Croatia - Spring meeting 2023?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would there be any interest for a meeting in Croatia in 2023? The country offers some great photographic opportunities having lots of sea, mountains, nature as well as people.

Food is good, so is the wine, and off season it is very affordable.

If there is any interest, I am willing to organize. Not sure how it works on LUG, so i suggest those interested (or not) just let me know in this thread.

• Like 1

Dear Olaf,
I would like to announce my interrest for this photo trip if corona permits, dates are convenient for me and walking distances are not too long.
I have never been to your beautiful country and it was always on my todo list, and this would be a great opportunity.
Having locals with you is such a big advantage, I can only recommend this.
Thanks for offering this opportunity!

• Thanks 1

It sounds good and I am interested - preferably before the hot summer days. 

Town or city trips are better for a meeting than one in the beach or mountains (photos of bikini clad women can be quite boring plus old men taking photos of them is quite creepy :) ).

Saying that - Plitovice is on my list of landscape spots to do. That will definitely have me interested - and that is best around spring before the sun starts getting up early, but I do not know if all the snow would have gone. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

great photographic opportunities

27 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

Plitovice is on my list of landscape

What kind of photographic subjects are you thinking of Olaf? I was once in Croaria, along the coast as far as Dubrovnik, liked that very much, but we saw few nature/landscape. On our drive back to the airport we got very curious about the interior.

13 hours ago, satijntje said:

I have never been to your beautiful country

Just to be clear, I am not a native, but a never ending guest in this country. Immigrated about 20 years ago 😉

12 hours ago, Sandokan said:

in the beach or mountains (photos of bikini clad women can be quite boring plus old men taking photos of them is quite creepy :) ).

Saying that - Plitovice is on my list of landscape spots to do. That will definitely have me interested - and that is best around spring before the sun starts getting up early, but I do not know if all the snow would have gone. 

My version of the beach in croatia is not one of sandy beaches with lots of people, but rock formations abonded and great for long exposure. 

do a search for “island Pag”, it looks like another planet…

but you are right, Plitvice, with it waterfalls and forrest would be great. 
we could organize this from - i guess - april onwards. 

11 hours ago, otto.f said:

What kind of photographic subjects are you thinking of Olaf? I was once in Croaria, along the coast as far as Dubrovnik, liked that very much, but we saw few nature/landscape. On our drive back to the airport we got very curious about the interior.

Long exposure at the seaside or nature inside. Plitvice is wonderful, Istria looks like Toscana, and we have rough mountains: bare stones, little vegetation. We have wonderful and colourfull tiny villages, fe Rovinj. As we are a small country, streetlife in our capital cannot be compared with Paris.

My guess would be nature as main subject, but here I would need support from others as I am not such a photographer. However, I am a good organizer 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, but if you want to have a wider meeting next year, don’t let the Challenge stop you 👍

You could add it to the events or organise at a different time of the year. 

The One Challenge shouldn’t overtake other ideas.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, andybarton said:

Ok, but if you want to have a wider meeting next year, don’t let the Challenge stop you 👍

You could add it to the events or organise at a different time of the year. 

The One Challenge shouldn’t overtake other ideas.

I agree, a challenge is a different thing than a meeting and this one is limited to Dubrovnik, I’m more interested in the mainland/landscape.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, let’s see who is interested: I suggest mid april, one could fly to Zagreb, from there drive to the wonderful nature we have to offer.

If we are lots of us, we can hire a van, if we are little, we can go by my car.

Assuming travel is allowed, who would be interested? I would arrange local transport plus lodging and we can have some nice days of shooting in nature.

53 minutes ago, jannes said:

If you want to visit Dubrovnik or Split and there are 1 or 2 cruise ships in the port, then you are not alone, but with 6,000 others.

That’s what I said to my son last month when he went there filming for work. He came back and told me that it hadn’t been an issue, while there were two ships. I guess October is comparable with April qua tourism

Don't forget to mentally prep for the prices in Dubrovnik. It has EU's most expensive parking in summer (10eur/hour), even more expensive than Amsterdam, and the beer in Stradun, the main throrughfare, costs... well, you'll see. But it is nevertheless beautiful.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I'll just mention that having visited Dubrovnik for a couple of nights on the way back from Athens, the restaurant which can be seen in the picture (it's where the three larger arches are, just behind the yacht marina) was absolutely excellent and also open late (last orders 11:30 pm in October) - there was also a sort of 'hotel district' just a little way back from the old town, where prices and parking were reasonable.

The most impressive thing though was the drive up the coast and the dramatic scenery and sights, and views of smaller towns by the sea, as you move up the coast towards Split and then Zagreb, you could spend a week just in the capital, walking round and taking photos.

The Euro will become the local currency on January 1st., so in a way this will make things easier but I'm not sure of the effect on prices.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...