Leica M Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 out of production?

HPFM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, Tailwagger said:

On the M, I'd concur that 21 SEM is indeed noticeably sharper, certainly more contrasty overall than the WATE.  It's been a while since my testing, but the general result was that  I found the 21 SEM unacceptable on the SL2, the WATE was indeed better, at least at 21mm.  IIRC, at 16mm it was much worse and frankly, from an acuity standpoint couldn't hold a candle to the far cheaper Lumix 16-35.  Beyond any corner sharpness issues, I've concluded that M wides on the SL2 are too annoying when trying to focus on a particular point in the scene, at least without taking way too much time. Far easier and more reliable on the M to rely on the RF for focusing accuracy and switch to the EVF for framing.  Here's an example of why that can be important.  For this scene, I wanted max DoF in the relative foreground, but a bit of blur in the distant hills. Shot at F8, the focus point was on the top of the last log in the pile.  To achieve something similar on the SL2 would have been a far more difficult, opening and closing the aperture, zooming in and out etc.  With the M11, focus, frame, click. 

M11 WATE (16mm)

How is the WATE on the M11. specifically, the corners at F8/16mm?

Thanks 

Andrew

16 hours ago, Planetwide said:

How is the WATE on the M11. specifically, the corners at F8/16mm?

While not quite up to the SEM 21mm, I'd still class it as excellent at all focal lengths. The WATE has become the cornerstone of my 3 lens kit supplanting the SEM on the wide end, both for its flexibility as well as for its more gentle, lower contrast rendering, which I generally tend to favor.  But, I'd echo the other's remarks and add that I've noted no issues,, it stands erect in the face of 60Mpx resolution AFAIC.

• Thanks 1