Aperture ring detaching

startover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 35 Summicron ASPH has developed this problem where the aperture ring just comes off.  There seems to be nothing holding it back.  The f stops work but the ring moves beyond f/2 and f/16 and doesn't feel as stable or tight.  I brought it to the Leica Store in Soho, New York.  And while they couldn't figure out when there is nothing to hold back the ring, they thought it is likely nothing serious, and advised me to send it in to Leica Service.  Has anyone experienced this with their M lenses?

8 hours ago, startover said:

My 35 Summicron ASPH has developed this problem where the aperture ring just comes off.  There seems to be nothing holding it back.  The f stops work but the ring moves beyond f/2 and f/16 and doesn't feel as stable or tight.  I brought it to the Leica Store in Soho, New York.  And while they couldn't figure out when there is nothing to hold back the ring, they thought it is likely nothing serious, and advised me to send it in to Leica Service.  Has anyone experienced this with their M lenses?

No. But you could post a video showing it. I’ve never heard of an aperture ring coming off. 

if I found my summicron’s aperture ring on the floor I wouldn’t think “oh. Nothing serious”… 😀

Edited by Chimichurri