New Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 comparisons

MarkShot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, grahamc said:

The v1 and v2 were almost identical in barrel anyway aside from the steel rim, font type, hood type and filter type. 

There were some heavy discussions om this forum last winter suggesting that the rendering of the two where very different, evidentally backed up by the price difference of the two.

2 hours ago, adli said:

There were some heavy discussions om this forum last winter suggesting that the rendering of the two where very different, evidentally backed up by the price difference of the two.

Here I was talking about the barrel design / shape.  I own both and yes the are subtle differences in rendering but general character as @shirubadanierupoints out is extremely similar.  That’s also why v3 will differ once again, if only due to the time between manufacturing dates (almost 65 years have passed since v1 was rolling off the production line ...is it realistic that these will be exactly that Same?).  

No optical design differences were reported from launch of v1 to discontinuation of v2 in 1995 but we know they differ slightly in character.   The same will almost certainly be the case for the new lens as compared to both v1 and v2.  

Jono commented that due to modern production techniques and tolerances the v3 will be the “better” lens (as judged by modern standards let’s say). Whilst that’s a subjective opinion, how can something be “better” without being “different”.   All this is really obvious in my opinion, we just look at v1 versus v2 .. they are very close, but not the same.   

To your point about price, rarity also plays a part in that  but yes I agree the v1 is the nicest of the ones I have tried so far (both build and rendering) and therefore very worthy of a premium over v2, to me at least  

A very good comment is made by Mark @insideline in Jono’s review thread about this topic and differences, which is very worth reading.

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1