Leica M11-D and some thoughts

monTeur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really don’t get it , I had an M10D for 2 weeks I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever , took it back and picked up a M10R instead.

there is a sound reason why every digital camera has a screen, quick access to the camera settings. Someone suggested a wind lever to cock the shutter and a battery to look like a film canister and a count down window for just 36 shots.  Why not a add on motor drive for 3 frames per second and maybe a 250 exposure add side canisters.. lol I think the whole thing is just ridiculous but hey that’s my opinion if there are buyers out there then I am sure Leica will make it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, Harout62 said:

I really don’t get it , I had an M10D for 2 weeks I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever , took it back and picked up a M10R instead.

there is a sound reason why every digital camera has a screen, quick access to the camera settings. Someone suggested a wind lever to cock the shutter and a battery to look like a film canister and a count down window for just 36 shots.  Why not a add on motor drive for 3 frames per second and maybe a 250 exposure add side canisters.. lol I think the whole thing is just ridiculous but hey that’s my opinion if there are buyers out there then I am sure Leica will make it.

The M10D is a camera for photographers who know what they want out of a camera and don't want the distraction of a screen. It seems like that is not you... I do not own a M10D, but in borrowing one I found it to be the nicest digital M I have ever shot, precisely because it felt like an M7 with a super silent shutter, infinite film and a winder that does not kick up the shutter button after every frame (you will know what I am talking about if you have ever used a film M with a motor drive). I don't need to change the settings all the time in an M camera. Even when I the M10, it basically stayed on ISO 100 the whole time. The only things it really needs are there: focus, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation. That is honestly more than a lot of the cameras I use (medium and large format cameras). The M10D is even more practical these days since it is is possible to use an EVF or Leica Fotos. If you actually do have to change something, you can. But all the rest of the time you get a much purer and less distracting shooting experience.

In any case, I would be interested to see if there is an M11D. I am sure it would be more than I would like to spend, but I may go for it anyway. Just hope they keep the winding lever...it is the perfect balance for securely holding the camera. I don't need it to cock the shutter though...that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it is not something I would prefer.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The M10D is a camera for photographers who know what they want out of a camera and don't want the distraction of a screen

I for one certainly hope that there is an M11-D. I appreciate the concept even though it's not for me. Just a quick point to counter your sentiment above.

Most of us who grew up on film M's and currently use digital M's don't chimp and actually have image review turned off. We just appreciate the convenience of a built in screen as a GUI.

I've grown up in the digital age and appreciate the convenience of having a screen on the back of the camera. But I don't think it belongs on an M, because the original M didn't have one. At least there should be one digital model that doesn't have a screen.

The absence of a screen also makes the camera thinner and much more comfortable to hold. I want to rest my thumb on a leather surface, not a glass plate.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

I for one certainly hope that there is an M11-D. I appreciate the concept even though it's not for me. Just a quick point to counter your sentiment above.

Most of us who grew up on film M's and currently use digital M's don't chimp and actually have image review turned off. We just appreciate the convenience of a built in screen as a GUI.

I have zero qualms about someone preferring a screen. I also don't care about photographers who chimp. That is generally just a juvenile attempt to put down people who are reviewing their images as somehow not being real photographers. I work as a professional and happily look at my images on my SL2's screen when I am doing critical work. I still manage to properly expose and capture 8x10 e6 slide film for which there is no feedback at all. The M10D is a niche concept camera out of an already niche camera line. There is no danger of it ending screens in the M cameras, so I think it is a bit odd to come in and talk about how it is ridiculous not to have a screen...that is literally the point! As an example, I am terrible manual driver, and I don't go down to the local enthusiast's race track and tell them how stupid it is for them to drive manual. And I certainly didn't buy a manual car and then complain about how tough it was to change gears! That is just a bit odd to me.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/11/2023 at 11:49 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

and don't want the distraction of a screen.

Or in snarky mode: don't have the will power to ignore the screen.  But that is pure snark.  Sorry.

If I never, ever looked at the screen I might not want one, too.  But I do look at it once in a while, usually when changing a setting other than ISO/speed/aperture.  With auto review turned off I don't find the existence of a screen a distraction. YMMV.

Am 11.4.2023 um 14:49 schrieb Stuart Richardson:

...and don't want the distraction of a screen.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb marchyman:

If I never, ever looked at the screen I might not want one, too...

a screen-less M*-D body is so compact and so thin and lean, so simple, so simplistic - there is truly nihil distraction brought to the mind during the decision making process of taking a picture when it's all about the photographic sujet, then the physics for capturing the scene, and last the photographer's mind.  there is no other element in that chain that could disturb the work flow between these links.  no menu !!!  the truth is i never ever made use of exposure compensation or even just of a red letter A on the dials, be that with film or digital.  i feel the physics should be in the head and not in the camera, that's what brings the calm and certitude while one lurks around the prey to frame the photo.

obviously we are all different people with different talents, each one of us prefers her/his own camera type and the associated specific work style - in my case at least, i function best through that KISS philosophy which comes with the M*-D family.

• Like 1

Sorry to be the Harbinger of Bad News and the Long Post (Its Super Ranty). Talking to Leica Lead Engineers and Directors I was told (At least as of March) that there are no Plans for an M11-D. This is for the Following Reasons which are:

• Leica got burned hard by the M10-D. The Demand did not meat the supply until it was too late. (This always happens... People talk and then they don't buy/use them unless its a Special Edition, so thanks for making my M10-D Limited but no Thanks since my first Camera was the Original M-D.)
  • The M10-D is not just an M10-P without a Screen (Different Machining). 
  • They do not want to offer Different Models when all Camera Manufacturers cant meet demand. (Still waiting on my X2D and a Lens Set).
  • With the new Design, you can get your M10-D fix like the Nay Sayers proclaim. (The M11 Design makes the Camera more Ergonomic with a Less Obtrusive Screen.
  • The Market has shifted a lot for Leica to have fun again. (for a while at least [Please give me an M9 Titan, in my Opinion it was the Most Beautiful example of Industrial Design ever made and what the Future of the M System should've been I was just sad at the Time since I was but a Lab Assistant in South Korea])

Now a Rant as an M10-D user since Day 0 on almost Daily Basis (You can ignore this):

The M10D is one of the most Beautiful Cameras ever built. I was sad at first when I did not have my ISO Dial in Silver on the Back but an Exposure Compensation Dial, and a On/Wi-Fi Dial. This had an Adverse Problem, in that sometimes Id switch the Camera On and set it on Wi-Fi just to drain my Batteries. I got used to that issue after a While by keeping my Camera Always On (Not an Elegant Solution but I know my Baby can give me 3-4 Hours and I always carry an Extra Battery). 

The Film Rewind I found Cringe at first. After Years of Abuse I think it should be on every M! so much that I have been trying to get the Japanese built Thumb Grip for my M10M but its always Sold Out. The Edition of the EVF I found useless at first but after a While I think its a Good Thing to have if its your Only M (I use it maybe once every two Months I think).

For the use an M without a Screen and its an M-D Crowd:

I would say try One First its not simply an M10 or M10-p without a Screen. Its a Camera with different Ergonomics, and I don't just mean the Thumb Support. The Camera is thinner than any M10 as when I try using the Bottom Plate on my M10M or M10 it doesn't fit. This can be also observed when fitting any M10 Bottom Plate to it and seeing the Noticeable Gap (Hand Grip Included) making the Camera just a Delight to carry especially with just a Hand-Strap holding the Rewind Lever.

The Thinner Body and the Lack of a Screen have their Benefits. First is a Personal thing as I feel the Camera will outlast me with its Full Brass Construction (I know, I know, Electronics that is why I said Feel). The way you hold the Camera changes without a Screen hitting your Palm as you Grip it (On the Downside or Upside in my case I have a Smooth Octane Leather Alacarte on all my M's [M11, M10D, and M10M and a Thumb Indentation and Discoloration is Visible]). This is Due to the thumb being part of the Body and More Contact is applied to the Body (Or maybe I need to wash my Hands More :p ). I can also place the Camera "Screen Side" Down and change Lenses on Tarmac (I know its "Camera Abuse" but my Cameras are Kinky :p on a serious note the Faster I can change Lenses the Better). Best of all the Secret Feature! If someone approaches you saying its a Pro-Camera or something you just show the Back and say its Film. 

Conclusion:

Sorry for the Essay as my first Camera was the first M-D and I Love the System. I really want an M10-D rerelease for others to enjoy really but I do not have that much pull with Leica, just a few Nerds I chat (Some may say Argue) with a lot. I totally understand Leica's Hesitancy, you do not want to end up building a Manufacturing Line just to make 2 to 3 Thousand Cameras only. I can see a Future with the M11-D maybe at the End of its Cycle to get more out of the Established System (Or an Audi Collab.. Please give me that M9 Titan!). However, Remember its been only a Year and One Month and Leica is releasing the M11-M before the P version (I expect 2 M11-M's maybe named an M11-RM) but an M Version is Relatively Easy to build (Oops I forgot the Bayer Filter [I know its more complex lol]) and Sony did an Amazing Job with the Q2M!

P.S. Well lets hope for a new M-D because lets be real we Gimp ourselves using Leicas for the Pleasure of the Purity of the System. This applies to all M Camera's and lets not kid ourselves anything an M does that someone would claim is an Advantage (Talking about a Specific Feature like Size for Instance) you would find a Camera that does it way better. However, no Camera Package can give the Joy of using an M! What's the difference between an OVF, Lack of Video, a BnW Only Sensor, and no Screen in this Age (I say this so People don't find a Reason to tell the Other Person your Request is Invalid because my Camera is less Gimped than Yours [I don't mean this as an Insult but Infighting makes me laugh as its the Blind leading the Blind Scenario on full Display].

P.P.S. Tonight I am going to the Leica Launch Event here in Dubai and I will again beg for a new M-D. (Notice how I am avoiding to say "D" throughout the Essay XD like Books avoiding to say Uranus opting for "That Planet" instead as I work in Space and we are all ashamed of it (trust me I'm literally a Rocket Scientist [Stupid Joke and saying but I love it]).

P.P.P.S. If you got this far I must say your dedication is unparalleled! Or similar to me you got a Screw Loose lol.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Santos said:

Sorry to be the Harbinger of Bad News and the Long Post (Its Super Ranty). Talking to Leica Lead Engineers and Directors I was told (At least as of March) that there are no Plans for an M11-D. This is for the Following Reasons which are:

• Leica got burned hard by the M10-D. The Demand did not meat the supply until it was too late. (This always happens... People talk and then they don't buy/use them unless its a Special Edition, so thanks for making my M10-D Limited but no Thanks since my first Camera was the Original M-D.)
  • The M10-D is not just an M10-P without a Screen (Different Machining). 
  • They do not want to offer Different Models when all Camera Manufacturers cant meet demand. (Still waiting on my X2D and a Lens Set).
  • With the new Design, you can get your M10-D fix like the Nay Sayers proclaim. (The M11 Design makes the Camera more Ergonomic with a Less Obtrusive Screen.
  • The Market has shifted a lot for Leica to have fun again. (for a while at least [Please give me an M9 Titan, in my Opinion it was the Most Beautiful example of Industrial Design ever made and what the Future of the M System should've been I was just sad at the Time since I was but a Lab Assistant in South Korea])

Now a Rant as an M10-D user since Day 0 on almost Daily Basis (You can ignore this):

The M10D is one of the most Beautiful Cameras ever built. I was sad at first when I did not have my ISO Dial in Silver on the Back but an Exposure Compensation Dial, and a On/Wi-Fi Dial. This had an Adverse Problem, in that sometimes Id switch the Camera On and set it on Wi-Fi just to drain my Batteries. I got used to that issue after a While by keeping my Camera Always On (Not an Elegant Solution but I know my Baby can give me 3-4 Hours and I always carry an Extra Battery). 

The Film Rewind I found Cringe at first. After Years of Abuse I think it should be on every M! so much that I have been trying to get the Japanese built Thumb Grip for my M10M but its always Sold Out. The Edition of the EVF I found useless at first but after a While I think its a Good Thing to have if its your Only M (I use it maybe once every two Months I think).

For the use an M without a Screen and its an M-D Crowd:

I would say try One First its not simply an M10 or M10-p without a Screen. Its a Camera with different Ergonomics, and I don't just mean the Thumb Support. The Camera is thinner than any M10 as when I try using the Bottom Plate on my M10M or M10 it doesn't fit. This can be also observed when fitting any M10 Bottom Plate to it and seeing the Noticeable Gap (Hand Grip Included) making the Camera just a Delight to carry especially with just a Hand-Strap holding the Rewind Lever.

The Thinner Body and the Lack of a Screen have their Benefits. First is a Personal thing as I feel the Camera will outlast me with its Full Brass Construction (I know, I know, Electronics that is why I said Feel). The way you hold the Camera changes without a Screen hitting your Palm as you Grip it (On the Downside or Upside in my case I have a Smooth Octane Leather Alacarte on all my M's [M11, M10D, and M10M and a Thumb Indentation and Discoloration is Visible]). This is Due to the thumb being part of the Body and More Contact is applied to the Body (Or maybe I need to wash my Hands More :p ). I can also place the Camera "Screen Side" Down and change Lenses on Tarmac (I know its "Camera Abuse" but my Cameras are Kinky :p on a serious note the Faster I can change Lenses the Better). Best of all the Secret Feature! If someone approaches you saying its a Pro-Camera or something you just show the Back and say its Film. 

Conclusion:

Sorry for the Essay as my first Camera was the first M-D and I Love the System. I really want an M10-D rerelease for others to enjoy really but I do not have that much pull with Leica, just a few Nerds I chat (Some may say Argue) with a lot. I totally understand Leica's Hesitancy, you do not want to end up building a Manufacturing Line just to make 2 to 3 Thousand Cameras only. I can see a Future with the M11-D maybe at the End of its Cycle to get more out of the Established System (Or an Audi Collab.. Please give me that M9 Titan!). However, Remember its been only a Year and One Month and Leica is releasing the M11-M before the P version (I expect 2 M11-M's maybe named an M11-RM) but an M Version is Relatively Easy to build (Oops I forgot the Bayer Filter [I know its more complex lol]) and Sony did an Amazing Job with the Q2M!

P.S. Well lets hope for a new M-D because lets be real we Gimp ourselves using Leicas for the Pleasure of the Purity of the System. This applies to all M Camera's and lets not kid ourselves anything an M does that someone would claim is an Advantage (Talking about a Specific Feature like Size for Instance) you would find a Camera that does it way better. However, no Camera Package can give the Joy of using an M! What's the difference between an OVF, Lack of Video, a BnW Only Sensor, and no Screen in this Age (I say this so People don't find a Reason to tell the Other Person your Request is Invalid because my Camera is less Gimped than Yours [I don't mean this as an Insult but Infighting makes me laugh as its the Blind leading the Blind Scenario on full Display].

P.P.S. Tonight I am going to the Leica Launch Event here in Dubai and I will again beg for a new M-D. (Notice how I am avoiding to say "D" throughout the Essay XD like Books avoiding to say Uranus opting for "That Planet" instead as I work in Space and we are all ashamed of it (trust me I'm literally a Rocket Scientist [Stupid Joke and saying but I love it]).

P.P.P.S. If you got this far I must say your dedication is unparalleled! Or similar to me you got a Screw Loose lol.

I love my Leica M-D.  Like you, I have "only" had Leica ME and Leica M-D.  I would love a leica M11 D. The feel of leather on the back of the camera is wonderful.  But my new lens, with close focus, I would - of course - wish I could put an LCD on top. So therefore an M11 D I would welcome.

• Like 1

The fact that the M11-M is already being launched is quite worrying. Does this mean that Leica is ditching both the M11-P and the M11-D? Or are they just changing the order of the launches? Fingers crossed!

January 2017: M10

August 2018: M10-P

October 2018: M10-D

January 2020: M10-M

July 2020: M10-R

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting comments, I’ve owned both an M10-D and an M10-P and currently have the P. I prefer the look and feel of the D for all the reasons stated, but I can’t justify two digital M bodies and I need the screen for some uses (checking correct focus when taking portraits when using a fast lens wide open and I need to be absolutely certain I’ve got the shot, night time on a tripod when I’m playing with slow shutter speeds, a lot of exposure correction and wide angle perspectives). These are a small part of my photography and I don’t chimp either in my street photography but I couldn’t justify keeping a 2nd M body just for occasional use. I suspect this was why a lot of people were reluctant to buy even though they liked the idea. I might pick up a used M10-D if it were selling similar to the 10-P but it’s rarity is hiking prices by about 40% even when they come up, and it’s not worth that (same image output, shutter and design style after all). I use my M7 instead when I want a ‘film M like’ experience…. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 6:23 AM, evikne said:

The absence of a screen also makes the camera thinner and much more comfortable to hold. 

I agree.  After having my 10D for a while I tried the 10P but it felt kinda ugly with the screen and didn't like the cold glass feeling.  So I sold it.  

• Like 5

The whole camera is soo much nicer to use and hold without the protruding screen and buttons. 

Leica should really aim to have a flush screen on the M bodies like the SL and the Q. Maybe then I might consider buying an M again. 

My main complaint about the M10D after many years is that the sensor isn’t the best. Having the SL2-S sensor would have been nice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:49 PM, sebben said:

The whole camera is soo much nicer to use and hold without the protruding screen and buttons. 

Leica should really aim to have a flush screen on the M bodies like the SL and the Q. Maybe then I might consider buying an M again. 

My main complaint about the M10D after many years is that the sensor isn’t the best. Having the SL2-S sensor would have been nice. 

Disclaimer: I just got out of a Minor Procedure and was advised to sleep off the Anesthesia. I didn't because sleep is boring. I Apologize for the Rant and to my None-Sedated Future Self.

Reply:

Totally agree with your statement. Also the Previously Stated that its not as good as an M with a Screen for focusing with Longer (Although I do enjoy madlading it with the 1.4x and 135mm Apo Fully Open), it is also a Luxury Item id say for a Professional Photographer (In my case as I sell Large Landscape and Street Photography Prints through galleries its not much of an Issue), but for Wedding, Wildlife (If you do that with an M exclusively you are the best amongst us Hero!), Portraiture, and Lifestyle you have to use something with a bit less gimping. The use of EVF with the M10D is a Viable Option, but its still a bad version of any other M10.

I also Agree with the SL2-S Sensor! Paniboy did such a Good Job with that One as it used to be my Main System for Pro-Work as the Sensor Distance and the lack of requirement of a Micro Lens makes it (Please don't Flay me) the Best M Camera (I'm dead I know, I'll proceed to get my things in order).

M11-D Rant:

But as much as People (Including me) have raised concerns with the M11, its the most Pro M System hands down. The Stabilization in the EVF helped more than I Expected, and my M11 is now fulltime on EVF and Grip Duty (And She's so so Good Like so Good my SLs are only used for Video [Getting Sharp in Focus F2.8 280mm shots from an R Lens Good!]. Leica is going in my Opinion in the Right Direction with the M System! I wont ask for a built in EVF when the Camera Looks and more Importantly Operates on a Pro-Level with it on. Now can I ask for an IBIS :p just a Small One would do, a small Step or Two and id never (12 Months) complain I Promise (Unless you want to revive the M9 Titan Design Leica? Please? Pretty Please?). 

Now what's the Point of the Last Paragraph? One, Ranting is a Hobby of mine. Two, I'm now imagining an M11D more specifically M11D with a Grip and a Screen (EVF) that would cover all my needs. The M10D already has an Extra Button, I cant see why we cant have a couple more Flushed Ones for Menu Navigation. I mean take the EVF (and the Grip in my case) off and you got your Pure System with more settings that can be adjusted in Camera. Heck Leica, Include the EVF in the Box (but don't you dare take away the Metal Hot Shoe! Although I bought 4 Pieces in case I loose the Original) and charge me 1.5k$ Extra and you know id buy it in an Instant like a Good Boy ought to do (Maybe 2k$ even? Leica owns me Lol. I'm kind of sure I got Branded by them at some point, but I cant find it to Prove it!).

M11-Design Rant (See what I did there. I'll walk myself out now):

God I hate the Design of both the Bottom of the Camera and Grip. We talked a lot about the Bottom Plate removal and I can remember showing the Time it took to Replace a Memory Card is the Same, and when I went to the shop and dropped my Bottom Plate on Purpose and asked if I can do the Same with the M11 built in Li-On Grenade the Answer was "please don't we are in a Mall XD" God I love messing with my LSD :p  (Leica Store Dubai) Family (Why make a Quick Release and have the Memory Card behind a Battery that is almost Infinite, why?)!

As for the Grip who in their right mind would have a Straight Line followed by a Concave that is cut by a Slanted Line followed by a Convex that is cut by a Straight Line add to that its Imbalanced with any Lens (You just raised the Centre of Gravity...)! Why would such a Heresy and Affront to the God Emperor of Mankind ever be released and let alone designed by a German (Oh wait it makes sense after they butchered my Boy the 911 Targa with that Tiny Bumper which made it go back to its Beetle Heritage! Something is up in Germany, that Pandemic hit the Designers hard I guess). And the Mount Thingy is no Excuse when even my 8Sinn SL2S Cage has one and it all Sharp Lines (oh and why do all Video Equipment have to be a Torture Instrument, even the Top Handle why must I have to be in Pain to make Videos! A Rant for Another Day and Another Part of the Forums)!

PIXII Rant:

As for the PIXII comment, I love that system so much! Since the CL was discontinued, I made mine into an IR Version (Damaged one of the Ribbons using so no more EVF lol but working in the Space Industry it was a Breeze finding a Replacement just not the Time for the Process [Note that it was one of the Easiest Systems to modify, and on my list is Project IR DLUX but that would be more difficult for sure plus both my D-Lux's are Bape and Van's and I cannot bring myself to to do it to those so I'm keeping an Eye Out for a used D-Lux 7]. Ok back to the PIXII! I am a big advocate for the System, especially with that beautiful X-Trans Sensor, Slick and Robust Build, The Cool Menu System, and The Amazing Support (Hi David!).

But the PIXII has its downside and id sum them up in one word "Not a Fully Integrated System". It still needs time to mature and I see a Bright Future for the PIXII (Emphasize on Future). However, I have yet to send my PIXII for the New Processor which might solve these Issues (But I cant Imagine the Small Battery keeping up for much longer). I will test the New Processor before recommending it or a full on PIXII 2 (or hear me out here.... PIX-II? God I surprise myself sometimes).

I would say the PIXII 2 can be the Future of Cameras as it can be the Marriage of Computational and Traditional Photography. However, Three things in my opinion need to be Achieved and One might be Controversial to say the Least. First of course all the kinks must be ironed out, second maybe use the new 40mp X-Trans (Imagine the Image Quality of using the Center of an APO Lens! God I am drooling), and Finally (Please don't kill me for this) a Built in Battery which will allow for a Bigger Battery (If I can get 500 Shots out of it id be happy) and the Addition of a Battery Grip for longer uses and a Battery Replacement. I mean they made Integrated Storage why not go all out!. Oh and an honorable mention (Why didn't anyone do this yet?) a Lock (Maybe Biometric or Bluetooth Enabled) we solved the Issues of our Phones getting Nicked, lets extend it to Cameras! I Realize its a big ask and a Dream but I have a Dream that this function extends to New Lenses (I know I use Lenses like the 50 Rigid my Grandpa [R.I.P. Pa] used in His Youth and that locking feature might make M Users THE Target if the Big Three Applied It).

• Haha 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Datsch:

great - i absolutely love it !  i would also prefer the ISO dial the way you propose it in your M11-D concept study, that's have it at the back - but i just think it would be quite an engineering feast for LEICA to alter an M11 body that much...what do you think ?

i like this one too - one button less at the front !

but where is the fake film wind lever ?  i can't live without it !

on FOTOS i would keep resolution at 60MP DNG, permanently.

in any case, i would order your M11-D concept camera TODAY, without a doubt  !!!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 6:02 AM, Harout62 said:

On 4/11/2023 at 11:49 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

The M10D is a camera for photographers who know what they want out of a camera and don't want the distraction of a screen. It seems like that is not you... I do not own a M10D, but in borrowing one I found it to be the nicest digital M I have ever shot, precisely because it felt like an M7 with a super silent shutter, infinite film and a winder that does not kick up the shutter button after every frame (you will know what I am talking about if you have ever used a film M with a motor drive). I don't need to change the settings all the time in an M camera. Even when I the M10, it basically stayed on ISO 100 the whole time. The only things it really needs are there: focus, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation. That is honestly more than a lot of the cameras I use (medium and large format cameras). The M10D is even more practical these days since it is is possible to use an EVF or Leica Fotos. If you actually do have to change something, you can. But all the rest of the time you get a much purer and less distracting shooting experience.

In any case, I would be interested to see if there is an M11D. I am sure it would be more than I would like to spend, but I may go for it anyway. Just hope they keep the winding lever...it is the perfect balance for securely holding the camera. I don't need it to cock the shutter though...that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it is not something I would prefer.

Agree with both of these posts. I would have loved a radically simplified M, no menus, no jpg, just exposure triangle and focus, nothing else. And a screen then is not necessary.

They came really close with the M-D, barring the engraving, but they tried to stuff more things into the M10-D and I don’t think it turned out right. The power switch on the rear dial along with wifi makes it easy to leave wifi on by accident, draining the battery. In adding the EVF they left no option to turn it off (!) so you always have the clunky shutter and it also drains the battery. And the wifi barely works anyway. The thumb rest, while I liked it, is not as nice as the light weight and grippiness of the M11. And the aesthetics, in my eye, ended up looking like a spare parts bin. In the end, “just ridiculous” but in my mind because they tried to add a bunch of stuff that really got in the way of the simplicity. I’d rather just have a screen. 

• Like 1