Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10M & SR at f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

M11 & 35er SR; Portrait Otto Dix

Edited by kretsche
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shot wide open, M10M

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Shot wide on SR 35 | Ilford HP5+ | Ilfotec HC

• Like 19

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dennersten said:

Thanks for all inspiring pictures! I got mine Yesterday. The Ollux hood doesn't snap into place. Is that common? Do i need to send in the lens, or just ask for a new hood?  

Enjoy your lens! I prefer filter over hood, so it’s always hoodless and im not sure if leica have created the new ones but you might ask

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, syndonai said:

Is the Leica reissues going to be regular production lenses? I’m looking into getting one but not in the immediate future.

Really hard to tell. From their reissue series which includes the Summaron 28 (introduced in 2016), the 35 Steel Rim (2022), the Noctilux 50/1.2 (2021) and the Thambar 90 (2017), it looks like production stopped for the Thambar which was introduced in 2017 and produced until late 2020 with -apparently- only 1,200 units made.  

Arguably the Thambar is a quite specific lens compared to the others so maybe it explains why production stopped even if the Summaron was introduced earlier.

Maybe there is an initial target of units to be produced for each model and therefore production runs until the target is met? Or is this dynamic based on demand?

Very hard to tell, only someone with insider Leica knowledge can confirm. Their strategy is not clear, I recall that rumours about the Thambar being stopped appeared late 2020 but were not officially confirmed (some claimed that even though it is out of stock, a next batch could come). So later in 2022 I called a Leica shop manager in France who in turned contacted Wetzlar and confirmed to me that production is actually stopped even if the lens is still listed on the Leica's site. He advised me to look for second hand units and stop hoping for the "next batch".  

But if it is the Steel Rim you are worried about, I still believe it is too early to call production off, that's what an experienced Leica seller told me despite initial claims that the steel rim reissue will be a limited series run. Knowing that sometimes limited runs turn out to be unlimited like the Lux 50 black chrome. And sometimes the opposite like the Thambar :)  Nevertheless, the Steel Rim has strong demand and I was told that the backlog is around 6-8 months that's why I made up my mind and bought a second hand "like new" unit to avoid later disappointment! 

So apologies if I can't give you a sharp answer, just sharing with you my observations. Hopefully a forum member comes up with more factual data... 

Edited by fil-m
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, syndonai said:

Is the Leica reissues going to be regular production lenses? I’m looking into getting one but not in the immediate future.

You never can tell with Leica. If it sells like hot cakes (or at least semi-successfully) it will stay in production until someone in Wetzlar decides to call it quits. So far all the special edition reissues are still selling (bar the Thambar as mentioned above, but it is a SUPER specific and super special lens at quite a hefty price).

On 4/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, fil-m said:

Nevertheless, the Steel Rim has strong demand and I was told that the backlog is around 6-8 months

100% not the case. I work with a retailer here in Europe and they get a few units every 3 weeks or so. This one I photographed on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

100% not the case. I work with a retailer here in Europe and they get a few units every 3 weeks or so. This one I photographed on Saturday.

Hello Al, I believe you but in my case I wanted a Steel rim in December 22, I could not find one in France. I contacted a reputable dealer in Germany whom I know very well and he put me on a waiting list with expected ETA May or June 23 (as he already had many customers on his list).

By chance I found a like-new unit in March and bought it - I unsubscribed myself from the waiting list at the same time.

So maybe it is different with your dealer or source. Sometimes the situation can also change if Leica produces a new batch answering existing demand. Or if a given dealer has higher priority for some reason I ignore. 

50 minutes ago, fil-m said:

Hello Al, I believe you but in my case I wanted a Steel rim in December 22, I could not find one in France. I contacted a reputable dealer in Germany whom I know very well and he put me on a waiting list with expected ETA May or June 23 (as he already had many customers on his list).

By chance I found a like-new unit in March and bought it - I unsubscribed myself from the waiting list at the same time.

So maybe it is different with your dealer or source. Sometimes the situation can also change if Leica produces a new batch answering existing demand. Or if a given dealer has higher priority for some reason I ignore. 

Understandable. In Vienna/Austria (Leicashop is 100% Wetzlar owned) long waiting periods are not the case.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As I am looking for a new 35, I got the chance to try a sample of this 35 SR reissue. I was quite intrigued with the results, and am almost ready to try to purchase one, except for one thing: the minimum focusing distance is really long. I did not expect that, but the rendering is very interesting, I clearly observed this "two lenses character", with a special rendering at f/1.4 or f/2 and a contrasty and sharp behaviour beyond that.

I am using both an M body and an SL body, so I am wondering, is it possible, at least when using the lens on an SL body to reduce the MFD using an extension ring ? Is that practical ? Being able to focus to, say 50ish centimeters would be just fine, I am not looking into very close MFD...

If so, I am very tempted to try purchasing this lens, although I was almost set on a Voigtlander 35/1.5 Nokton...

Edited by Xavier

As I know, the macro-adapter-M is usable with all lenses, when you have an EVF.

But remember; with the macro adapter attached, you can only focus really near distances. It's an on/off game, but possible 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, justru49 said:

As I know, the macro-adapter-M is usable with all lenses, when you have an EVF.

But remember; with the macro adapter attached, you can only focus really near distances. It's an on/off game, but possible 🤷‍♂️

Thanks! Any idea of the range ? I have been searching how adapters modify MFD and focusing range without finding anything very precise.

Just being able to get a, say 50cm-3m range when needed would be useful for example. On the other hand, choosing between >1m MFD and <20cm focus range would not be...

3 hours ago, Xavier said:

I am using both an M body and an SL body, so I am wondering, is it possible, at least when using the lens on an SL body to reduce the MFD using an extension ring ? Is that practical ? Being able to focus to, say 50ish centimeters would be just fine, I am not looking into very close MFD...

Have you looked at any of the close focusing adapters for the SL system? I've seen one from 7artisans and think others have this feature too.

-Thomas

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Xavier:

....say 50cm-3m range .... 

to be really sure, you should ask Leica.

But I'm pretty sure, that it will not work in this range. I have a set of fixed distance extension rings for M from Novoflex and tried the shortest, around 1 cm, with my M35 Summicron. The difference between MFD and infinity at the lens made only some cm difference in object-distance for a sharp image and the whole things plays around 15-20 cm distance to the object. Getting a sharp picture from 1 m distance is absolut impossible.

That's the problem with old lens-designs 😞

6 hours ago, trisberg said:

Have you looked at any of the close focusing adapters for the SL system? I've seen one from 7artisans and think others have this feature too.

-Thomas

Thanks a lot, this is indeed one of the options I am looking at.

6 hours ago, justru49 said:

to be really sure, you should ask Leica.

But I'm pretty sure, that it will not work in this range. I have a set of fixed distance extension rings for M from Novoflex and tried the shortest, around 1 cm, with my M35 Summicron. The difference between MFD and infinity at the lens made only some cm difference in object-distance for a sharp image and the whole things plays around 15-20 cm distance to the object. Getting a sharp picture from 1 m distance is absolut impossible.

That's the problem with old lens-designs 😞

This is exactly what I fear. I did some basic calculations that also seem to confirm that concern too. But you are right, asking Leica would be the best way, I will try to do so next week.

Thanks to the two of you for your replies!

• Like 1