Leica M11-D and some thoughts

monTeur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

Another thing I wish Leica does in the future... now that thickness is almost the same as classic M cameras (Except the screen not being flushed to the body.. which I wish they fix), PLEASE PLEASE get the height down as well.. still about 3-4mm too tall 😆 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sadly this is not the M11. but keep on dreaming!

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2023 at 4:17 AM, FranciscoChung said:

Another thing I wish Leica does in the future... now that thickness is almost the same as classic M cameras (Except the screen not being flushed to the body.. which I wish they fix), PLEASE PLEASE get the height down as well.. still about 3-4mm too tall 😆 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

21 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

Perhaps for M12... I hope.

I remember someone like Stefan Daniel explaining at the M10 launch that the rear screen had to be pushed out because they needed every millimetre of space inside the body for the electronics. My guess is that won’t change until components get much smaller. Even then there is still the issue of heat dissipation. 

20 hours ago, Kwesi said:

I remember someone like Stefan Daniel explaining at the M10 launch that the rear screen had to be pushed out because they needed every millimetre of space inside the body for the electronics. My guess is that won’t change until components get much smaller. Even then there is still the issue of heat dissipation. 

Yes, I'm sure what he was saying was accurate, but technology improves all the time, plus M12 is set to release in 2027, (if 5year cycle is correct) so we can only hope.

• Like 1

I had an original M-D, which unfortunately I had to sell.  All I can say is that it was the greatest camera I ever used.  It's a muse.  No Leica M needs a screen.  The screenless M should be the default ... the screen should be a special edition version for nerds.  If you want screens, autofocus etc, get a Q.  

A camera needs 4 controls: focus, aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  That's it.  

If you can't see what you are shooting without chimping, practice.  Seriously, just cover up the screen.  You will get better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, kkonkkrete said:

Time to give us a screenless M11!  No screen should be a base model for M cameras ... what the hell does anyone need a screen for?

Yeah, I was expecting the base M11 to be screenless. Then introduce an M11-S model which has a screen for $1000 more and 18 months later ....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Datsch said:

Yeah, I was expecting the base M11 to be screenless. Then introduce an M11-S model which has a screen for $1000 more and 18 months later ....

Why would you expect that?

A few would buy it, but not the numbers buying conventional "M".  
And.......Do you realise that each model with something removed is priced higher.  

Its a screwy proposal just based on your "wants". What market research have you undertaken and shared with Leica.    It could result in additional costs to Leica, massive shortages and loss of existing customers.

Perhaps there is a demand for some quantity of Mxxx-s.   It would supplement the M range. Not replace it. 

Edited by lucerne

vor 20 Minuten schrieb algrove:

M11D with built-in EVF (a la Viso2) would be a nice model to use.

...as long as it (EVF) can be integrated into the OVF, turning it into hybrid (HVF), and without changing the outer dimensions of the M10/M11, right ?

4 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

...as long as it (EVF) can be integrated into the OVF, turning it into hybrid (HVF), and without changing the outer dimensions of the M10/M11, right ?

Right. BUT, it seems that will not happen according to LHSA questionnaire. Guess an LEV is best we can hope for. LEV-Leica Electronic Viewfinder Camera.

Edited by algrove

vor 32 Minuten schrieb algrove:

Right. BUT, it seems that will not happen according to LHSA questionnaire. Guess an LEV is best we can hope for. LEV-Leica Electronic Viewfinder Camera.

oops, i see, now it's already LEV, a new term !  though in the context of M cameras, that smells a bit of an oxymoron, doesn't-it ?

moreover, regarding the OVF frame lines, what will happen to them in an LEV ?  i love those approximate (in)accurate lines !

11 hours ago, lucerne said:

Why would you expect that?

A few would buy it, but not the numbers buying conventional "M".  
And.......Do you realise that each model with something removed is priced higher.  

Its a screwy proposal just based on your "wants". What market research have you undertaken and shared with Leica.    It could result in additional costs to Leica, massive shortages and loss of existing customers.

Perhaps there is a demand for some quantity of Mxxx-s.   It would supplement the M range. Not replace it. 

Screens are a bourgeois concept

• Like 2
  • Haha 1