Leica M11-D and some thoughts

monTeur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/22/2023 at 6:09 AM, gotium said:

They came really close with the M-D, barring the engraving, but they tried to stuff more things into the M10-D and I don’t think it turned out right.

The M10-D was not for me partly because you need to use a menu (a menu on another device that takes 30s to connect up ...) to access some of the shooting functions: Self-Timer, Continuous/Serial, and even ISO if you want third stops. All of these I have at my fingertip with my M-D.

I spend all day working with menus on various devices; I like my photography to be tactile and haptic and pressing physical buttons ...

But TBH on my M-D I have only used self-timer once (to see if it worked -- I would use it for tripod landscapes to reduce shutter shake though), and continuous mode only by mistake (instinctively cranking the 'on' ring when it was already on) and actually I would prefer the M-D's ISO to be in half stops not thirds (to match aperture and shutter speed half stops) ...🙃

But you see my point, hopefully ...

Edited by Datsch
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I thought maybe I'll let my imagination go wild for possible future Leica Cameras.

In the World where sometimes cell phones take just as good of a photo as digital cameras, & crazy tracking abilities of Japanese Mirrorless cameras, Leica's possibilities still seem endless.

This is just for fun, not trying to stir up any pots.

M11-D

With winder that actually advances the shutter,

* Silver ISO dial on the back like M-D

* Current M11 ISO dial as Exposure,

* Wifi activation with function button next to the shutter button,

* Black Paint version.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M3-W, M2-W.. Classic MP-W...

Digital version of classic Leica cameras designs with digital back & winder that actually advances the shutter

(W for 'Rebirth' in German 'Wiedergeburt' or can be anything)

M3-WD, M2-WD.. Classic MP-WD....

Just like above mentioned, but WITHOUT digital back screen & winder that actually advances the shutter

SL2-S Monochrom ...

Why stop at Reporter edition, but go for all blacked out Mono edition.

SL2-S Titanium or M11 Titanium

these would be sick.

M6 or MP Monochrom 

Reissue M6 or MP with all blacked out Monochrom Black Chrome look with Black Logo & grey instead of red indicators, for us B/W film shooters. It will not make any difference shooting film, but sure would be a cool camera.

M11-R Black Paint 

A 100MP M11

50mm F/0.5 Noctilux

Noct lens in steroid with 40cm focal diatance

35mm F/0.9 Noctilux

with 40cm focal distance

24-35-50mm Tri-Summicron F/2

50mm F/2 Elcan (Re-issue)

Edited by FranciscoChung
  • Like 4

• FranciscoChung changed the title to M11-D imaginations & Future Leica Cameras & lenses

Beautiful! Id just add a couple of extra Values on that ISO dial. God I miss that Dial on my M10D, and I always slide the Dial to WIFI  if I'm not being careful and burn through a Battery. Oh and if you make the body Black Paint like the 262 you better blur it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Santos said:

Beautiful! Id just add a couple of extra Values on that ISO dial. God I miss that Dial on my M10D, and I always slide the Dial to WIFI  if I'm not being careful and burn through a Battery. Oh and if you make the body Black Paint like the 262 you better blur it! 

Yes same here with the back power dial.. worse when I use the leather case for it. So hard to turn it on.. also often no battery left when I go to use it.. hope M11-D changes that.

My photoshop skill is subpar and Black Paint finish is hard to achieve for me.. :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Added power On/Off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M3-W... that I mentioned above, Classic M3 with digital back & mechanical winder that actually advances the shutter.

Small round screen on the right of shutter release to serve multiple functions.

Edited by FranciscoChung
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wonderful stuff! I particularly like the exp comp dialo on your M11-D, such a logical use for that dial. That never occurred to me (and I have spent a lot of time thinking about this!). Then the iso remains on the back for that deliciously intuitive double-thumb use ... Yes, of course add 64 - 12800 and I would also say A for auto. There's just room. Make it half stop instead of third stops and that would be perfect in my book -- then matches s/s and aperture increments ...

• Like 2

I also wish future M12's back screen to be completely flushed from the side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Datsch said:

Wonderful stuff! I particularly like the exp comp dialo on your M11-D, such a logical use for that dial. That never occurred to me (and I have spent a lot of time thinking about this!). Then the iso remains on the back for that deliciously intuitive double-thumb use ... Yes, of course add 64 - 12800 and I would also say A for auto. There's just room. Make it half stop instead of third stops and that would be perfect in my book -- then matches s/s and aperture increments ...

Love your profile photo by the way haha

Great idea! I gotta improve my photoshop skill to get it done like that!  

• Like 1

Nice work - the concept looks very do-able for Leica. Next year is the 70th anniversary of the M3, and the M system. I'm sure they won't let a milestone year like that pass without commemorating it with something special.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

Love your profile photo by the way haha

Great idea! I gotta improve my photoshop skill to get it done like that!  

Here's one I did in some of my earlier -D concepts, feel free to cut and paste it in ... Your photoshop skills are great BTW ...

• Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb FranciscoChung:

Added power On/Off

thank you, FranciscoChung, for this M11-D concept drawing !  my absolute favour, absolutely perfect !

now they are finally all at the 'right' place featuring the 'right' function (for my taste at least) :

power switch, thumb rest/working shutter lever, ISO wheel, exposure dial (i make never use of), WiFi...

i love it ! will switch my M10-D for it ! saving my money for it !

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Datsch said:

Here's one I did in some of my earlier -D concepts, feel free to cut and paste it in ... Your photoshop skills are great BTW ...

This is great and perfect! Always fun to collaborate ^_^

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, FranciscoChung said:

Yes same here with the back power dial.. worse when I use the leather case for it. So hard to turn it on.. also often no battery left when I go to use it.. hope M11-D changes that.

My photoshop skill is subpar and Black Paint finish is hard to achieve for me.. :p

weird! I wonder why, i had to give up my expensive arte dimano case due to this back in the day 😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

Personally I see zero point in mechanically cocking the shutter. Just give us EFCS. Everything else is great though. In black paint (ala M-P) and brass and I’m in for sure.

I would like an EVF for long and wide lenses and maybe the ability to program a button as a playback button through the EVF. Change settings via the app, which should have full functionality including live view etc.

Gordon

• Like 3

Another thing I wish Leica does in the future... now that thickness is almost the same as classic M cameras (Except the screen not being flushed to the body.. which I wish they fix), PLEASE PLEASE get the height down as well.. still about 3-4mm too tall 😆 

Edited by FranciscoChung
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FranciscoChung said:

Another thing I wish Leica does in the future... now that thickness is almost the same as classic M cameras (Except the screen not being flushed to the body.. which I wish they fix), PLEASE PLEASE get the height down as well.. still about 3-4mm too tall 😆 

I have noticed that I prefer the shape of my M10 when I remove the base plate. This makes the camera a little lower.

• Haha 1