Voigtlander Options

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ever since it's introduction, I've had the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II with my Leica M10-P.

Early this year I sold it and purchased the Ultron 35mm f/2 II because I needed a lens that was lighter and smaller for trips that I would be making. I'm very pleased with this.

Now I'm contemplating reacquiring a f/1.2 lens. My other lenses near this focal length are the 35mm are the 28 Summicron and the 50 Summilux, which I will not sell.

Wondering if I should get the 35mm f/1.2 III or the 40mm f/1.2. I do have a Visoflex 2 so lack of frame lines for 40mm don't matter.

Thoughts please. 

Edited by rramesh

36 minutes ago, rramesh said:

Wondering if I should get the 35mm f/1.2 III or the 40mm f/1.2

i cant speak about the 40mm, but i have the CV 35mm f1.2 III. i understand it's a tad smaller and lighter compared with the version you had.

i find the ergonomics to be manageable on the 246 and it's not hard to nail focus wide open (i have bad eyesight and use liveview or EVF).

i like the IQ and the bokeh, but there is some wavy distortions (not mission critical for me) - i've previously posted 3 images somewhere on this forum, but i've consolidate them here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can not help you regarding Nokton 40 1.2 but I used to own Nokton 40 1.4 and now Summicron 40. 40mm seems, on the paper, quite similar to the 35mm lens but to me it produces rather different "atmosphere/feeling" of the scene. So be cautios regarding 35 vs 40 mm lens.

Nokton 40 1.4 MC is great lens, very nice for BW, sharp, relatively small, affordable. Colors are definetly different (worse to my eyes) comparing to Summicron.

16 hours ago, otto.f said:

Can you tell us the apertures?

all shot at f1.2. I have a yellow green filter attached which cuts about 1 stop of light. the images are very usable wide open - which is not always the case with fast glass.

13 hours ago, rramesh said:

The III is even smaller

my understanding is that the mk. III is a slight resign with 1 element removed - hence the size and weight savings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1