New Leica 100-400 and 105

SJH

• 3 months later...

Yes, a Leica dealer shared that they were expecting the announcements in January... will have to be pretty soon to make that come true ;) 

A couple other comments from the dealer;

-they believe the 100-400 will be like the 24-70 (a Sigma design that is improved by Leica), but that the Macro was to be a Leica design and not a reworking of the Sigma 105.

-even though Leica announced the SL21 and 24 at the same time, it seems very unlikely that the 24 gets announced any time soon.

-lastly, the dealer confirmed that this year will be a focus for Leica on the SL platform and that we should expect many announcements in the next 12 months or so. 

I do they are correct, because I have a "focus" on my SL platform this year too! :D

Brad

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, helged said:

From the Rumor site regarding 18-50, 100-400, 105, 2x, and SL3 (no mention of the 21, but this is said to be around the corner):

https://leicarumors.com/2023/02/10/the-latest-leica-sl-camera-and-lens-rumors.aspx/

The rumor about 18-50 is strange. Wouldn't that be an APS-C lens? Sigma's 18-50 is a great lens for CL/TL2.

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

The rumor about 18-50 is strange. Wouldn't that be an APS-C lens? Sigma's 18-50 is a great lens for CL/TL2.

Hard to imagine a APS-C lens from Leica, after the CL exit. Either a FF version, or nothing at all. 

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the quite reliable "Ephotozine" review site, the 100-400 so-called Leica lens is mediocre at best.

Anyway, I'll never understand why I should buy a non-oem lens for a Leica camera. The SL2 is already years behind the latest canons Nikons etc...but the REAL Leica lenses are absolutely superb and THE reason to buy the bodies. If I wanted a Sigma - they can be quite good- I'd certainly buy a much less expensive and more advanced body (AF!).

Better crop the wonderful 90-280, and get much better results.

But, since I love Leica optics, I'll accept their not so convincing SL 2 bodies.

Edited by JIEFACHE

13 hours ago, JIEFACHE said:

Anyway, I'll never understand why I should buy a non-oem lens for a Leica camera. The SL2 is already years behind the latest canons Nikons etc...but the REAL Leica lenses are absolutely superb and THE reason to buy the bodies. If I wanted a Sigma - they can be quite good- I'd certainly buy a much less expensive and more advanced body (AF!).

Because a person may want a Leica body for some reasons (UI, handling, colors, appearance, prestige, "red dot", whatever it is that tick your boxes, you name it), and a Sigma / Panasonic lens for others, like size, weight, manual aperture, price etc etc. 

Moreover, Leica is rebadging Sigmas and Panasonic lenses to resell them at a premium, but it also mean these lenses are more than worthy to be used on a Leica. 

• Like 3