How much of an M body is Leica vs outsourced?

kuchars22

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:22 AM, Datsch said:

Of the course the real question here is whether the cows are Cows: Milking Only Shorthorns (CMOS) or Cows: Continental Dairy (CCD) 😉

Hello Datsch,

And don't forget the Hungarian Yaks that Leitz used as a source for the brown felt that they used inside their middle 20th Century lens caps.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, 250swb said:

I think you can safely say that Leica do not make or refine any of the raw materials that go into their cameras, so the answer is zero. They don't have facilities for making batteries, they don't manufacture the paint or have a field of Leica cows from which to make leather straps. But neither do Rolex have a factory making glass or Rolls Royce a factory making tyres. From which you should assume that like any manufacturer they buy in the parts they need and assemble them to Leica's own specifications. So just like Rolex can use Zenith movements the only thing to consider is 'does it tell the time' or in the case of Leica 'can it take a snap'.

A workshop attendee once asked Jay Maisel if he made his own prints.  He replied that no, he did not.  The dismayed student said, "I can't believe you don't make your own prints!!"  Jay replied, "I don't make my own paper and ink, either."

There's something to be said for sticking to what you are best at and outsourcing the rest to others who are best at their particular specialty.