Jono’s Review: Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux V1 (Steel Rim)

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mdg1371 said:

Having held the new version in hand, and compared it to my v1 original steel rim, I can say the infinity lock on the new version has been redesigned, and feels considerably less well built.

I felt like the aperture ring on the new version felt cheaper too, but no one else handling it did, so that one may be on me.

‘My thought coming away from handling it was that if I did not own a steel rim already, I would get the heritage. But it is not an equal substitute for the original- especially for the M3 version, which focuses down to .65 meters.

Also, assuming you’re in Wetzlar, can you verify that this is not a limited release?

Great review as usual Jono your lucky you get all the good jobs.  

After owning and using the original for some time and getting it 6 bit coded I did enjoy the character however not sure if I was that keen on the 'dreamy' f1.4 focus it sounds romantic but I like the higher speed being a bit sharper, I know it can be used to create character.

I ended up selling mine  but as with all Leica lenses that we have sold we wish we had them again usually.

Maybe this would be a wonderful combination with the New M6 for film  it's looking more interesting the more I think of it.

The filter screw in and 2 hoods are a nice improvement .

For those of you who got the lens already would love to hear any thoughts on the design. Looking at pictures I’ve noticed a few differences from the original, what do you think about them? I have yet to see one in person though…this is just based on online pics and videos.

• The front of the lens looks weird, like too much black plastic in the front. The original was e41 and now somehow this became fatter as e46. The original e41 front looks much cleaner / proportional. Also, it has 4 screws?! 
  • The OLLUX hood looks built much cheaper than the original one, looks like cheap plastic compared to the old very robust one.
  • The infinity lock looks a bit different from the original version?
  • The silver looks much lighter in color than the original one? 

Would love any thoughts / pictures from those here who have the lens already, especially on any of the points above. Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

For those of you who got the lens already would love to hear any thoughts on the design. Looking at pictures I’ve noticed a few differences from the original, what do you think about them? I have yet to see one in person though…this is just based on online pics and videos.

• The front of the lens looks weird, like too much black plastic in the front. The original was e41 and now somehow this became fatter as e46. The original e41 front looks much cleaner / proportional. Also, it has 4 screws?! 
  • The OLLUX hood looks built much cheaper than the original one, looks like cheap plastic compared to the old very robust one.

Would love any thoughts / pictures from those here who have the lens already, especially on any of the points above. Thanks in advance! 

The infinity lock is absolutely different, I really did not like the feel of it-- I am not exactly sure how to describe the difference, but actuating the infinity lock release lever on the heritage model feels less damped, looser...not cheap feeling, but close to it. The shape has also been modified, (to my eyes) into a much less elegant form.

I did not compare the OLLUX to my original, because I use a heliopan 41mm UV filter with a screw in hood, and the OLLUX stays at home-- but the attachment system is the same, which means it will get knocked off very easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

I think you may be seeing the inside of the hood regarding the four screws. 

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

My bad, I found a front image without the hood, I guess the screws are part of the lens, weird.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:29 PM, rolu said:

Instead of Serie 7 filters you can put 49mm filters upside down into the filter hood of the V2. Sometimes the filter wobbles just a little bit, but a circular 50mm diameter seal with 1mm thickness put in together with the filter into the hood takes care of that. I did this with success with B+W 49mm UV, clear and ND filters.

I also use a B+W 49mm UV in this way in my 12504 lens hood. However I would like to find a way of fitting a polarising filter in the same way - can you suggest any way of achieving this as I have not found a series 7 polarising filter anywhere on the internet.

29 minutes ago, IR-zero said:

I also use a B+W 49mm UV in this way in my 12504 lens hood. However I would like to find a way of fitting a polarising filter in the same way - can you suggest any way of achieving this as I have not found a series 7 polarising filter anywhere on the internet.

It is possible to remount a filter such as a polarizer into a standard mount filter ring, such as 49mm.  The rotating hood will turn it to the desired position, I believe.  The trick will be to remove it from it's two part rotating mount and then remount it, with the orientation kept proper front to back if that matters on a polarizer.  I haven't done this with polarizers but have done it with other filters and it is tricky.  Some filter manufacturers don't put the retaining ring indents there to allow removal, so it's more difficult.  I haven't had any luck separating the two parts of a rotating filter mount easily but there must be a way, perhaps rather complex.  

Alternative 2, check with your filter manufacturer reps, they might make a filter for you.  I've had it done once with Heliopan in the past when they replaced a step up ring under warranty they no longer made.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

A petit ami oiseau says that the new version is like a v2, so having more contrast than the v1 stopped down as well as having a little more modern character in amongst the overall vintage rendering that is faithful to v1. 

Also that as you have pointed out, the E46 front looks a little large, but is very convenient.  And as with other observers, the infinity lock perhaps feels a bit “cheep” in comparison to the original v1.   

Despite these differences (expected IMHO) they rate the v3 a must buy and like it very much.   😁

They don't post here anymore as very busy chirping away at their daily 20 rolls of film, but none of this should really be surprising IMHO and I am sure this is a fantastic lens just as both v1 and v2 are .  

I'll probably be getting one but the diplomatic conclusion is surely that v1 is extremely difficult to match exactly, particularly with modern production methods & materials - As Jono notes here there will be differences due to methods and tolerances. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IR-zero said:

There's one on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144770974929

But I would rehouse a more modern polarizer instead. The quality of the old Series 7 filters is not up to today's standards.

If you do adapt a 49mm polarizer, choose a linear polarizer like one made by Heliopan, where rotating the ring on the linear filter adjusts the strength of the effect.  With a circular polarizer, rotating the ring adjusts the angle of effect, which can give odd results when not shooting an optimal scene with the filter rotated to the right angle. Having to use a circular polarizer is a holdover from pre-digital autofocus days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, grahamc said:

A petit ami oiseau says that the new version is like a v2, so having more contrast than the v1 stopped down as well as having a little more modern character in amongst the overall vintage vibe. 

Also that as you have pointed out, the E46 front looks a little large, but is very convenient.  And as with other observers, the infinity lock perhaps feels a bit “cheep” in comparison to the original v1.   

Despite these differences (expected IMHO) they rate the v3 a must buy and like it very much.   😁

They don't post here anymore as very busy chirping away at their daily 20 rolls of film (as well as other reasons) but none of this should really be surprising IMHO and I am sure this is a fantastic lens just as both v1 and v2 are .  

I'll be getting one and sure will love it but diplomatic conclusion is surely that v1 is extremely difficult to match exactly, particularly with modern production methods.  

ahah! well all other remakes were as close as possible but not 100% like the original. All other remakes kept the same rendering wide open but from two stops closed down they render as sharply & contrasty as modern lenses (which is great!) Also V1s had so many variation in samples & who knows what happened to them throughout the years that it's very hard to say exactly if it is same / dif. as all v1. 

That e46 front with the screws showing tho...I thought it was a prototype lol

Of course I'm getting one too though, have it reserved for months now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

ahah! well all other remakes were as close as possible but not 100% like the original. All other remakes kept the same rendering wide open but from two stops closed down they render as sharply & contrasty as modern lenses (which is great!) Also V1s had so many variation in samples & who knows what happened to them throughout the years that it's very hard to say exactly if it is same / dif. as all v1. 

That e46 front with the screws showing tho...I thought it was a prototype lol

Of course I'm getting one too though, have it reserved for months now.

Yeah agree Dan, I'm really interested to try it out :D  I hadn't noticed the screws and will check it out .

Edited by grahamc