Aperture blades on new 2022 35/1.4 Summilux

gotium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aidan,  I sent you PM to help you.  You need to return it to the dealer.  That lens was made in July 2022 when the aperture mechanism was defective from the company that made the blades/mechanism.  Its all in my PM to you.  r/ Mark

• Thanks 1

I don’t know if Leica serial numbers sequently follow an exact order, but my FLE v2 is 4890xxx with a production date of 3/3/23. It hasn’t experienced any aperture blade issues.

Edited by RMF

I just bought one from Leica USA a couple of weeks ago. Mine had a date of 2022/06/20. I was worried when I saw the date. So far no problems. I have been turning the aperture in and out a lot since I got the lens and thus far seems to be good. Keeping my fingers crossed.  

Many many thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the help to diagnose the Aperture issue with my copy of the lens. Took it over to Leica Store in San Francisco yesterday. They said they might be able to repair it but recommended sending it back to Adorama, too. Back it goes!

Incidentally, while I was at the Leica Store, I tried out the new close focusing 50mm Summilux. I'm in love with that thing and now have a preorder. Picked up a used 35mm 1.4 FLE to tide me over. That's all. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping this a little. This happened to my 14 yr old 24/1.4 a few months back. I just got the quote from an authorised Leica reseller to have it fixed and it costs approx USD$983 to fix it. I was told that vibration or impact could cause a blade to drop but I honestly can't remember when/where I would have subjected my 24/1.4 through such vibration for it to occur. Maybe it's very sensitive?!