Lightroom 6 (old) - M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't plan on upgrading to subscription based Lightroom. Is there a way to use Lightroom 6 and integrate Camera Raw that has support for M11?
What do people do nowadays, everyone is on Lightroom cloud or moved to C1?  ...or if I continue using Lightroom 6 and convert all raw files to dng I shouldn't care?
Thanks.

• Like 1

well you can always shoot JPG's and open them in lightroom 6. not sure why you buy fancy camera if you don't have the money for software in the last 5 years!
you can update camera RAW.

DNG are opens source format, it doesn't always open everywhere until un update comes out, but if you don't get the latest profiles you will not get any good colors with the raws.

I would say look for alternatives. I am sure you can make your rounds of the 30 days trail periods and fine one the is in your price range.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mirekti said:

What do people do nowadays, everyone is on Lightroom cloud or moved to C1?  

Lightroom Classic does not require any cloud use, unlike the other version now called Lightroom.  For ten bucks a month, one gets both LR Classic and Photoshop.  LR Classic controls and features are also massively improved from LR6, and include all current gear updates. I spend less now than I did using the old Adobe model, and can still cancel at any time (if, for instance, they ever mandate cloud use). No-brainer value for me.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

If you wanted the correct adobe standard profile for the M11 (or any camera not supported by older adobe) you can download FOC the adobe DNG converter, convert an M11 DNG to DNG (yes that works) then download FOC adobe DNG profile editor, open the converted DNG and extract the adobe profile and save it into the correct folder on your system

Alternatively I did all that when the M11 was released, so I've attached the correct file.

Not sure if you're a mac or windows user, but the file goes in one of these locations

Mac

/Users/*your-username*/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Win

C:\Users\*your-username*\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles 

Adobe Standard (LEICA M11).dcp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Lightroom Classic does not require any cloud use, unlike the other version now called Lightroom.  For ten bucks a month, one gets both LR Classic and Photoshop.  LR controls and features are also massively improved from LR6, and include all current gear updates. I spend less now than I did using the old Adobe model, and can still cancel at any time (if, for instance, they ever mandate cloud use). No-brainer value for me.

Jeff

I get you. This is exactly what I am struggling with. I am somehow old fashioned and would have paid much more to be able to "own" the software.
The idea of paying a subscription is so repulsive to me no matter how cheap it is. The price itself was never an issue.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Lightroom Classic does not require any cloud use, unlike the other version now called Lightroom.  For ten bucks a month, one gets both LR Classic and Photoshop.  LR Classic controls and features are also massively improved from LR6, and include all current gear updates. I spend less now than I did using the old Adobe model, and can still cancel at any time (if, for instance, they ever mandate cloud use). No-brainer value for me.

Jeff

Although I've posted a work a round above, I'm with Jeff, I begrudgingly went to LRC from LR6 when I switched to mac at the start of the year and LRC is SO much better than LR6, if you like LR for editing then it's highly unlikely that you'll regret going to the newer adobe product

9 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I get you. This is exactly what I am struggling with. I am somehow old fashioned and would have paid much more to be able to "own" the software.
The idea of paying a subscription is so repulsive to me no matter how cheap it is. The price itself was never an issue.

To each his/her own.  I look at it merely as a cost spreading payment method.  I still control whether to use the product or not:  if I like it, no reason to switch; if not,  I’ll need to take steps to migrate to new software regardless.  For now, it gives me all I want and need. And at a very reasonable cost…a pittance compared to my overall photography costs.

Jeff

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

To each his/her own.  I look at it merely as a cost spreading payment method.  I still control whether to use the product or not:  if I like it, no reason to switch; if not,  I’ll need to take steps to migrate to new software regardless.  For now, it gives me all I want and need. And at a very reasonable cost…a pittance compared to my overall photography costs.

Jeff

Pardon my ignorance, but I'd have another question. If one moves to LRC, I would assume the Catalog would need to be upgraded.
What happens if one decides to stop using subscription at one point in time? Would one still have access to the Catalog and all the previously made edits, but couldn't do new edits anymore or one would be left with DNGs on the hard drive, loose all the edits and no access to software?

Just now, mirekti said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'd have another question. If one moves to LRC, I would assume the Catalog would need to be upgraded.
What happens if one decides to stop using subscription at one point in time? Would one still have access to the Catalog and all the previously made edits, but couldn't do new edits anymore or one would be left with DNGs on the hard drive, loose all the edits and no access to software?

There are many discussions about this online… bottom line, I’m not worried about losing pics or edits.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

There are many discussions about this online… bottom line, I’m not worried about losing pics or edits.

Jeff

Fair enough. Let me google this a bit more. It's still hard to get used the idea I would be paying a time based subscription compared to purchasing the software. 👼

8 minutes ago, mirekti said:

doesn't ask you to do a backup every other week?

I also still use Lightroom 6 and haven't had any problems with my M11. As All Brown said above, DNG imports into 6. I then export a Tiff to Photoshop for the final file because I find it easier and better to do the final tweaks in Photoshop. 

7 hours ago, mirekti said:

Yeah i feel you… with all these subscriptions system

10 hours ago, mirekti said:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/cancel-cc-subscription-photos/

If your subscription expires, you can continue to use Lightroom Classic excluding the Develop module, Map module and mobile sync. Photoshop also stops working, of course.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mirekti said:

I don't plan on upgrading to subscription based Lightroom. Is there a way to use Lightroom 6 and integrate Camera Raw that has support for M11?
What do people do nowadays, everyone is on Lightroom cloud or moved to C1?  ...or if I continue using Lightroom 6 and convert all raw files to dng I shouldn't care?
Thanks.

The short answer and solution, I think, is that YES, you can use LR6 for M11 files. The profile to use is Adobe Standard. 

The longer answer is that.

1) I think many moved to Capture One for reasons of disagreement with the subscription model, which is one solution that requires some learning to get into. It took me importing 4,000-6,000 pictures before it sat in the fingers and I preferred C1 to Lightroom. Capture One also now pushes subscription.

2) Subscribing to Adobe is not that bad: You have to find a good subscription plan for "Adobe Photography" (use any country location, student login, or whichever) so you have the access to the always most recent Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. I think it's $20 a month for this, and $55.00 for ALL Adobe products (if you need some of them). 
The controversy on this, I think, arise as Adobe heavily push their Lightroom CC which should be avoided (often simply called Lightroom or Photoshop Lightroom), because it is entirely cloud-based so you will need software and online space (for no other reason than that Adobe can get more subscriptions) and suddenly your files have to go via the cloud.

The Lightroom Classic 11 version is downloaded via the internet, paid monthly, but is essentially like buying Lightroom on a CD and installing it, and then get updates downloaded whenever there are new versions available. Payment is per month, instead of one flat fee. One can do the calculation, and most likely subscription software is not a bad idea as any downloaded software tend to be obsolete at one point when systems change; and then you have to buy an entire new installation anyways. 

Adobe Lightroom 6 will end support by January 2024. Already now, you can re-download the software at Adobe Lightroom 6 download and if you have a newer Mac it will not run the installation as the newest system software doesn't support the LR6 software anymore (or rather; Adobe didn't update the software for the new Apple OS).

Hope this helps. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Overgaard said:

The short answer and solution, I think, is that YES, you can use LR6 for M11 files. The profile to use is Adobe Standard. 

You won’t get the adobe standard profile for the m11 in LR6, adobe stopped supporting LR6 around 2017 (you won’t even get M10-P or M10R adobe standard options in LR6)

There is a work a round for this see, my post #5 in this thread

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overgaard said:

The longer answer is that.

1) I think many moved to Capture One for reasons of disagreement with the subscription model, which is one solution that requires some learning to get into. It took me importing 4,000-6,000 pictures before it sat in the fingers and I preferred C1 to Lightroom. Capture One also now pushes subscription.

2) Subscribing to Adobe is not that bad: You have to find a good subscription plan for "Adobe Photography" (use any country location, student login, or whichever) so you have the access to the always most recent Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. I think it's $20 a month for this, and $55.00 for ALL Adobe products (if you need some of them). 
The controversy on this, I think, arise as Adobe heavily push their Lightroom CC which should be avoided (often simply called Lightroom or Photoshop Lightroom), because it is entirely cloud-based so you will need software and online space (for no other reason than that Adobe can get more subscriptions) and suddenly your files have to go via the cloud.

The Lightroom Classic 11 version is downloaded via the internet, paid monthly, but is essentially like buying Lightroom on a CD and installing it, and then get updates downloaded whenever there are new versions available. Payment is per month, instead of one flat fee. One can do the calculation, and most likely subscription software is not a bad idea as any downloaded software tend to be obsolete at one point when systems change; and then you have to buy an entire new installation anyways. 

Adobe Lightroom 6 will end support by January 2024. Already now, you can re-download the software at Adobe Lightroom 6 download and if you have a newer Mac it will not run the installation as the newest system software doesn't support the LR6 software anymore (or rather; Adobe didn't update the software for the new Apple OS).

Hope this helps. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would recommend the $9.99 plan if you do not need the 1TB cloud storage.

I pay £9.99 a month for Lightroom, Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, and Bridge (there is also other stuff I don't use, like the included 20gb storage and Photoshop Mobile, plus others) and it's never been easier, they update themselves, and I think works out cheaper long term than the old system of purchasing updates outright. I think you have to consider how much you'd spend on a subscription vs how much you paid for your camera and lenses, one is a consequence of the other.

• Like 2