Back-focusing Leitz Canada Summicron

Geordiepete

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I received my lens back from Don Golberg a week or so ago. Wow, back to it's perfect focus. Love this lens! Love it's colours too. Thanks, Don!

Tiny niggle. It's now tighter to focus at the near distances. No idea why. He says he's fix that for free (of course), but I don't fancy paying the $140 or so for the return shipping. He aso said I can try rotating the focus barrel all the way in and out. Must have done that hundreds of times so far, but I don't think it's helped. Nothing else I can do besides those two things?

Anyway, am very glad to have the focus repaired, it's not not a fast and easy focusser like it was before.

14 minutes ago, Geordiepete said:

Thanks guys! I received my lens back from Don Golberg a week or so ago. Wow, back to it's perfect focus. Love this lens! Love it's colours too. Thanks, Don!

Tiny niggle. It's now tighter to focus at the near distances. No idea why. He says he's fix that for free (of course), but I don't fancy paying the $140 or so for the return shipping. He aso said I can try rotating the focus barrel all the way in and out. Must have done that hundreds of times so far, but I don't think it's helped. Nothing else I can do besides those two things?

Anyway, am very glad to have the focus repaired, it's not not a fast and easy focusser like it was before.

Did you ask Don if he would cover, or at least help reduce or split, shipping cost?

Jeff

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:00 AM, Jeff S said:

Did you ask Don if he would cover, or at least help reduce or split, shipping cost?

Jeff

I didn't ask. Dunno, thought it might seem a bit rude. Still, he he'd be free to say no. Thing is, it's $70 either way. Also, even Don covered his side (the return shipping) of the cost, that'd be one of those expenses my wife wouldn't be happy about, and I try to avoid those.

Edited by Geordiepete
misspelling

11 minutes ago, Geordiepete said:

I didn't ask. Dunno, thought it might seem a bit rude. Still, he he'd be free to say no. Thing is, it's $70 either way. Also, even Don covered his side (the return shipping) of the cost, that'd be one of those expenses my wife wouldn't be happy about, and I try to avoid those.

You own an M9 and a number of other lenses and $70 is a big issue?  That probably wouldn’t buy a Leica lens cap. But I’m also no marriage counselor.  Anyway, a matter of your priorities; whatever works.  

FWIW, Don is a reasonable guy, and maybe he has a business shipping account that can provide a shipping label and insurance, assuming you don’t carry your own gear insurance to save shipping costs.  If there wasn’t a focusing action issue before he repaired the lens, I don’t see how it would be considered rude on your part for making it right again; frankly without any expense. 

Jeff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

You own an M9 and a number of other lenses and $70 is a big issue?  That probably wouldn’t buy a Leica lens cap. But I’m also no marriage counselor.  Anyway, a matter of your priorities; whatever works.  

FWIW, Don is a reasonable guy, and maybe he has a business shipping account that can provide a shipping label and insurance, assuming you don’t carry your own gear insurance to save shipping costs.  If there wasn’t a focusing action issue before he repaired the lens, I don’t see how it would be considered rude on your part for making it right again; frankly without any expense. 

Jeff

It's not just $70, it's another $70 to send a lens back whose focus was beautifully repaired save that it was reassembled in a way that made the focus too tight at the all-important close distances. The focus action was sweet previously.

But I agree, it wouldn't be rude to ask him more about whether or not he has insurance to handle the return shipping. I'll ask him that, thanks for the suggestion. I guess my hgesitancy also had to do with when I asked a few technicians a few years ago and one in particular (not Don) was especially snappy when I was simply asking a couple of questions to make sure I'd be satisfied. But yes, Don seems a good guy.

That said, even if he does have insurance that covers return shipping labels, I doubt he could have access to a Japan Post shipping label (I'm in Japan). Still, I'll never know unless I ask, which I'm about to do right now.

Edited by Geordiepete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Geordiepete said:

It's not just $70, it's another $70 to send a lens back whose focus was beautifully repaired save that it was reassembled in a way that made the focus too tight at the all-important close distances. The focus action was sweet previously.

I know, based on what you’ve already described. And for me, that would be all the more reason to spend the relatively small amount and get back a lens that you again enjoy handling. Again, depends on your priorities.  The lack of smooth focus action would irritate me a lot more than the cost of a disappointing dinner.  YMMV. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

$140 shipping cost?  Are you in the states?  

Regarding the stiff focussing, I'd consider that unusual for a CLA'd lens.  With my personality it would bother me to the point I'd pay the extra $ to have it fixed now.  In six months you will not even think of it.  If you don't fix it now, in six months you'll turn that stiff focus ring feel like having it fixed.  

You have a great lens (I have a 50mm 2.0 Midland) and worth keeping it functioning as-new.  

• Like 1

Don fixed the sticky focus action on my 50 Summilux ASPH for $90, including both repair and shipping, but I’m in the US. I wonder if there are any good third party repairers in Japan who could do the job for a similarly small amount.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S