Leica M6 Reissue: Return to Film

LUF Admin

A beat up. Classic bit of advertising promotion that is nothing about Joe Greer, but unadulterated Leica advertising. Nothing wrong with that, except that it pushes the idea that a camera is the reason one makes great photos. I know Leicas are great cameras, but who is Joe Greer? He didn't make those images because he is in them!

For transparency: I already own two M6's and would love to have the new one. It has some slight improvements and is definitely a great camera, but, it will never make me a great photographer. I am the only one that can do that, whatever the camera. I already own about 45 cameras. Adding another will only address my GAS.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, erl said:

the idea that a camera is the reason one makes great photos

No, but it is quite important to be happy with your camera, otherwise you will miss a lot of shots. I just changed a film in my Rolleiflex from B&W to color. I notice that my drive to go out and shoot has died down. Johan Cruyff once said: ‘you can only see it, if you understand it’, a very simple and to the point summary of Kant’s philosophy. You see the world and visualize the photo because you know what your camera/lens combination does with it and vice versa. I’m sure you know which camera to pick out of your 45 for a subject/idea for a photo. It’s too one-sided to neglect the gear that does it for you. Robert Mapplethorpe and his Hasselblad aren’t what it is without eachother, his style is unthinkable without that camera. Adams’ 35mm photo’s are quite mediocre, he breathes LF. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kodak Tri X - lab scan, no touchup Edited by NWPhoto