggested Leica could add an option in firmware to the M11 so it could use the pre-M11 non-live view shutter but that would mean with no metering at all in that mode – a digital M-A for those that want it.

Edited by hdmesa

36 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

$9000 divided by $13/roll = 692 rolls of Tri-X.  And developing chemistry ain't free.  My point?  Film is not a permanent solution to the cost of making photographs.

In the end, both film and digital photographers will bleed money, one way or the other.  I don't care, though.  Photography is a quality of life issue. 

Shoot HP5, it's about $8 a roll. And while chemistry isn't as cheap as it once was, with some Rodinal and Ilford fixer it really adds about $1 per roll. I can scan with my somewhat neglected DSLR. 

So, $9000 / $9/roll = 1000 rolls. Assuming I shoot about 50 rolls a year, that's 20 years of photography. I am pretty sure my M4 will still be working fine at that point. The M11, and me? Less sure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

was just asking what is classic mode to you! Going back to M246 or M10, no light meeter and no fast live view? 

Does not sound realistic to me that this can be done in firmware. The shutter is mechanical in M11.

Well, technically speaking it is an electronically controlled mechanical shutter, so you can manipulate it via firmware.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, oldwino said:

Shoot HP5, it's about $8 a roll. And while chemistry isn't as cheap as it once was, with some Rodinal and Ilford fixer it really adds about $1 per roll. I can scan with my somewhat neglected DSLR. 

So, $9000 / $9/roll = 1000 rolls. Assuming I shoot about 50 rolls a year, that's 20 years of photography. I am pretty sure my M4 will still be working fine at that point. The M11, and me? Less sure.

A very different ways of shooting. Your 20 years of film shots would be considered a low shutter count for a digital camera that was only a few years old.