Sign in to follow this  
Shootist

Firmware 1.108 NOT Available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is a nothing update folks . What it is, is cameras leaving the factory will have 1.108 on there camera's some parts are replaced and it is just an update for those parts so it has nothing to do with existing camera's. I actually loaded the beta on both my existing camera's to test and no changes to the camera's . Really i would call it a spec update so please don't read into it as anything else but that. There are no changes to be realized whatsoever on the performance of existing camera's in place today reason it is not a downloadable update. Best advice carry on and not too worry about it. This has nothing to do with a real downloadable firmware update that will make any user changes

So it would have been smarter for Leica to issue 1.108 for all cameras "for technical reasons" and nobody would have been the wiser....

So it would have been smarter for Leica to issue 1.108 for all cameras "for technical reasons" and nobody would have been the wiser....

I thought about that....but the flip side is how many people mess up the camera in the update process and then have to send it in for repair.

Bonjour Philippe,

What really worries me (everybody here seems to ignore that) is the fact that some of the M8 bugs could be caused by the old components. Leica could just use the excuse that they run out of spare parts. So, if that happens, our old M8 bugs could not be fixed by firmware updates.

The story with my first camera (the faulty one) being back to "La Maison du Leica" to be sold as new; the confirmation that it won't be an M8 ver.2 and the fact that Attila von Gyimes (M8 support spokeman for France) doesn't know anything about this makes me, at least, nervous.

This is not very serious coming from a company called "Leica"

Salut,

Making wonderfull cameras since 94 years is a business.

Business communication is another one!

Bonjour Philippe,

What really worries me (everybody here seems to ignore that) is the fact that some of the M8 bugs could be caused by the old components. Leica could just use the excuse that they run out of spare parts. So, if that happens, our old M8 bugs could not be fixed by firmware updates.

The story with my first camera (the faulty one) being back to "La Maison du Leica" to be sold as new; the confirmation that it won't be an M8 ver.2 and the fact that Attila von Gyimes (M8 support spokeman for France) doesn't know anything about this makes me, at least, nervous.

They made that change in March. It is called the T2 update, whereby a component is exchanged in all older cameras coming into the factory. Nobody commented at the time....

Guest guy_mancuso

Basically the new camera's coming off the line will have this update installed and reason there mentioning it to us is folks will say they have 1.108 on there new camera and than us older users will start to question what is going on. This is leica's way to give us a heads up on new bodies hitting the streets and not having to explain it. Actually i think it is a good move to just let us know ahead of time so we all don't get nervous when they hit the streets. i actually loaded it on both my M8's that date back to the beginning of release and there is simply no changes to my camera's but they wanted me and others to try it just to be sure. I have a all day shoot today and if anything pop's up i will you guys know but it seems just fine. But as you folks have seen there is already panic, relax folks all is well. now give us a real firmware update and make everyone happy is what i would like to see.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They made that change in March. It is called the T2 update, whereby a component is exchanged in all older cameras coming into the factory. Nobody commented at the time....
So what? Are our cameras eventually eligible for a T3 update then ?

Jaap,

Just for a minute, imagine that they have changed the wheel controller (mad scrolling problem) or the image processor processor (poor JPG image quality). Can you tell me how Leica will solve these problems by firmware on the old models?

(These are just exemples)

So what? Are our cameras eventually eligible for a T3 update then ?

If there would be a need and knowing Leica -yes, why not? But in this case I really doubt there is anything of the kind going on. just a change in spec on some chip needing another adress in the firmware or some such thing...

It seems to me that some people here think Leica can't do anything right. And are always looking for something to moan about.

Why not just get out and take some photos, guys?

Guest guy_mancuso

That stuff is all controlled by firmware. No digital camera can run at all without firmware . Almost all functionality of digital camera's is controlled by firmware otherwise it is a dead duck. Jpeg and menu scolling is DIRECTLY related to firmware

Jaap,

Just for a minute, imagine that they have changed the wheel controller (mad scrolling problem) or the image processor processor (poor JPG image quality). Can you tell me how Leica will solve these problems by firmware on the old models?

(These are just exemples)

I'm not imagining anything of the kind. Guy has tried the 1.108 and he tells us the difference is nil - as does leica.

Having just cleaned up this forum, I am sure that Leica send out emails like this just to make a mods's life more difficult...

I can't believe how many people get so upset over something that doesn't even affect them.

Guest guy_mancuso
It seems to me that some people here think Leica can't do anything right. And are always looking for something to moan about.

Why not just get out and take some photos, guys?

I agree Andy ,folks are acting like scared rabbits and there is no reason too be . I posted the same info 6 times already , get out and shoot. Stop sweating this stuff. i have it loaded on my old camera's as a beta test and there is absolutely no changes to my camera's and reason no one needs it except for new bodies hitting the streets, this is just a heads up so when the new bodies coming on the street have a different firmware than us we don't freak out . Apparently that is not working here this morning. okay i am going to go shoot all day and go make some money. Word of the day Relax no need to worry

That stuff is all controlled by firmware. No digital camera can run at all without firmware . Almost all functionality of digital camera's is controlled by firmware otherwise it is a dead duck. Jpeg and menu scolling is DIRECTLY related to firmware

Guy, I partially disagree with that. You can have defective chips or chips used on a context that they cannot provide the fuctions they should do.

That stuff is all controlled by firmware. No digital camera can run at all without firmware . Almost all functionality of digital camera's is controlled by firmware otherwise it is a dead duck.
As the sometimes freezing of the camera is firmware controlled ?

i actually loaded it on both my M8's that date back to the beginning of release and there is simply no changes to my camera's but they wanted me and others to try it just to be sure.

Guy, thanks, good to know. Very high probability then that the firmware itself (or maybe the loader) can tell the difference between new and old bodies. So even if you load the 1.1.08 on an old body, the code that runs is exactly the same as would run if you were using the '07 firmware.

But I'd still be a WHOLE lot happier if I knew what the change to the body actually is. Note to Leica: In the age of the internet, secrecy is generally counterproductive.

Sandy

Much ado about nothing, as the Bard says. I'm out of this discussion. It's nearly weekend -photography time

Guest guy_mancuso
As the sometimes freezing of the camera is firmware controlled ?

Only the SDS issue was not firmware related . that has been pretty well cleaned up as of late . The instances this has happened has been a long time since we have seen this and in newer models none at all. This maybe the only exception outside of firmware that I know of otherwise everything else has been firmware related. of course we have to realize anything can happen with any digital camera at any given time. nature of the beast just like your Mac or PC .

But I'd still be a WHOLE lot happier if I knew what the change to the body actually is. Note to Leica: In the age of the internet, secrecy is generally counterproductive.

Some are assuming that the change to the body is an improvement in the body, rather than just the substitution of one part source for another (necessitating a minor tweak in the firmware)

If Leica were to release an M8 v2, I am sure that they would make a big "song and dance" about it, telling everyone that it's new and improved.

This doesn't seem to be the case here.