Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, SJH said:

I can understand this but take a look back on some posts on the hood issue and you’ll see a few of us solved it by buying a shorter hood on eBay. Links to the ones that work with filters to buy in the US and Europe.

This reissue is a gem.. i love mine.. though using only with the filter.. easily my lens when traveling light

46 minutes ago, jakontil said:

This reissue is a gem.. i love mine.. though using only with the filter.. easily my lens when traveling light

Same here. I just use the filter, as I do with most of my lenses to keep the kit small and light, so it does not bother me at all. The lux pre-asph v2 is a good option for those who must have a filter and a hood, so people may look into that as an alternative. (It bothers me more that I need to use a hood on that lens to get a filter, but that’s my personal annoyance)

4 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Same here. I just use the filter, as I do with most of my lenses to keep the kit small and light, so it does not bother me at all. The lux pre-asph v2 is a good option for those who must have a filter and a hood, so people may look into that as an alternative. (It bothers me more that I need to use a hood on that lens to get a filter, but that’s my personal annoyance)

Count me in as a personal annoyance 😆

if anybody love’s characteristic of the lens, dont be discouraged getting one

• Like 1

A slightly different question as I continue to look for a more “classic rendering” lens for my M10 M (I am exclusively using modern APOs at present!), how does the reissued Steel Rim compare when stopped down in terms of rendering compared to the reissued 28mm Summaron? I think what I’m searching for is a lower contrast, more classic and smoother look compared to my APOs ….but equally don’t want an unsharp or “bad” lens, if that makes sense?

Edited by Jon Warwick

42 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

A slightly different question as I continue to look for a more “classic rendering” lens for my M10 M (I am exclusively using modern APOs at present!), how does the reissued Steel Rim compare when stopped down in terms of rendering compared to the reissued 28mm Summaron? I think what I’m searching for is a lower contrast, more classic and smoother look compared to my APOs ….but equally don’t want an unsharp or “bad” lens, if that makes sense?

Both 35SR and 28:5.6 are plenty sharp stopped down IMO. And are both amazing on M10M - two of my faves lenses for mono.

If you want slightly lower contrast 35mm Summicron V3 is a good place to start.

35Cron 8e is supposed to be awesome for M10Mono, very high resolving power even at f/2 but much lower contrast. Expensive and difficult to find mint copies free of haze and/or polish marks - havent tried one myself.

Lastly, I would like to highlight the cheap buy amazing 35:3.5 Summaron. I have the LTM version from 1958. Amazing BQ and lovely rendering on M10M. Lower contrast and still good center sharpness. Gives a great vintage BW look.

Just some input - but of course all personal preferences - and also dependent of photographic subject matter and style. I went from shooting ASPH. lenses to now only shooting pre-asph glass, apart from my 50mm 1.2 Nocti ASPH re-issue. But that is also far from modern ASPH look.

- Mads

13 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Both 35SR and 28:5.6 are plenty sharp stopped down IMO. And are both amazing on M10M - two of my faves lenses for mono.

35Cron 8e is supposed to be awesome for M10Mono, very high resolving power even at f/2 but much lower contrast. Expensive and difficult to find mint copies free of haze and/or polish marks - havent tried one myself.

Lastly, I would like to highlight the cheap buy amazing 35:3.5 Summaron. I have the LTM version from 1958. Amazing BQ and lovely rendering on M10M. Lower contrast and still good center sharpness. Gives a great vintage BW look.

Just some input - but of course all personal preferences - and also dependent of photographic subject matter and style. I went from shooting ASPH. lenses to now only shooting pre-asph glass, apart from my 50mm 1.2 Nocti ASPH re-issue. But that is also far from modern ASPH look.

- Mads

That’s really helpful. Many thanks! Seems I need to take the M10M off to the store and try some of these reissued lenses out. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. Thought I test a scene with the lens wide open at f1.4 and at f2.0. Both shot with an M11. 

Here is the one wide open. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And here is the one shot at f2.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the QC on this lens is a bit suspect, have a very loose aperture ring on my copy ( seems to be common ) but it draws beautifully on film without breaking the bank... w the originals are priced only for collectors, the reissue is definitely for the field 

here are some samples on trix

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, mcpallesen said:

- Mads

@JMF, would love to hear your thoughts or input? 😊

3 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

@JMF, would love to hear your thoughts or input? 😊

The above subject is covering a rather large number of parameters !

Shooting digital or film or  both ?

I have not tested the SR reissue and was told that on film , it is equivalent to the 35 summilux v2 pre asph in its rendering .

In my opinion, the only reissue lens that is matching the original is the 2005 35 1.8 W-Nikkor. 

Best, JM

Edited by JMF
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JMF said:

I have not tested the SR reissue and was told that on film , it is equivalent to the 35 summilux v2 pre asph in its rendering .

Best, JM

I only shoot digital - M10R BP and M10Mono.

6 hours ago, Complexity said:

the QC on this lens is a bit suspect, have a very loose aperture ring on my copy ( seems to be common ) but it draws beautifully on film without breaking the bank... w the originals are priced only for collectors, the reissue is definitely for the field 

here are some samples on trix

According to the person I emailed at Leica, the loose aperture ring is “by design”, since the original SR had a loose aperture ring lol. I’m sure Fred Miranda could confirm as he’s been emailing them too.

29 minutes ago, 28framelines said:

According to the person I emailed at Leica, the loose aperture ring is “by design”, since the original SR had a loose aperture ring lol. I’m sure Fred Miranda could confirm as he’s been emailing them too.

It's odd they don't have any problem changing up the filter and hood situation, but a loose aperture ring they copy perfectly 💀

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 28framelines said:

I looked at the ‘wobbly’ aperture videos, it looks to me just like any Leica vintage lens design to be honest, nothing to do with QC, that’s literally the design of the aperture ring in old leica lenses, go try to wobble the pre-asph lux or the 8e etc, and you’ll see they wobble just the same. Unless someone shows me a video of extreme wobbling this seems just nitpicking to me to be honest. 

3 hours ago, JMF said:

In my opinion, the only reissue lens that is matching the original is the 2005 35 1.8 W-Nikkor. 

Best, JM

Do you know where I can get one of those with M-mount? : ) It’s a great lens, and I thought about purchasing the Nikon special edition to use it as is with the Nikon SP, but I just find the Nikon rangefinder to be extremely user unfriendly compared to Leica, especially when it comes to changing aperture in the lens. 

35 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Do you know where I can get one of those with M-mount? : ) It’s a great lens, and I thought about purchasing the Nikon special edition to use it as is with the Nikon SP, but I just find the Nikon rangefinder to be extremely user unfriendly compared to Leica, especially when it comes to changing aperture in the lens. 

The Nikon S version lens head spins when you turn the focus ring and the "omnarized" conversion Skyllaney offers keeps it that way.

You're down to find an original LTM version I'm afraid !

• Thanks 1