Thin white line, top to bottom, on my M8 images

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a think white vertical line that just showed up on my M8.2 images.

Anybody know what it is?

Can it be fixed?

If you view the highly cropped image below at 100% size, it should be obvious.  Knowing what to look for, it's visible in my thumbnail too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It does, indeed, look exactly the same as results from my old M9's sensor where a one-pixel-wide thin white line was caused by a dead pixel. Re-mapping the camera sorted out the problem. Hopefully - if this does turn out to be the cause of your issue - your M8 will be able to be remedied in a similar, speedy, fashion.

Philip.

5 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

"Re-mapping"?  Can I do this myself?

No. As Steve Ash has already mentioned (and you, yourself, have already grasped I'm sure) it will be neccessary for you to contact Leica Tech Support.

Re-Mapping isn't quite as simple for Hoi Polloi to deal with as is cleaning a dirty sensor but armed with a DNG file highlighting the problem it seems to be a relatively straightforward task for "Those in the Know" to rectify (IMX).

Best of good fortune!

P.

Edited by pippy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't disagree.  I called the Leica Store here in Miami, and they offered to help me fill out the forms and pack the camera for shipment to Leica Tech.  

Yesterday morning is the first time I've seen this.

I went out for a short photo session an hour or so later, no change.

But, I went out for a "walkabout" with the M8.2 late afternoon, processed the images, and the problem had vanished.  All images were fine.  I guess I'll keep using the camera for a while - the earliest I can get it sent off to Leica is in about four weeks.  Very strange - but no point in sending the camera to Leica unless it is demonstrating the problem I need them to fix, right?  From what I've read, they will "map out" the problematic pixel, but to do that they need to identify it.

Can one of you please give me the proper term to describe this?  Blown pixel, burnt out pixel, or ????

I'm also curious as to why that one pixel not working properly doesn't simply result in a white speck on my image, and why it results in a line almost all the way from the bottom of my image up to someplace near the top.

Finally, are there any test modes in the M8.2 that I can do myself, which will identify specifically which pixel is causing this?

(I'm now also wondering why in the top right corner of my post, it says this was post #1 on my screen, when it should be post #7.). 

Never mind - refreshing the screen fixed this.

Edited by MikeMyers

Perhaps this is a solution for you .

http://www.pixelfixer.org

or this here in the forum: 

This is a problem with ccd-sensors - a dead pixel makes a white line because the pixels are read out in a row. This happens more often in high ISO pictures. Anywhere I read (years ago) that for hot pixel you can put the camera to B, put the camera in absolute darkness and expose about 3 minutes. Perhaps this could work for your dead-pixel problem also - but no warranty. 

Thanks - it sounded useful, until I read this: "Note: Since the hot pixels are only removed from the raw data it is necessary to create new JPEG/TIFF files from the corrected raw file to get images that are free from hot pixels."  I prefer shooting in raw, and with this tool, I will be back to using 'jpg' files.

I'll need to do some more testing, an  see if this was a one time thing, or if my M8.2 needs to go off to Leica Service.  

Any tools that can work on the .dng file while it's in the computer, as I'm about to edit it in DxO PhotoLab 6 ?