R8 viewfinder changing colors????

Aram Langhans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It has been a while since I shot my R8 and I got inspired the other day to take it on my present trip.  I pulled it out to refresh my memory on the controls and the viewfinder seems to have noticeable yellow cast to it.  I don't remember that at all.  Is it possible it uses one of those exotic lens elements that changes color over time or is it just my imagination?  Has anybody else noticed something like this?

One think else, the viewfinder is sure a lot better than my D750 or my Z7ii.  Amazing clarity and size.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you mount a lens on the camera?  If the lens had a filter on it, the filter or the lens may cause the color cast.  I have not noticed my R8 or R9 viewfinders with a color cast.

The other think to try is taking out the focus screen and see if the color gets better… (without a lens).  

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 4:00 AM, davidmknoble said:

Did you mount a lens on the camera?  If the lens had a filter on it, the filter or the lens may cause the color cast.  I have not noticed my R8 or R9 viewfinders with a color cast.

The other think to try is taking out the focus screen and see if the color gets better… (without a lens).  

Thoughts?

Looks the same through three different lenses.  I am not brave enough to take out the focus screen.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:12 AM, jip said:

I always find my R8 and R9 to have a very blue/green cool tint to them, compared to for example other SLRs like: Nikon FM3a, Leica S 006 Leica S 007. etc. 

OK.  I will just accept that it was always that way and I just forgot after using Nikon digitals for so long.

10 hours ago, Aram Langhans said:

Looks the same through three different lenses.  I am not brave enough to take out the focus screen.

That does not take braveryThe camera is designed with an interchangeable matte screen. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/21/2023 at 10:32 PM, Aram Langhans said:

I take out the focus screen on my R's and my S's, same principle.  If you have another focus screen you have the tweezers that come with it.  If not, I understand wanting to be careful... You may find a focus screen in expensively online, but I also am  not sure that is your problem.  I'm just trying to find ways to eliminate components...  Very possible it is your viewfinder glass...