Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, rtai said:

When I started using Leicas 25 years ago there weren’t much information even online aside from a few forums. Leica lenses weren’t collectibles then and I bought a bunch of the silver rims one after another to try and test. By testing I mean using them normally handheld at f1.4 of my kids or something. I probably had 6 of them. I didn’t know about the serial numbers whether they were 173 or 216. In fact I didn’t know until I watched your video. Anyway casually using these lenses with various color print film and viewing them on one hour lab prints the lenses shot open were very soft and glowy. I should add these lenses didn’t have haze else I would have had them cleaned. I was merely looking for a lens I could use, as a user. They all had some scratch marks usually on the bottom because when you lay them down without the rear cap the glass touches. Some were sharp at f1.4 and some were not. But the goggled samples were consistently sharp at f1.4 while the M2 version can vary. I told a tech this and he said lenses were finer tuned to match the goggles and also people who buy them tend to be light users so goggles lenses are mostly mint condition rarely used.  After that I had enough with vintage and just bought the new stuff.

Using them normally hand held is the only correct to test and try lenses in my opinion, in my opinion we can only truly judge a lens with normal day to day usage.

The goggled version I tried was the sharpest lens until about 4 meters out, what you say makes total sense. As much as I like newer modern lenses, they all lack a little bit of character, this is what I appreciate about older lenses, they all have a little something different and that added uniqueness is now something I am after.

But all of this might just be a phase yet, I found that closed down to f/4 all original Steel Rim I used were sharper and had better color rendition than the New Steel rim at the same aperture. I seldom shoot wide open as such older lenses make sense for my way of making photos.  

17 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

Using them normally hand held is the only correct to test and try lenses in my opinion, in my opinion we can only truly judge a lens with normal day to day usage.

The goggled version I tried was the sharpest lens until about 4 meters out, what you say makes total sense. As much as I like newer modern lenses, they all lack a little bit of character, this is what I appreciate about older lenses, they all have a little something different and that added uniqueness is now something I am after.

But all of this might just be a phase yet, I found that closed down to f/4 all original Steel Rim I used were sharper and had better color rendition than the New Steel rim at the same aperture. I seldom shoot wide open as such older lenses make sense for my way of making photos.  

The new steel rim is not sharp at all compared to the original apsh v2.  I also don’t like the new coating.  Selling mine…

On 12/20/2023 at 2:45 AM, rcusick said:

The new steel rim is not sharp at all compared to the original apsh v2.  I also don’t like the new coating.  Selling mine…

Wide open and up to f/2 it definitely isn't as sharp, plus it has a much more modern rendering at f/4 and up. Yet it is still a better rendering than the 35 Lux FLE both version 1 and 2 when used at f/2 and at smaller apertures. I can understand not keeping it, wondering about the same issue myself as well  

Merry Christmas! And a hope for peace 2024

Reissue at 2,4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Leica glow ! SL2 - summilux 35mm steel rim reissue in Tinos

• Like 5

I've just got my new lens. It has it's flaws with a some kind of wobbly apertur ring and wobbly lens shade even as the manufacturing date was 13/12-23. I've a question about the coating on the front lens. I could not use the ordinary lens protection cap when I mounted the ring hood, is the coating of the lens softer than new lenses? I don't use UV filters or similar for my lenses.   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, dickgillberg said:

I've just got my new lens. It has it's flaws with a some kind of wobbly apertur ring and wobbly lens shade even as the manufacturing date was 13/12-23. I've a question about the coating on the front lens. I could not use the ordinary lens protection cap when I mounted the ring hood, is the coating of the lens softer than new lenses? I don't use UV filters or similar for my lenses.   

On the reissue the coating is modern just like other modern Leica lenses, you don't have to worry about it. This said as much as I prefer shooting without a lens filter, I did damage a 3 FLE lens coating and now prefer shooting with a lens filter on most of my lenses - except the Steel Rim Reissue which I use without a filter when shooting color film or when using it on a digital M. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chapel

(Wallberg, Tegernsee, Bavarian Alps, Germany)

Leica M11 M * Leica Summilux M 1.4/35 SR (II) * Leica yellow filter * ISO 125 * f/16 * 1/500 sec * CaptureOne * SEP3

• Like 10

Last days with Christmas Spirit in the Center of Strasbourg - France

M10M with SR reissue

• Like 1

Winter Light in Alsace, France

M10M with SR re-issue

• Like 8

Patrick, thank you very much for your video! What I liked about it was that you demonstrated the real-life use and your impressions of the various lenses. As someone planning to switch from Q2 to M, which lens to chose to begin with is the most difficult decision to make and videos like yours are really helpful - although a lot of it went over my head as I know close to nothing.

And by the way, the images you show in the video are amazing! Really need to bring my to-be-purchased gear to Paris next time I get there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

M11 + New Steel Rim at f/1.4

• Like 9

On 1/14/2024 at 12:52 PM, M8X2 said:

Patrick, thank you very much for your video! What I liked about it was that you demonstrated the real-life use and your impressions of the various lenses. As someone planning to switch from Q2 to M, which lens to chose to begin with is the most difficult decision to make and videos like yours are really helpful - although a lot of it went over my head as I know close to nothing.

And by the way, the images you show in the video are amazing! Really need to bring my to-be-purchased gear to Paris next time I get there.

Thank you means a lot, my apologies as I am just seeing your comment now. 

Choosing a lens for the M is a difficult choice, a 35 Summilux is always a great first lens, but coming from a Q a 28 might be wiser. What I like about the M system are its small lenses, the smaller the better. 35 f/1.4 lenses comes in many shapes, prices and sizes. 

Next time you come to Paris let me know I am always up for a quick coffee and a photowalk. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, S/W said:

Chapel

(Wallberg, Tegernsee, Bavarian Alps, Germany)

Leica M11 M * Leica Summilux M 1.4/35 SR (II) * Leica yellow filter * ISO 125 * f/16 * 1/500 sec * CaptureOne * SEP3

M10M, new SR

yesterday, in Alsace, France

• Like 11

• Like 5

Late afternoon at the pool. M10 + New Steel Rim.

Edited by JoshuaRothman
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

M10-D, around f/5.6

• Like 2

Just picked mine up, 07//072023 production date and has the original flawed hood. Other than that, no wobble on aperture ring and focus is smooth all around. Only other thing I noticed in my copy was there was lots of visible grease in the rear helicoid when removing the rear cap and looking at the lens from behind. I hope this is normal and wouldn’t cause any issues in the future.