Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux V1 (Steel Rim)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the same time as the Leica M6, Leica Camera AG is reissuing the Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux from 1961.

Jono was already able to test the lens: Here is his review (English), as always with many image examples:

Images Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 – An individualist returns

Leica looks back on more than 150 years of experience in the development of lenses. Since then, numerous masterly precision tools have been formed which have consistently set photography standards and redefined the boundaries of what is technically feasible. In particular, that includes the lenses of the legendary Leica M-System. One of these legends returns now: the Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4.

Since its launch in 1961 and after more than 35 years of almost unchanged production, the M lens has been enjoying great popularity up to the present day. The world’s fastest wide-angle lens at the time has also always been very compact and extremely light with a weight of only 200 grams. Last but not least, it convinces with its imaging performance and the unique image effect. Photographing with maximum aperture creates pictures with an especially soft, almost magical bokeh which is hard to achieve even with digital image processing. Its extraordinary pictorial look earned the Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 the title “True King of Bokeh”. Photographing at open aperture in backlit conditions creates intended lens flares that can be used for specific creative effects. At the latest after stopping down to f/2.8, it produces very sharp and particularly distortion-free pictures which also meet modern requirements for image quality.

Its relaunched edition is made in the Leica manufacture in Wetzlar – in the original vintage design and with the identical optical calculation of the first Summilux-M 35 f/1.4. Furthermore, the stainless steel front ring known as “Steel Rim”, the lockable focus ring and the black attachable lens hood are also modelled on the original. What is new, however, is the second, round lens hood with E46 thread which enables the use of filters and is also included in delivery.

The Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 joins the ranks of the Leica Classic Line as the fourth member next to the Summaron-M 28 f/5.6, the Thambar-M 90 f/2.2 and the Noctilux-M 50 f/1.2 ASPH.

The Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 is available globally at all Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store and authorized dealers. The retail price will be €3,850.00 including VAT.

• Like 2

I might be mistaken, but lens design and characteristics described by Jono are very close to voigtländer 1.4 35, which might be effectively a clone of the steel rim. I own the voigtländer and simply love its special way of rendering, but the Leica original is such a beauty, incredible…

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Seems that the focus ring is engraved up to 3 feets, and turns up to that mark. 

Does one owner of the Leica 35mm summilux steel ring 2022 reiussue can confirm that the minimal focus distance is 0.9m and not 1.0 meter ?

Preceeding pre-asph/steel rim 35mm summilux V1 are focusing up to about 90cm (or even a bit below ~0.85m).

Thanks a lot 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

When rotating the focus ring, it clearly goes past the 1m mark.

I did a quick test on my sample and the closest I could focus is when the object is 86cm-87cm away from the lens mount of my camera.

So I guess the MFD is less than 0.9m - at least on my sample. Not sure if there are sample variations knowing this lens has been produced in limited quantities so far and I haven't read reports from other users.