Shootist

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, I know as a fact (have seen) that Leica is pushing refurb M8s to the dealers. I have seen the boxes complete with warranty cards as delivered, this is not something the dealers are doing. The only way to distinguish the refurb from a new unit is that the warranty card that Leica sends with the refurb camera has a *small* mark on it. A novice buyer (eg. Guy Mancuso) who does not know about this practice, if not informed by the dealer will never know he is purchasing a refurb. I am sure all Leica dealers are 100% honest however some may be sorely tempted to sell Guy Mancuso or his trusting clones a refurb :)

Edmund

I think I said that exactly if they are going to sell a refurbished camera it will be CLEARLY marked as such, so what the hell is the point of this and the warranty card will be a warranty card that is marked as such.

Guest guy_mancuso

Agreed it should have stayed locked , the most idiotic comments over a firmware release that is not intended for current customers. Parnoid is the word of the day. I'm out a here

Some times, as i read some comments, i have the feeling to be in the middle of a sect, with sectarian followers who does not want to hear any controversy. :eek:

They just beliving, yes belive blind on god Leica !

Some facts:

Yes, the first row of M8 mk I, which have been returned to factory, are refurbished.

Yes, those bodies are sold again, but as such. If the dealer is honest he will tell you that, and the selling price is some % down the list price.

Probably some greedy dealers would not ?

Yes, some users who do not read forums have still Mk I.

I got a refurbished body, and i knowingly bought it as such. This is a Mk II. OK ?

Yes, the warranty card shows a little red mark.

As Leica told us, a new firmware is out because of new components used. This is, for me, now a M8 Mk III. It will be sold with 13% price increase.

So let's look it like this: we have been beta testers, and we got the camera with a little discount. :cool:

And what the hell is wrong with it ?

The Leica M3 has got almost 40 changes during her life. :p

Some facts:

Yes, the first row of M8 mk I, which have been returned to factory, are refurbished.

Yes, those bodies are sold again, but as such. If the dealer is honest he will tell you that, and the selling price is some % down the list price.

Probably some greedy dealers would not ?

Philippe,

Dealers are not responsible of technical problems.

If Leica Camera send a refurbished body to a dealer to be sold as "refurbished", I imagine that the dealer won't pay the same price to Leica than for a completely new one. Then, it's normal that the dealer makes a reduction of the selling price. I believe a dealer would have serious problems with Leica if he sells refurbished bodies as new ones.

Concerning my first M8, the dealer paid the full price to Leica. Leica should replace the camera for a new one. Two months later my dealer gets the same body to be sold (I assume Leica didn't send a financial compensation).

When I spoke on Friday with Attila, he told me that my "old body has been repaired at Solms and can be sold as new". He said that he will send a new warranty card to the dealer. This is more than a proof for me that the Leica Shop is doing what Leica Camera tells them to do.

Yes, some users who do not read forums have still Mk I.

I got a refurbished body, and i knowingly bought it as such. This is a Mk II. OK ?

Yes, the warranty card shows a little red mark.

As Leica told us, a new firmware is out because of new components used. This is, for me, now a M8 Mk III. It will be sold with 13% price increase.

So let's look it like this: we have been beta testers, and we got the camera with a little discount. :cool:

And what the hell is wrong with it ?

The Leica M3 has got almost 40 changes during her life. :p

I do agree with you there're M8 MK-I, M8 MK-II and will be a M8 MK-III in a few days. The difference between them is not in the possibilities/functions of the camera but in bug corrections and relaiblity.

I would have paid 600 € more if Leica had told me a new hardware version will be available next month. In fact, when manufacturers change a motherboard it's for improving quality and reliability.

The problem is I got false information from Leica.

This is how I see the things:

Leica has still on stock M8 MK-II to be sold. Saying a M8 MK-III is comming in the next days, most people would prefer to buy the new version. Remember, my dealer, before ordering 60 bodies, asked Leica Camera confirmation that a new M8 was not comming after the price increase. My dealer thought that nobody will buy them if an improved version was comming.

I think Leica Camera AG were afraid of not selling the current M8 MK-II stock for the actual price of 4290 €.

Guest guy_mancuso
My request to lock the thread has nothing to do with anyone's comments.

I think this thread and topic has run it's course.

Thank you and good night.:rolleyes:

My thoughts also , it is not so much the comments but the attitude and it does nothing good for this forum. But i don't own it but this is a typical photo.net or dpreview thread gone bad.

I would have paid 600 € more if Leica had told me a new hardware version will be available next month. In fact, when manufacturers change a motherboard it's for improving quality and reliability.

Even though there is to be no improvement in performance and an unknown element of reliability of a new component?

Apart from the fact that no one knows whether they have put a new motherboard in the camera, could it not be that they have run out of the old ones (having sold them all) and have just had to go out and buy new stock?

Just like it said in the email, maybe?

My thoughts also , it is not so much the comments but the attitude and it does nothing good for this forum. But i don't own it but this is a typical photo.net or dpreview thread gone bad.

I'd like to think that this forum is above that sort of nonsense...:rolleyes:

Even though there is to be no improvement in performance and an unknown element of reliability of a new component?

Apart from the fact that no one knows whether they have put a new motherboard in the camera, could it not be that they have run out of the old ones (having sold them all) and have just had to go out and buy new stock?

Just like it said in the email?

Andy,

As I said previously I called Attila. He was very surprised and he didn't know anything about the firmware version 1.108. I read him the email we got all from Leica.

He couldn't believe. He said he will call me back after making some inquiries.

He called me back about one hour later.

He said that "le circuit imprimé" (motherboard) had changed and the composants on it needed new drivers. These drivers were provided by the manufacturers (not developped by Leica) and the only solution was a new firmware.

He said also that in November it will be a new version of firmware ("1.20", he said) and this version will be common to all bodies.

He explained me also that the French translation of the email was very bad and very confusing. He could understand all my worries.

We talked also about the problems I had with my Digilux 2, my CRON 28mm and my first M8. I told him what "La Maison du Leica" told me about my first body (back to the shop) and he confirmed me that he will send a new warranty card. He said it was normal to sell this body as new because it had been repaired at Solms.

If you wish I can give you my phone number by email (or private message) and we can organise a conf call to discuss with Attila. I don't have anything to hide. All what I have said is the truth.

Regards,