One Challenge 2023 - Saturday 14th October

andybarton

My apologies, Andy, I got distracted and forgot to answer your question; mea culpa.

Only stayed in Dubrovnik for a night so there wasn't a lot of time to scout around unfortunately.  You'll have seen Robert's post in the other thread and he's spot on.  Plenty of restaurants inside the castle walls but mostly quite expensive (to milk the tourist market presumably) although there looked to be restaurants more towards the town that might be less aggressively appointed (and priced).

The Croatian Kuna (HRK) is about 8.8:1 GBP which made the price of eating in restaurants quite reasonable* but all bets are off when Croatia joins the Euro in January depending what the HRK to EUR rate is set at.  *Dinner cost us about 50 Euros for the two of us including (very good) local beer and after dinner liqueurs in an excellent restaurant in Zagreb (that's owned by former Croatian international footballer Boban).

Not much help I'm afraid.

Pete.

• Like 3

If it's any help, I'll just repeat the gist of the post in the other thread with a few embellishments - I've split this into two parts to make it easier to read.

We were actually in Dubrovnik for two nights but the arrival first night was a little later than intended, due to the loss of sat nav resolution in the Montenegro mountains, which although we'd allowed 3 hours for the journey, led to a very pleasant 13 hour trip through the pitch dark on unmade roads in Bosnia Herzegovina (handy it was dark because you couldn't see the sheer drops and road noise meant that the screaming was much less audible to wildlife...) consequently we actually made it to the outskirts of Sarajevo before turning back into Croatia and the hotel in Dubrovnik, arriving at about 5am.... 🌄🚗😱  ... as there wasn't any breakfast going at that point (unlike the Leitz Hotel in Wetzlar) it was decided to stop on for an extra night to see the town...

The restaurant that Pete was describing was the Gradska Kavana Arsenal Restaurant (1) gradska kavana arsenal restaurant - Search (bing.com) which overlooks the yacht marina and has large arches to the front, making for a pleasant dining experience on a warm evening.  It's also a good size and could accommodate a group of about 30+ people easily with plenty of space to spare.  They were accepting new clients up to 11pm that night, the staff we excellent and friendly, all speaking good English and quality of the food was first rate.

The surrounding area, which was the Old Town, was friendly and English was spoken everywhere we went. 

Prices were good and there were plenty of small restaurants and bars around, again all being friendly and English speaking.

Transport was easy with taxis and Uber being easily available.

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There seems to be a hotel district, which I think is part of the Lapad area of Dubrovnik, with lots of choice, particularly of luxury hotels - the beach was 400 meters away, but steep cliffs are also plentiful in the area, so some care might be needed to get all the way down on foot, without exclusive hotel beach access.

Parking was no problem at or outside the hotel.

There was a slight sense of things shutting down at about 11pm at that time of year but you can never tell, as even a week can make a difference - also I suspect that if you know the right places, that wouldn't be a problem.  

The views around Dubrovnik and on up the coastal highway to Split and Zagreb are quite the most spectacular that I have seen.

Hope this helps

R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

The restaurant that Pete was describing was the Gradska Kavana Arsenal Restaurant (1) gradska kavana arsenal restaurant - Search (bing.com)

A minor correction: the restaurant where our dinner cost €50 was the Boban in Zagreb.  Our dinner at the Gradska Kavana Arsenal restaurant in Dubrovnik was about €120. 🙂

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, farnz said:

A minor correction: the restaurant where our dinner cost €50 was the Boban in Zagreb.  Our dinner at the Gradska Kavana Arsenal restaurant in Dubrovnik was about €120. 🙂

Pete.

...and both dinners were very nice.... 🍲😋👍

The meal at the Gradska Kavana included wine plus beers, and also after dinner liqueurs and desert (plus I think coffee for me) - I seem to remember that I had (an excellent) steak as well, so all that might have ramped up the price a little.

The restaurant in Zagreb was superb and I seem to remember welcomed us somewhere around midnight.

Turning to Zagreb, it really is to be recommended for a visit, or better still a longer stay and driving north up the coast, past numerous small seaside towns and villages, and finally travelling towards the Dolomites, was a truly memorable experience - again, there were no problems with the language in a very friendly city.

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, topfloor said:

Also Appartment in Dubrovnik booked  ....... overlanding from Hamburg, arriving Thursday the 12th and leaving Monday the 16th. Looking forward to enjoy the Town and meet Leica - Friends !

Will Katerina be with you, Carsten?

Pete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is flying in from Zagreb, I will be driving from ZG to DU. It is a wonderful trip which can last minimum 7  hours (highway) to two days driving the old roads and visiting national parks.

I didn’t book anything yet, and will do so last minute, so I am flexible. Have place for two persons. Costs of petrol and toll is on me (though I would appreciate a donation for the good cause from the challenge).

DM me if you are interested.

Old road ZG-DU will pass national park Plitvice, National park Krka, national park Paklenice, as well 200km curvy roads next to the sea: you get to see lots of Croatian beauty…

Edited by Olaf_ZG
Added last sentence
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...