EU Purchasing Question from an (US) American

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Leica Q2 (still debating whether or not to get monochrome, but leaning in that direction) while on a planned trip to France before Thanksgiving. Can anyone provide information on the détaxe situation? I know you have to ask for the paperwork while purchasing at full price and then go to get the refund separately, but do I have to pay taxes when entering the US? With the exchange rate being in my USD favor, I think it's quite a deal to buy while in Europe and wanted to get others' thoughts. Even the SCL4 battery is 150 euro vs. $285! 

Thanks in advance.

You can make a killing or save a lot buying in Euros while the $ is so strong. 

If you throw away all the boxes, you can confidently walk past customs and say you already had it when you left the country. Or keep the boxes and risk getting caught if they check. 

At best, I believe you would have to pay the state tax, import duties on German lenses and cameras was about 20% under Trump as a retaliatory measure in trade wars. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Be aware that Leica USA will regard this as grey import so you will need to go through Leica Wetzlar for guarantee issues. 

Would they? My understanding is that US and EU products are grouped vs. ROW (rest of world). Perhaps they go off the receipt of purchase location?

3 hours ago, Sandokan said:

If you throw away all the boxes, you can confidently walk past customs and say you already had it when you left the country. Or keep the boxes and risk getting caught if they check.

Or flatten the boxes and send them and the paperwork to yourself by post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeicaKyu2 said:

Would they? My understanding is that US and EU products are grouped vs. ROW (rest of world). Perhaps they go off the receipt of purchase location?

We have had plenty of complaints on the forum so better check with them first 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, thanks for the heads up from the community. I emailed Leica and this is the reply I received:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!