CL focussing problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over recent weeks, I have noticed an intermittent failure of my CL to focus correctly.  It seems to occur only when using the 18-56 lens, and generally only once in a day's casual shooting.  Even when I switch to manual focus, I am unable to achieve a sharp image.   If I change to the 11-23 lens, focus is perfect.  If I change back to the 18-56, the problem generally has cured itself.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this fault, or may have an explanation as to why it occurs. 

1 hour ago, mspil said:

Over recent weeks, I have noticed an intermittent failure of my CL to focus correctly.  It seems to occur only when using the 18-56 lens, and generally only once in a day's casual shooting.  Even when I switch to manual focus, I am unable to achieve a sharp image.   If I change to the 11-23 lens, focus is perfect.  If I change back to the 18-56, the problem generally has cured itself.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this fault, or may have an explanation as to why it occurs. 

The only time I've ever had focus issues with the CL is with Sigma lenses - they're generally slower than the TL lenses and sometimes miss focus altogether.  Though if you're only having a problem with the one lens, and even with manual focus, that suggests a fault with that particular lens (rather than the camera), to include the focus-by-wire system.  Have you contacted Leica support?  Is the lens still under warranty?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rick in CO said:

I have noticed the issue, switching from spot focus to the multi-point "field metering", as the instructions call it, solves the problem.

I'd call that a workaround rather than a solution

Thank you to all for these suggestions. Obviously, my first move is to clean the contacts, as that is simple and logical.  The lens is not under warranty. The problem has occurred both in multi-point metering and in spot metering.  I will be using the system quite extensively tomorrow at a local car show, so that will be a good opportunity to ascertain whether clean contacts solve the issue.  I will report back in due course.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, the signs are good.  I cleaned the contacts, and made a couple of hundred images last week, using both the 18-56 and the 11-23.  The focus problem did not occur, so I am optimistic that wda's suggestion may have hit the spot.  Always difficult to be sure with intermittent problems, but my fingers are firmly crossed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...