35/1.4 Steel Rim shots - old and new

TheGodParticle/Hari

vor 3 Stunden schrieb egrossman:

Anyone who has the new lens, please post some sample portraits when you get a chance.

Thanks

Erik

There you are …

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

17 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

You’re right, these lovely lenses are very old and tend to develop fog/haze and have stiff focus movement. I was fortunate Ottmar Michaely was still active some years ago, he serviced my old lenses. He’s no longer active, having sold his workshop to Leica. 

I love the charming look they deliver on my CCD Monochrom as well the M11. If you’re looking for one, I can let you know if one of them turns up for sale at my usual 

Thanks for your reply! Hmm... ill dream a little longer, dont wanna spend more $$$ at the moment haha. But yes a lovely, lovely lens indeed!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

a few people were saying the new focus tab didn’t feel as nice but it looks great machined all together rather than a separate 'glued' piece as most lenses.

It’s not the focus tab that is the issue, it’s the infinity lock that is associated therewith. The infinity lock actuator/ lever is attached to, or housed by the focus tab. You depress the infinity lock lever to release the infinity lock, so you can rotate the focus ring away from the lock position at infinity.

On the old version, it is a vey elegant crescent shape, clearly designed for a fingertip, dovetailed into the focus lever, and it has a very smooth, damped action.

On the new version, it is more squared off, and feels looser, less precisely fitted.

‘Admittedly, it is a subtle difference, but it was immediately apparent to me upon handling the lens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you mdg1371, Wonzo, Yellow_78, and especially  TheGodParticle/Hari, for the pictures. Please keep them coming.

I have requested a copy of the lens to purchase, and will add some photos in due course, though who knows how long it will be before I get mine. I will be patient, as with all things Leica. The main thing that put me off an original v1 was the combination of price and risk with soft coatings / haze, etc. But honestly, mostly now price! But here’s the chance to get a particular vintage Leica “look”, 6-bit, and serviceable by Leica. I’m in.

Edited by Winedemonium
missed Yellow_78
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MCHL0607 said:

I am slowly changing teams too, in the past few days lol

This may fuel the desire 🤣

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Yellow_78 said:

This may fuel the desire 🤣

That looks great! What strap is that btw if you don’t mind sharing? Looks very cool! The shutter button too goes really well with that body, congrats on a beautiful kit!

• Like 1

I have a titanium 35mm f1.4 (11860) and it doesn’t seem as soft as the new lens. Will post two garden shots taken today, just unpacked lens! Apologies for lack of inspiration!

New steel rim first then 11860 titanium. Both wide open. 

Edited by Stephencdean
  • Like 2