Firmware 1.108 NOT Available

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Howard,

Yes, they were completely nonplussed.

I tried to call Herr Attila von Gyimes to ask for an explanation. He's out for lunch. I must call him back in 30 min. We'll see what he says.

I'm really piss off! This is the drop that overwhelms the glass.

Grrrr

The phrase "overreacting to a normal situation"springs to mind....

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This post makes no sense at all; Leica's mail clearly states that all M8's shipping now have version 1.108, which means that are the ones he is getting......

Clearly an over-reaction, Jaap. You're correct, it's illogical. But you saw the earlier reference, didn't you? Manuel told them he would buy only if they got a written statement from Leica that there was no 'version 2' coming. Leica sent that guarantee, so I can't blame them for feeling let down.

If they think about it, they will reinstate the order. They're just being uppity like the forum. "I'll cancel my order because your falsification made me lie to my customer." And then when they calm down, by Tuesday at the latest, they'll reinstate to get the old price.

This thread is amazing, isn't it!

--HC

A bit of a storm in a tea cup IMO, Imants make the most valid point of the whole thread "...............then if your m8 is going ok it doesn't matter...............does it?" There will come a day where something will change, if you want the latest greatest upgrade, well that's the path you choose, In absence of major upgrade in sensor quality or size, it makes little or no difference to worry about such matters. I'm sure like me, irrespective of the improvements in the next M Digital, careful consideration would be needed to actually see where or if they would be applicable to my needs.

The M8 is a lovely tool, it hasn't changed since yesterday and won't tomorrow, v1, v2, v?, whatever!

Jaap, but think if Leica had adopted the tactic of letting it out the door without telling everyone. There'd have been just the same reaction if it had been found out by someone looking at the firmware with a hex editor.

As has been mentioned, this is normal behaviour by an electronics manufacturer, Leica, who have taken a lot of stick in the past about being secretive, has decided to be honest and upfront about it.

They should have just released 1.108 for all with the usual weasel words "internal optimisation" (= no change for existing users) and we would have all been happy bunnies.

There would, though, have been a lengthy thread about how the noise has changed, the AWB is better when taking pictures in the pitch black and isn't the camera a little quicker to start up?

All of which would have caused great hilarity in Solms.

Jaap,

As Howard says when I walked in the Leica Shop yesterday I didn't had the intention of buying a second M8 because I was thinking about the possibility that after the price increase it will follow a new version of the M8.

Leica said to the Leica Shop that it won't be a new version. The owner asked for that because he ordered 60 new bodies and he knew that with a new version, these bodies will remain unsold.

So I made up my mind and I bought a new M8... ANd next day, I receive a mail telling me that, in fact, it will be a new version.

That's not nice!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, but haven't you done that once or twice? I know I have. It's sure easier to laugh at it when you're watching and not involved.

Hey, Manuel!

I know I got a little pedantic in that other thread about my views of returning equipment for exchange, but this sounds like a perfect time! Go to La Maison du Leica and explain that since the dealer was misled by Leica and hence misled you, you see no reason to keep the camera. Return it and order one of the new batch. And insist on paying the new price to be sure the camera is the new version. :D

(I'm only half tongue-in-cheek on that. I would be annoyed as well. And boy, you're quick! You quoted me before I removed the word 'nonplussed' from my post, since its accurate meaning is 'at a loss for words, not knowing what to do,' and La Maison du Leica certainly knew what to do and responded promptly! As a matter of fact, you used the phrase that first sprang to my mind: "pissed off"!)

--HC

Gee. I got up to write my boss a nasty email, but I'm having fun now! Yee-haw! I'm going back to bed. I'll check first thing in the morning to see if my M8 still works.

But now, you realize what this means, right? Leica was already doing T2 updates at no charge whenever cameras went in for warranty repairs. One of Ed's M8's went in for rangefinder adjustment and came back with T2 updated as well. If your camera goes in for failure of one of the parts we now have, the part will be replaced with the new one. Before long, there won't be 'version 1' and 'version 2' and 'initial batch returned to Solms,' but there will just be hybrids. "Lord what fools these mortals be!"

But it's sure fun to watch the thread. :)

The point is it is NOT a new version. It is just a adaptation in the production process that goes on all the time, with any technical product. The only difference is that this one happens to show up in firmware. So what would you have done next month had you found out they had changed another transistor or whatever? -I repeat this goes on all the time. All manufacturers have a clause to that effect in their general terms of sale...- Would you have traded the camera in for a new one? I think not.;)

Yes, but haven't you done that once or twice? I know I have. It's sure easier to laugh at it when you're watching and not involved.

I've have done so many times in my life :( But that has not stopped anybody from telling me I was doing so.....

The point is it is NOT a new version. It is just a adaptation in the production process that goes on all the time, with any technical product. The only difference is that this one happens to show up in firmware. So what would you have done next month had you found out they had changed another transistor or whatever? -I repeat this goes on all the time. All manufacturers have a clause to that effect in their general terms of sale...- Would you have traded the camera in for a new one? I think not.

Maybe, but I have lost trust. That's the reason I want to speak with Attila von Gyimes. I think I deserve a clear explanation.

The point is it is NOT a new version. It is just a adaptation in the production process that goes on all the time
Alright then, do you think the future firmware updates will be made for two bodies separately ?

One for old M8s and other for new ones ? :eek:

What a mess in sight!

Alright then, do you think the future firmware updates will be made for two bodies separately ? One for old M8s and other for new ones ?

As this seems a minor change they shouldn't have to make two binaries and if they do the installer should be able to detect which parts to install and which to leave out.

There is no need to panic here, everyone does this.

Alright then, do you think the future firmware updates will be made for two bodies separately ?

One for old M8s and other for new ones ? :eek:

What a mess in sight!

Nothing is impossible, but extremely unlikely I'd say

Maybe, but I have lost trust. That's the reason I want to speak with Attila von Gyimes. I think I deserve a clear explanation.

Don't misunderstand me; I can understand your agitation. But I really think this is a straw fire. I'm 100% sure there is no difference whatever in the use of the cameras and I'm sure Attila (he's a nice an upfront guy) will be able to put your mind at rest.

Forgive me, Manuel, but when you mentioned the proprietor's name in the previous thread, I thought it was a marvelous invention. To know it's real is even more beautiful.

Yes, as you said, maybe firmware isn't going to be able to fix everything. But we knew that when we bought, and we still bought. Whatever changes come in the future, we've been taking pictures with these for months longer than we would have been had we waited for the 'new version.' And I'm pleased with what I'm getting. Whatever I buy, later on I'll need to have it repaired. So what's the big deal here?

I understand, I'd be angry in your situation and in the situation of La Maison du Leica. But I agree that a) there's nothing we can do about it; and B) it doesn't make any difference anyway, so we might as well enjoy it. :)

I suppose that now that there's a new firmware version that's not meant for my camera, I'm going to have to delete the thousands of photos I've taken with it. And of course, I'll have to quit using this obsolete thing.

Larry

Guest guy_mancuso

It is a nothing update folks . What it is, is cameras leaving the factory will have 1.108 on there camera's some parts are replaced and it is just an update for those parts so it has nothing to do with existing camera's. I actually loaded the beta on both my existing camera's to test and no changes to the camera's . Really i would call it a spec update so please don't read into it as anything else but that. There are no changes to be realized whatsoever on the performance of existing camera's in place today reason it is not a downloadable update. Best advice carry on and not too worry about it. This has nothing to do with a real downloadable firmware update that will make any user changes

I've just talked with Herr Attila von Gyimes. He's not aware of this and completely nonplussed.
So are we.

I'm very happy to know that a new firmware is out (v.1.1.08) but that this will not be available to download, because i should not need it in anyway. :rolleyes:

What an info, and no wonder why many are scratching their heads. :mad: